Quantcast Overburn Fails, but the Disk Still Seems to Work to End? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Free Member

works fine?

I got that in Nero 6 today. VCDEasy said the final size would be 808MB so I made the image anyway. (I don't burn in VCDEasy just make the image file)

Loaded it up in Nero, burned and it failed right at the end, but it seems to work fine....?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Free Member

When you burn your movie, nero needs to write a header and a footer with the 800 MB of data. This is required by the CDR standard.

The header is 28 MB, the footer 15 MB. The header is before the data, the footer at the very end (that's logical )

Whithout the header, you can't read the disc so it is absolutly necessary to have it.

It is not the same with the footer. You need it only to "close the session". That means that a disc without a footer is just like an unclosed multi-session disc.

Normally a VCD must be closed (required by the standard) but almost all DVD players accept to read a non closed VCD. That's why you can still read the disc even if the burning failed during the closing of the session.
11-16-2003, 07:39 AM
Free Member

If you burn it direcly with Nero there you don't get a failure.
11-16-2003, 08:34 AM
Free Member

Yes you have !

When you have too mucj data to fit on a disc there is no tool that can put them in force !
11-16-2003, 08:36 AM
Free Member

Hm I haven't any Poblems if I burn with Nero. VCDEasy makes a little bit trouble.
11-16-2003, 12:15 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encoder Master
Hm I haven't any Poblems if I burn with Nero. VCDEasy makes a little bit trouble.
There are to manyl other factors to involved. Your burner and media may be different then mine.
11-16-2003, 01:16 PM
Free Member

Quote:
There are to manyl other factors to involved. Your burner and media may be different then mine.
Yes as you say. Perhaps I can overburn more material.
11-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2honda
works fine?

I got that in Nero 6 today. VCDEasy said the final size would be 808MB so I made the image anyway. (I don't burn in VCDEasy just make the image file)

Loaded it up in Nero, burned and it failed right at the end, but it seems to work fine....?
Hi audi2honda,

If you haven't done so already, make sure to check the last few minutes of your movie for any strange artifacts/skipping/etc during playback. On my standalone, I've found there are usually some glitches towards the end of a movie when I try to play a disc that failed during the final stages of burning (though your results may differ). Also, I've found that these types of failed discs sometimes will continue spinning forever in my dvd player if I do not manually stop/eject the disc or powerdown at the end after watching it (probably due to the lack of the "footer" info that Dialhot mentioned), and this obviously would add unwanted "wear and tear" to the player's drive. So if I fell asleep while watching one of these kinds of discs, it would spin in my standalone for hours! Not good.

If these things sound like they might be a problem for you, then you might want to consider re-burning your disc. If not, then just enjoy the movie and consider yourself lucky because you didn't make another drink coaster !

-d&c
11-16-2003, 03:21 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by audi2honda
works fine?

Hi audi2honda,

If you haven't done so already, make sure to check the last few minutes of your movie for any strange artifacts/skipping/etc during playback. On my standalone, I've found there are usually some glitches towards the end of a movie when I try to play a disc that failed during the final stages of burning (though your results may differ). Also, I've found that these types of failed discs sometimes will continue spinning forever in my dvd player if I do not manually stop/eject the disc or powerdown at the end after watching it (probably due to the lack of the "footer" info that Dialhot mentioned), and this obviously would add unwanted "wear and tear" to the player's drive. So if I fell asleep while watching one of these kinds of discs, it would spin in my standalone for hours! Not good.

If these things sound like they might be a problem for you, then you might want to consider re-burning your disc. If not, then just enjoy the movie and consider yourself lucky because you didn't make another drink coaster !

-d&c
Thanks, It seems to work fine till the end, but i set a 2 second overlap on a 2 disk burn. It seems that the overlap isn't there on the disk that failed, but it's good enough.