Quantcast KVCD: Small Display on TV - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
12-14-2003, 01:18 AM
Free Member

Hello! Just started trying out the dvd to kvcd conversion and I seem to be having a problem with the display on my tv. Here's my script:

#================================================= =====#
# -= AviSynth script by MovieStacker v2.0.0 (beta3) =- #
#================================================= =====#

LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MovieStacker\Filters\MPEG2Dec.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MovieStacker\Filters\GripFit_preview.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MovieStacker\Filters\UnFilter.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\MovieStacker\Filters\LegalClip.dll")

Mpeg2Source("D:\Video Workspace\POTC.d2v")
LegalClip()
GripCrop(528, 480, overscan=2)
GripSize(resizer="BilinearResize")
UnFilter(50, 50)
TemporalSmoother(1, 2)
MergeChroma(blur(1.5)
MergeLuma(blur(0.2))
GripBorders()
LegalClip()
AssumeFPS(23.976)

Everything is ok, very satisfied with picture and sound... however, I usually have to press the zoom on my dvd player to get the widescreen resolution to display on my tv properly (I'm not talking about a full screen display). I mean If I press the zoom, the sides fill up properly with the proper black borders on top and bottom. Without zoom, I get a widescreen in the middle of the screen with thick black borders all around (almost like it's half the size of what it should be).
I loaded the KVCDx3 template on Moviestacker and used TOK for the prediction and encode following black prince's excellent guide....
What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kepsy
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

12-14-2003, 01:35 AM
Free Member

Hi kepsy,

Try changing the line:
GripCrop(528, 480, overscan=2)
To:
GripCrop(528, 480, overscan=1) ( or simply GripCrop(528, 480) for no overscan )
And give it a shot

-kwag
12-14-2003, 01:39 AM
Free Member

kwag,
Amazing response time! Thank you! I shall try and let you know.
kepsy
12-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Free Member

kwag,
The no overscan worked, but I had to lower my resolution to bring the CQ up to a decent level. If overscan creates undesirable borders on the side, when do we actually use them then? Sorry, this might have been asked before but I'm completely new to this and I did try to search the forums before I asked the question.... but it's kinda hard to do a search when you don't exactly know what you're doing wrong Thanks again for your help!
Excellent site!! Very happy with my one cd encodes... you got another convert...
kepsy
12-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Free Member

On a "normal", well functioning TV set these border aren't display. In fact, all tv sets eat a part of the image on the 4 edges. That is the "TV overscan".

So why encode image there if it won't be displayed ? As black borders use less space in the mpeg, you understand why we use the overscan parameter.

In other words : your TV set is not "normal"
12-14-2003, 01:47 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepsy
kwag,
The no overscan worked, but I had to lower my resolution to bring the CQ up to a decent level.
Try at least with one block overscan. It should work, and you'll get a higher CQ that without overscan blocks
Obviously, with 2 blocks, your TV doesn't stretch the image completely. Probably at 704x or 720x you could use two overscan blocks.

-kwag
12-15-2003, 12:40 AM
Free Member

Dialhot,
I get it... my tv is demented Does the standalone player affect the overscan display at all? or just the tv? Thanks for clearing up the purpose of overscan.

Kwag,
I did try with overscan (1) and my tv displayed the borders again (thick ones on the side), that's why I went with no overscan. No matter, I am still happy with the turnout at 352 x 480 for a 1 cd rip.

Thank you all for your patience.

peace,
kepsy
12-15-2003, 06:40 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepsy
Without zoom, I get a widescreen in the middle of the screen with thick black borders all around (almost like it's half the size of what it should be).
I had this problem when I used 'Center' as the video arrange method in TMPGEnc. Cured it by using 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)'

Hope that helps.
12-15-2003, 06:54 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermickster
I had this problem when I used 'Center' as the video arrange method in TMPGEnc. Cured it by using 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)'
Hi Mistermickster,

normally if all is determined right in your .avs, "center" will output a correct view!
IF not .. you have done something wrong!

Because "center" just places the image as it is on the encoding area which is determined in the advanced settings.

All other TmpgEnc internal functions do correct (in other words "resize") the image so it fits! That means the image will be manipulated afterwards! Therefore this will result in rised encoding time and other unwanted problems.

So do resize in the Avisynth script that at the end the stream incl. borders etc. does match your final encoding size in TmpgEnc!!
Do a test and open your .avs in Vdub and watch under "file information" the received size of the inputted .avs!

Does it match?? For example 352x480??
If yes ... and if then you import that .avs in TmpgEnc by setting the same 352x480 in the encoding options your stream will come out right when using "center"! Thats the logic. Because all other settings will as I said manipulate the incoming size and therefore Borders trouble and so on.
And I trust everything but NOT TmpgEncs internal AR resizings.

12-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Free Member

Incredible,

Thanks that cleared up some questions for me as well