Quantcast Authoring: Still Capture for VCD Menus - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
11-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Free Member

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good piece of (free!) software for grabbing stills from AVI files?

I'm converting AVIs to KVCDs and I'd like to grab some stills for menus/titles on the VCD. Currently I'm doing a screen grab and cropping by hand which is no fun. Also the only tool I have that lets me advance frame-by-frame (so I can select just the right still) is Windows Media Player Classic, but screen grabbing doesn't work there - I just get a blank area.

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks!

N
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

11-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to el_mero_zooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdy
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good piece of (free!) software for grabbing stills from AVI files?

I'm converting AVIs to KVCDs and I'd like to grab some stills for menus/titles on the VCD. Currently I'm doing a screen grab and cropping by hand which is no fun. Also the only tool I have that lets me advance frame-by-frame (so I can select just the right still) is Windows Media Player Classic, but screen grabbing doesn't work there - I just get a blank area.

All advice gratefully received!

Thanks!

N
have ya looked at IrfanView?
it used to be freeware, the latest version may have support for stills...
either natively or thru plugins
http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html
11-18-2003, 02:27 PM
Free Member

I'm actually using Ifran view to view the AVI and grab the stills. The controls (for selecting frames) are not very accurate unfortunately...

However it did make me look through the plugins and it seems there is a plugin for MPEG frame capture - so I could try using that?

All the same, I can't get my old VCDEasy to convert the stills to mpeg stills so right now it'll make no difference!

Thanks for the help,

n
11-18-2003, 03:27 PM
Free Member

You can do that easyly in Vdub or even in vcdeasy !
04-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Free Member

Really late reply, but Nero also shows you the VCD menu and lets you pick a still for each chapter if you go to that clip's properties.