Quantcast DVCD vs VCD 2.0 - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-12-2003, 02:05 AM
Free Member

Sometimes my standalone displays "VCD 2.0" when inserting a KVCD and other times it displays "DVCD". What is the difference??

This is with different cd's but they are all made at the same resolution of 544x576.

A friend of mine borrowed two cd's I made, and both were 544x576. The first one displayed "VCD 2.0" and played perfectly, but the other was pixelated and wouldn't play at all. (The second one displayed "DVCD" in my standalone).

What is causing the standalone to see a cd as "VCD 2.0" or "DVCD"?
I tried to burn with both Nero and VCDEasy, with no difference.

Could it be the if I use BBMpeg or TMPGEnc to mux the video? I have been using both, but don't remember which one I used with those two movies. (I have to test this...).

Still I would like to know the difference between "VCD 2.0" and "DVCD", and what is causing the player to see it in different ways?

Anerboda
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to el_mero_zooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anerboda
Sometimes my standalone displays "VCD 2.0" when inserting a KVCD and other times it displays "DVCD". What is the difference??

This is with different cd's but they are all made at the same resolution of 544x576.

A friend of mine borrowed two cd's I made, and both were 544x576. The first one displayed "VCD 2.0" and played perfectly, but the other was pixelated and wouldn't play at all. (The second one displayed "DVCD" in my standalone).

What is causing the standalone to see a cd as "VCD 2.0" or "DVCD"?
I tried to burn with both Nero and VCDEasy, with no difference.

Could it be the if I use BBMpeg or TMPGEnc to mux the video? I have been using both, but don't remember which one I used with those two movies. (I have to test this...).

Still I would like to know the difference between "VCD 2.0" and "DVCD", and what is causing the player to see it in different ways?

Anerboda

VCD or VCD2.0 will allow you to create menus, chapters, etc,,,using vcdeasy of course.
My guess is that it could be bbmpg maybe throwing in diff headers, met lines etc...

"Stands for Double VideoCD -- pretty popular format in mainland China.
Format itself is nothing new really, its just a regular VideoCD overburned to include 90 to 99mins per CD, compared to regular 74mins per CD in standard VideoCD format. "
http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/terms/dvcd.cfm

As the pixelation goes,,
does it pixie on both players? same cd?
What speed was it burned at?

ztr
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Free Member

Quote:
As the pixelation goes,,
does it pixie on both players? same cd?
What speed was it burned at?
It was the same cd used in both players, and it was only in one of them there was pixelation. I burn all my KVCD at 8xspeed (the slowest speed my burner allow).

So my first thought was that the other player didn't play KVCD's at 544x576, but I have another KVCD also at 544x576, and when we inserted this one, the player displayed "VCD 2.0" and played the cd perfectly..?!

Are there any standards that would indicate that the player should see it as a "DVCD" or a "VCD 2.0"?

Anerboda
11-12-2003, 05:29 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anerboda

Are there any standards that would indicate that the player should see it as a "DVCD" or a "VCD 2.0"?

Anerboda
The only way I could think that the player could identify the media, and select "DVCD" instead of "VCD", would be by determining that the MPEG is VBR and not CBR. Then it would turn on the "DVCD" light.

-kwag
11-15-2003, 02:04 PM
Free Member

DVCD means doubleVCD and describes files more than 799 MB on a CD-R