Quantcast Besweet: Cannot Convert WAV - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-16-2004, 02:17 AM
Free Member

Send a message via AIM to kenguard
I have been using BeSweet/BeSweetGUI for a while now without problems, until now. I have an AVI that I used VirtualDub to create a .WAV file, and an AVI file without audio which I have encoded for KVCD. When I try to use BeSweet or AC3Machine to convert it to MP2 or AC3 it opens a command line then quickly exits. I've copied the command into the clipboard and went to a DOS window and pasted it. It told me there was a problem with the file name, path or volume name. (bogus) I copied another WAV that I have successfully converted to the same folder and renamed it to the file name I'm trying to convert (to check if pathing or naming conventions is really the problem) and it converted fine. This told me BeSweet, BeSweetGUI and the paths were fine.

This means that the problem is in the WAV file itself, although Windows Media Player plays it and it is the correct length of the movie it goes to.

If I view the AVI file information in VirtualDub, I find that it uses DivX WMA Audio Codec. It does not display datarate and the layout and the min/avg/maxtotal frame size fields show (indeterminate). . The sample rate is 44.1Khz. The video uses the DivX 5.1.1. codec.

Anyone have a suggestion for a solution?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-16-2004, 04:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenguard
Anyone have a suggestion for a solution?
Yes, try HeadAC3he
01-16-2004, 04:44 AM
Free Member

What is the length of the wav file and the length of the movie ?
01-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Free Member

The length of the movie is 1:25:50.24 as reported by VirtualDub and the WAV file I extracted reports as 1:25:50 in Media Player.

The WAV file is on 40M though. Half as small as some of my other 2hr movies while the video is only 35 minutes (25%) smaller.

I've just loaded the WAV file into Windows Sound Recorder and looked at the properties. It is DivX WMA Audio V2 at 64kbps 44 kHz, stereo (for audio/video). That explains the small size.
01-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Free Member

Thanks for you reply mistermickster.

I might give that a try if I can resolve the issue with BeSweet. I don't want another HeadAche! (pun definitely intented)
01-16-2004, 10:53 AM
Free Member

Quote:
The WAV file is on 40M though. Half as small as some of my other 2hr movies while the video is only 35 minutes (25%) smaller.
Let me tell you that a normal wav for a 1h30 movie is 900 MB long !

So what you have isn't a wav but a simple demux of original audio stream. And if you can't convert it that is because it is encoded in a codec that Besweet do not know.

But the normal procedure is to extract the audio from the avi in an UNCOMRESSED wav ! For that you must put the process mode on "Full processing" in the audio menu au virtualdub before to do "save wav". Else vdub do not save a wav at all (that is very confusing, I know).

Quote:
I've just loaded the WAV file into Windows Sound Recorder and looked at the properties. It is DivX WMA Audio V2 at 64kbps 44 kHz, stereo (for audio/video). That explains the small size.
There is only one format for a wav : it is PCM (also know as "uncomrpessed"). And this prooves that you do not have a wav, but a WMA ! And besweet CAN'T do wma.

Note : besweet can read the audio directly into the avi without need of virtualdub. See on the home site of besweet to find the dll needed for that operation.
01-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Free Member

Thank you DialHot for your help. I will look at your suggestion on using BeSweet to extract the audio. It helps to know alternate ways of doing things.

Also of note, chalk it up to the "Wow, I didn't know it could do that!" column, when you view the properites of the WAV file in Sound Recorder you can convert the WAV file to different formats. I choose PCM and it created a 887M WAV file.

The WAV file created by changing the Audio setting in VirtualDub to Full Processing mode created a WAV file 29K bigger than the 887M converted file from Sound Recorder.
01-16-2004, 02:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
The WAV file created by changing the Audio setting in VirtualDub to Full Processing mode created a WAV file 29K bigger than the 887M converted file from Sound Recorder.
If I were you, as I do not know Sound Recorder, I would trust virtualdub. Everyone use Vdub for that job and never had problems.
01-16-2004, 02:58 PM
Free Member

I used VirtualDub in Full Stream processing mode and created the uncomplressed WAV file, then converted it with BeSweet without any problems.

Sound Recorder comes with Windows and I never use it for anything. Way back in Windows 3.X, I used it to create WAV files. I used the XP version during our discussion to see if it could provide any further info on the WAV file (which it did) and that's when I found that it had a conversion button. It's from Microsoft, so that could be good or bad but it just goes to show you sometimes have more tools than you think you do.

Thanks Phil! You must have your hands full with the many newbies like myself.

Ken
01-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Sound Recorder comes with Windows
I wanted to say that I didn't know how it works and how its results are