Quantcast KVCD: Compatibility vs Watchability? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
08-18-2003, 12:24 PM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to schale01
Alright I’ve been scouring the forums for a few days now and from what I’ve seen there are about a dozen different ways to encode KVCD format. My question which I have yet o find is, what settings or methods I need to use to make the KVCD I produce playable in as many stand-alone players as possible.

Here’s my goal, I have some video footage that has been encoded to MPEG4 (ranging from divx to Xvid) A lot of the footage is animation, or computer graphics and I have found that it encodes very well at low bitrates.

My current method involved using TMPG to encode the source directly to a burnable MPEG file w/ audio. I am using TMPGEnc Plus v2.520.54.163
This seems to work well enough but I’m open to ideas to improving the quality of my encodes. I’d like to maintain the quality from the source as much as possible but my real concern is that the media be playable in MOST standalone players.

Basically I’d like to know what have you guys been doing that has worked well for you to make you KVCDs compatible with the majority of the DVD players out there. Your suggestions are very welcome.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

08-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Free Member

It's hard to say b/c there are so many different players out there. My player, Philips 724, only likes 352x240 in MPEG1 mode.

If you have access to the types of players you will be playing them on . . . say for instance family and friend's players, then you should burn the KVCD compatability image and take it to the players and see what happens. It's got the 6 different main formats, and you can see which work and don't. The formats are:

kvcd-352x240 ulbr
kvcd-352x240 lbr
kvcd-352x240 PLUS
kvcd-352x480 PLUS
kvcd-704x480 PLUS
kvcdx3 528x480

Only the first three will play on my player.
08-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schale01
I?d like to maintain the quality from the source as much as possible
That won't be the case, if you are re-encoding MPEG-4 (DivX/XviD) to MPEG-1/2
Unless you're doing DVD backups, or other high quality material conversions to KVCDs, your results won't be very good.
This also applies to any DivX/XviD -> VCD/SVCD conversion. Not necessarily to KVCDs.

-kwag
08-19-2003, 07:27 AM
Free Member

Here's the thread for the compatibility image that Kwag created:

Compatibility Image
03-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Free Member

@Rated:

Hi I'm a newbie and I have the same DVD player. I encode with TPMGEnc using the SKVCDX3 PAL template for PAL AVI files (25fps) and de SKVCDX3 NTSC Film template for NTSC AVI files (23.976 fps). I do this frame serving from VirtualDub, and encoding the audio with TPMGEnc, from the wav files obtained form VirtualDub (in the VBR case) or from HeadAC3he (if the sound in the AVI is AC3 (I downloaded the templates a long time ago when they include the audio encoding parameters).

The only thing I've changed after doing some tests is the resolution:

NTSC: 528x480 -> 704x480
PAL: 528x576 -> 704x576

With these settings I can see the movies fine in my TV (Philips DWIDE 32") and hear a acceptable sound in my Bose Lifestyle 30 Series II.

I don't know if I doing something that can be done in a better manner but i converted about 100 films in that way and have no problems at all.

I choose to increase the resolution of the AVI files resizing them to a wide of 704 pixels (using the lanczos3 algorithm form VirtualDub), because I think that in this manner I don't loss any information from the AVI file (I do this even if the resolution of the file is lower than 528 pixels wide). The results are stunning.

Also I always increase the minimum bit rate setting to 1200 (i found that this eliminates some pixelation an plane tones in the low motion scenes), use a fixed CQ value of 28 and increase or decrease the maximum bit rate setting of the CQ settings in TPMGEnc to adjust the size of the movie to fit in 2 CD's (because I find a more linear relationship between the size of the file and the maximum bit rate than the Quality setting). I use MPEG2 because I think that is better than MPEG1 (but I never tried to use MPEG1)

I hope that this help you.

Regards,
Juancho.
(I've posted this in the other thread too, I hope that you had the "Notify me when a reply is posted" on in any of the threads, so you read this.
03-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Free Member

Do not double post please !
http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....812&highlight=