Quantcast Hit the Next Chapter Button, the Screen Just Freezes? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-10-2003, 12:22 AM
Free Member

Greetings, well the good news is I have successfully burned my first KVCD. Now I want to do chapters.

What I am having a problem with now is Chaptering using VCDEasy 1.1.5.2. I can skip through Chapters fine until I get somewhere around 70 min into the film. Then when i hit the next chapter button the screen just freezes. I can play the movie fine all the way through, and Fast Forward all the way through the movie. No problem there.

I've tried both 352x480 and 528x480 templates, both KVCD and (S)KVCD. The result is always the same. I do have to mux and burn them all as (s)kvcd since my player doesn't like kvcds.

I have tried turning on "Output Bit Stream" in TMPGenc, enabling the "Add svcd scan offsets" in BBMPEG

My source is the Movie Frequency, it's 16:9 NTSC Film 99% set to force film in DVD2AVI 1.76. FPS is 29.970

Using Kwag's optimal script, AviSynth 2.53, bbmpeg 1.24 b7 and headac3he-0.23a with audio resampled down to 44KhZ.

I have tried burning at 1x,2x,4x,8x no change.

My chapters will not work at all when I turn on PBC in VCDEasy, so I leave this off.

Tried extracting the chapters using ChapterXtractor and pasting them in, and also setting up "Equidistant Chapters"........

I'm stumped. Any ideas guys? Thanks again!!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-10-2003, 12:30 AM
Free Member

Hi VORTECH,

Your player might be getting confused, because VCDs are not meant to go beyond 74 or 80 minutes ( depending on media).
Does your player support SVCD
If it does, that might be your ticket, because SVCDs support VBR, and your player should then go past the fixed CBR point of a VCD.
If your player does support SVCD, and you want to maintain the KVCD quality you get with MPEG-1, just mux your MPEG-1 as SVCD.
That should trick your player to think its playing an MPEG-2 SVCD, when in fact it's playing an MPEG-1 muxed as SVCD.

-kwag
12-10-2003, 12:51 AM
Free Member

Sorry Kwag I just looked at my post and I see that I was all over the board. Let me clarify.

My player is a Samsung M301 which plays both Standard VCDs and SVCDs no problem.

However if I encode as MPEG1, and then mux and burn as MPEG1, I get a green garbled screen and audio that cuts in and out.

So to remedy this, I have been doing what you suggested above, Encoding them as MPEG1 KVCD(MPEG1) or SKVCD(MPEG2) and muxing and burning them and SVCD.

Another thing I just noticed it that although my chapters are working up to around the 70min mark, they are never in the same spot when I go back and forth between chapters, sometimes varying by more then a 3 or 4 minutes.
12-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VORTECH
Another thing I just noticed it that although my chapters are working up to around the 70min mark, they are never in the same spot when I go back and forth between chapters, sometimes varying by more then a 3 or 4 minutes.
Have you tried chaptering, with a regular SVCD
It could be a problem with the unit

-kwag
12-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Free Member

That's a great point, let me whip up a standard svcd with chaptering and see how that works, so I can take the KVCD out of the equation. Thanks again.