Quantcast KVCD: No Sound When Playing on DVD Player? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Free Member

I am new here, so sorry if i am asking somehting that has been asked before, but i havent found any mention of this issue.

I have a Pioneer DV-355 player. Have tried many times following the procedure for making KVCD. I tried converting AVIs and MPeg of various sizes and r esolutions. Checked inside the PC - the video and sound are both fine, even a preview inside Nero is fine.

When playing on the DVD player - there is no sound at all. I dont know if its lagging by 10 mins because i have not burned any file that big! they were upto about 5 min videos for testing.

The sound was sampled i believe at 44Khz and i even did the multiplexing with TMPGenc.
It seems isnt just with KVCD but all types of SVCDs !!!
What am i missing here? Is it possible that its to do with the VDV buffer value =0 or something ???

Ideas ???
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-11-2003, 04:42 AM
Free Member

Did you connect your standalone to your amp with the optical output only ? If yes, you must use also the analogic ones. Optical carries only ac3 and DTS streams not MP2 nor MP3.
12-11-2003, 04:33 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Did you connect your standalone to your amp with the optical output only ? If yes, you must use also the analogic ones. Optical carries only ac3 and DTS streams not MP2 nor MP3.
I only have my player connected to my Receiver with a Coaxial Cable, and everything is carried through that, be it AC3, DTS or MP2 Streams... I believe Optical Cables will act that way too...
12-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellygoose
I only have my player connected to my Receiver with a Coaxial Cable, and everything is carried through that, be it AC3, DTS or MP2 Streams...
It is surprising because it means that your receiver has a mp2 decoder in it.

Quote:
I believe Optical Cables will act that way too...
Optical and coaxial do the same things. The diff is between digital and analogic cables (optical and coax are both digital).

EDIT: after a quick test, with "MPEG2" set to be output as "PCM" the kvcd sound is present on coax also on my receiver. I never noticed the "coax" indication on the display
12-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Free Member

The problem has nothing to do with connections. Thats because all the DVD's, audio CDs all have perfect sound when i play them in the same player, Pioneer DV-355. Yes, its connected to a amp/receiver via a coaxial cable, but thats irrelevant.

The problem is definitely to do with burning of the KVCDs or any SVCDs!
12-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedommmm
Yes, its connected to a amp/receiver via a coaxial cable, but thats irrelevant.
In fact I just tried on my own pioneer and the sound for the KVCD is present on both coax and analogic outlets. So you should have sound also. Did you set the mpeg2 settings of the standalone on "PCM" ?

Does the mpeg have sound when you play it on your PC before your burn it, or not ?