Quantcast How to Put VCD Content on DVD Media? - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Free Member

Hi guys, newby question.
It`s something confusing, i´d like to burn some mpg1 content on dvd disc (trying to fit 3, 4 full movies on dvd-r).
Can it play on kvcd capable dvd player?
I`m thinking on a simple menu "Movie1, movie2, etc" (Nero alike).
To make that clearer, i already have that movies on kvcd (cd-r). but i,d be happy to have 2 or 3 of that on one single dvd.

thanks in advance.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
Hi guys, newby question.
It`s something confusing, i´d like to burn some mpg1 content on dvd disc (trying to fit 3, 4 full movies on dvd-r).
Can it play on kvcd capable dvd player?
As long as the audio is in 48Khz and the resolution is in 352*240(28, that's okay.

If the audio is at 44.1, you have to resample it (easy) but if the res is wrong... you won't be abble to put them on DVD.
01-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Free Member

I,m sorry but i dont understand why it wouldn´t play audio at 44100.
That lead me to other cuestion, does the player look for media type or content when you insert the disc?
I mean if you play a dvd-r with the vcd structure, the player still complaint about audio being 44?
sorry if i can`t explain better, english is not my first language.
thanks.
01-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
I mean if you play a dvd-r with the vcd structure, the player still complaint about audio being 44?
That won't work at all.
No DVD player recognizes a VCD structure on a DVD media.

-kwag
01-21-2004, 07:12 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
I,m sorry but i dont understand why it wouldn´t play audio at 44100.
That's a good question. But as there is not authoring tool that let you put a 44.1 audio on a DVD media, it's hard to make a test on that

Just know that 48Khz is mandated by the DVD standard. That is why all tools inforce you to use it.

Quote:
That lead me to other cuestion, does the player look for media type or content when you insert the disc?
Media type first, then content. All DVD standalone nowaday carry two laser lens, one for DVD wave length, the other for CD (in particular, CD-R).

That is also why, as kwag said, a VCD burnt onto a DVD won't be read at all.
01-22-2004, 12:23 AM
Free Member

ok, correct me if i'm wrong guys, in order to have my already encoded kvcd's movies on dvd-r, i have to

1 take mpg out of dat files (vcdeasy?)
2 demux audio-video (bbmpg,Tmpgenc?)
3 resample audio 44.1 to 48 (besweet, Sweethead)
4 mux audio video (bbmpg, This one I'm pretty sure)
5 author dvd (??????????????????????????)
6 burn (??????????????????????????)

If i'm right we are authoring a dvd as you say 352*240 res 44.1 sample are dvd compatible

the big question is, will this dvd containing non standard mpg1 (read kvcd) play in any stanalone dvd, even those non kvcd compatible?
01-22-2004, 04:17 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
1 take mpg out of dat files (vcdeasy?)
Yes.

Quote:
2 demux audio-video (bbmpg,Tmpgenc?)
Tmgenc, yes.

Quote:
3 resample audio 44.1 to 48 (besweet, Sweethead)
Besweet, yes.

Quote:
Or tmpgenc

Quote:
5 author dvd (??????????????????????????)
As you need a small simple menu in front of your movie, and probably want to add chapters, TMPGENC Author (not TMPGENC, the mpeg2 encoder, it's another soft from the same company).
Or you can use Nero Vision if you have all Nero 6 packages.

Quote:
6 burn (??????????????????????????)
ImageTool or Nero.

Quote:
If i'm right we are authoring a dvd as you say 352*240 res 44.1 sample are dvd compatible
Yes it is.

Quote:
the big question is, will this dvd containing non standard mpg1 (read kvcd) play in any stanalone dvd, even those non kvcd compatible?
If you want to talk about STANDARD, No. Because the STANDARD claim that the GOP must be 15 picture maximum ! And for KVCD we use 24 (or 25 in PAL).
But... I test on 3 standalone from 3 different brand, and ALL accept the DVD.

Now, as it is not standard, some can refuse the disc.
01-22-2004, 11:55 PM
Free Member

great, great, great answer clear and to the point, you've save me tons of errors, many hours of work and frustration.

Thanks, and keep this forum as now, alive. You are doing a good job.
01-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Free Member

You're welcome.
01-23-2004, 06:27 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
Quote:
Uops!

