Quantcast Convert the Audio from .WAV to .MP2 Using Headac3he? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Free Member

I'm doing a kvcd and am trying to convert the audio from .wav to .mp2 using HeadAC3he. Problem is that it runs the conversion process and finnishes ok but if i try to play the mp2 file windows media player says it encountered an unknown error and won't play it. The wav file that was the source for the mp2 works ok and when i use tmpgenc to multiplex the audio and video that runs thru ok too but when it's finnished the mpg it makes has no audio? however the file size had grown from the size of the mv1 file as expected after being multiplexed with audio but the audio is not on the resulting mpg.

I have made kvcds before using exactly the same method but now my mp2's arn't working?

please help i need working mp2 files

thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-13-2004, 05:39 PM
Free Member

right i noticed a few things, first of all the movie i'm tring to do is 3 hours long and i need a small mp2 file size to fit it all to 1 cd, i was tring to do it on 48kbs and the end file wouldn't work also headAC3ch said the end mp2 size would be about 60MB but when it was done the file was around 850MB. i upped the kbs to 128 and the end file was too big for the cd but it did play. i reduced the kbps down to 98 and it wouldn't work again. but it does work on 112kbs.

Does headAC3ch not work right with bit rates lower than 112??
01-13-2004, 09:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mouse

Does headAC3ch not work right with bit rates lower than 112??
Yes. I've encoded audio at 64Kbps with HeadAC3he, for PocketPC MPEG movies. It works great.

-kwag
01-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Mouse
right i noticed a few things, first of all the movie i'm tring to do is 3 hours long and i need a small mp2 file size to fit it all to 1 cd, i was tring to do it on 48kbs...
48kbps audio is going to sound horrible, and I doubt that a bitrate that low would even play properly on most standalone players (if that is your intention). If you only plan on viewing it on a small pocket device like Kwag mentioned, then maybe 48kbps would be sufficient.

Quote:
...and the end file wouldn't work...
Where exactly wouldn't it work?? In your standalone? In MediaPlayer? In both? Have you tried playing it with WinDVD, PowerDVD, Zoomplayer, etc?

Quote:
...also headAC3ch said the end mp2 size would be about 60MB but when it was done the file was around 850MB.
Which file was around 850MB? Just your .mp2 file? Or do you mean your final multiplexed mpg? If headAC3he predicted that your .mp2 size would be 60MB before encoding and then gave you a huge 850MB file instead, there's definetly something screwy going on there with your source! I'm guessing you must have been referring to your final .mpg rather than your .mp2, although that's not what your chosen words would suggest to us.

Quote:
...i upped the kbs to 128 and the end file was too big for the cd but it did play. i reduced the kbps down to 98 and it wouldn't work again. but it does work on 112kbs.
Well, what this would say to me is that you should probably use 112kbps audio (anything lower starts sounding rather bad anyways). You'll either have to split the movie that you've already encoded onto 2 discs (leaving lots of wasted empty space on each disc), or else re-encode it. If you do decide to re-encode, you might want to consider targeting your movie for 2 discs instead of 1 so that you can use a higher resolution and bitrate....you'll achieve much better looking results that way. It's usually (but not always) pretty difficult to fit a 3 hour movie onto 1 disc at a quality level that is very satisfying to the eye, even with all the tricks and magic of KVCD . Yes, it definetly is possible to fit a very long movie onto 1 disc...but the results simply won't be as eye-pleasing as if you targetted the movie for a 2-disc encode at a higher resolution. Unless of course you are just experimenting for fun to see how much video you can fit onto a single disc. And I guess experimentation really is the true spirit of KVCD! So have fun.

Good luck,
-d&c
01-14-2004, 04:11 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused
48kbps audio is going to sound horrible, and I doubt that a bitrate that low would even play properly on most standalone players
SVCD specs are 32-320 for audio bitrate. But under 64 it's generally mono, not stereo.
01-21-2004, 11:37 AM
Free Member

sorry i figured out my problem and never checked the board, Ooops. anyway yes i did mean the .mp2 file was a huge 850mb or somthing it was very odd, it seemed to fix itself after removing and reinstalling headache but i never figured the actual cause of this strange problem. anyways it's all fixed now except now tmpgenc does sorta the sime thing with my .m1v files. it starts to encode the movie and the time remaining counter is always unusually high, like for a 1 hour 30 min movie it would say it will take maybe 8 hours to encode even know the source position counter runs faster that the time elapsed counter maybe 1sec elapsed = 2sec source position (dunno if ur still following me) so for a 1hour 30 mins movie should take maybe 45-50 mins. however it encodes it and when it gets the full movie done it's only on about 20% and carrys on encoding a blank screen, it does it on all my movies i have encoded since i fixed the headache problem so now i just have to check the movie length of the source and then stop the encoding when it reaches the end of the movie and my .m1v file will be fine, it also muxes o.k even if i have left the encode run longer than the end of the movie and the .m1v file is 5 mins or so longer than the .mp2 with no audio sync problems, strange eh?

would be nice to fix it thou so if u have any ideas please feel free to share them
01-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Free Member

sorry i figured out my problem and never checked the board, Ooops. anyway yes i did mean the .mp2 file was a huge 850mb or somthing it was very odd, it seemed to fix itself after removing and reinstalling headache but i never figured the actual cause of this strange problem. anyways it's all fixed now except now tmpgenc does sorta the sime thing with my .m1v files. it starts to encode the movie and the time remaining counter is always unusually high, like for a 1 hour 30 min movie it would say it will take maybe 8 hours to encode even know the source position counter runs faster that the time elapsed counter maybe 1sec elapsed = 2sec source position (dunno if ur still following me) so for a 1hour 30 mins movie should take maybe 45-50 mins. however it encodes it and when it gets the full movie done it's only on about 20% and carrys on encoding a blank screen, it does it on all my movies i have encoded since i fixed the headache problem so now i just have to check the movie length of the source and then stop the encoding when it reaches the end of the movie and my .m1v file will be fine, it also muxes o.k even if i have left the encode run longer than the end of the movie and the .m1v file is 5 mins or so longer than the .mp2 with no audio sync problems, strange eh?

would be nice to fix it thou so if u have any ideas please feel free to share them
01-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Free Member

Oh yeah and, i left it encode to 100% once to see what would happen and the file size was about 4 and a half gig and about 14 hours long.

It's a bit of a problem
01-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Free Member

Why is that a problem ? Because you do not have 14 hours to watch it ?

Sorry pal, do not have the slightest idea of what happens to you. Just one thing : is the number of total frames that tmpgenc indicates correct ?
01-21-2004, 11:57 AM
Free Member

not sure will check next time i encode a movie. thx for the reply