Well, you SHOULD import in the DVD Authoring Appl. separate Video and Audio streams as the authoring appl. will do the muxing into VOBs for you.
So there's no need to muxe the streams before and by the way it makes no sense.

ONLY if you're trying to do that multiple audio "trick" when using DVDlab as it by itself doesn't support multiple audio.

Inc.
01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
ONLY if you're trying to do that multiple audio "trick" when using DVDlab as it by itself doesn't support multiple audio.
In fact all depend on the tool you want to use.

TMPGENC Author that is very nice to make simple authoring accepts mpg as entry and it's even esaier to do that way else you have to open the video stream, and in the "confim parameters" window that pops up, you have to click on "audio source" (that is empty) and select the audio stream.

Very boring when you put 23 videos on a DVD as I did for some TV show.

I do not even imagine doing that in DVD-lab or Maestro.
01-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
If you just name the files the same like

bladerunner.m2v
bladerunner.ac3

The audiofile will be found automatically, so no second popup will appear.
And seen it logically in case of ready muxed .mpg's into DVD Author, DVD author has do demultiplex and afterwards multiplex cause of menues (VOB 00) etc. (ok VOB 00 is just the extra on that track and so the movie starts at VOB 01) BUT I just assume that as I never did import ready muxed mpg's into DVD Author.

One of the advantages of TmpgEncs DVD Author is that it generates multiple VTS (as we also know from commercial DVDs which means separate tracks) ... And DVDlab just puts it all in ONE VTS (one track multiple 1GB VOBs) happy descrambling afterwards if sometime in the future its needed
01-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
If you just name the files the same like

bladerunner.m2v
bladerunner.ac3

The audiofile will be found automatically
Lol. I didn't even try that

That is DVD2AVI fault : when it demux audio the audio stream do not have the same name than the d2v and as I do batching with perl scripts of my own that generate m1v with save name than the d2v and mp2 with the same name than the ac3, for sure at the end tmpgenc author can't do the links
02-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Free Member

As posted before, I'm trying to put some old kvcd on to dvd, now the problem is that the framerate is 23.976 wich is not dvd compatible and i haven't been able to change to 29.970 nedded, i always end with audio-video synch problems.
is there a program or method to change the framerate without demux?
If any of you has achived this framerate change, i'd appreciate if you share your knowledge.
Thanks in advance
02-02-2004, 05:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo
is there a program or method to change the framerate without demux?
No.

Quote:
If any of you has achived this framerate change, i'd appreciate if you share your knowledge.
Thanks in advance
There is no way to do that if you encoded in MPEG1. Did you do MPEG2 ?
02-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Free Member

I've done mpg1, cos as far as i know is best for kvcd, using d2s the easyest way for me, with the NTSC field operation on automatic (dvd2avi), this way i always get a mpg1 23.976 framerate. I've never plan on using that for dvd .
I dont want to encode the whole thing again. I think i'm keeping my kvcd as they are, and doing my next encoded aimed to dvd media.
thanks
02-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Hi Leo,

There's something you can try. Use pulldown.exe in your MPEG1 23.976 kvcd files. Yes, I know pulldown flag is only for MPEG2, but I did that a while ago just to try, managed to get my file imported in DVD-Maestro (a very restrictive authoring package, IMHO) and burned a DVD that worked in my Phlico DVD Player. The only difference is that the GOP was standard (1, but as Dialhot pointed, this shouldn't cause problems.

Actually by that time I was trying to encode the whole first simpsons season at MPEG 1 352x240 to fit in 1 DVD with 2 audios at 128 kbps and a subtitle stream. I ended up doing MPEG2 just be standard (MPEG1 looked so much better with almost no mosquito in this cartoon... A matherial that is very prone to this artifact). But the procedure I described worked.
02-10-2004, 07:14 PM
Free Member

I already try, and retry at no avail, it just mess the output file; some players report loger runing time, and authoring soft just sees 1 or 2 sec. when i finally get it into authoring soft and make chapters the video dont match audio, all chapters start right but runing a few seconds the video goes faster.
Is maybe pulldown version different from yours? do you run plain pulldown or are you modifying some flags, timestamp, etc?
thanks
02-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Free Member

i´ve been trying restream and dvd patcher with same results, next step: another authoring soft, i was using tmpgenc dvd, I´ll post results later.
other suggestions¿
thanks
02-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

I used the plain pulldown, no special switches. My DVD player must be a bit more flexible than yours...