Quantcast DVD-Rom Installation and Comparison Help - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
01-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Free Member

Hi,I need opinions on 2 dvd roms.

1.Lite On dvd rom-49 bucks Canadian
2.Retail Plus -69 bucks

Also i have 2 drives currently on the computer and am wondering if i install this dvd rom myself is it as easy as taking out the cd rom drive and hooking up the dvd rom drive with the same cables

Thanx
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

01-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Free Member

DOn't bother with the installation : all CD-ROM /CD-burner /DVD-Rom / DVD-burner are managed identically by the system. They are all called "ATAPI" device and are used grant to the same driver.

Switch off, unplug old drive, plug new one, switch on and see winXP configuring the new drive

Note: the drive letter can change as winXP remove the old drive and install the new one to the first letter avalaible.

Note2: everything is the same with win98se, win2000 and winME.
01-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggt
Hi,I need opinions on 2 dvd roms.

1.Lite On dvd rom-49 bucks Canadian
2.Retail Plus -69 bucks
I'd go for the Liteon. Not only will you save yourself $20, but you'll also have a good versatile drive (probably much better than the "Retail Plus", which sounds like a true no-name brand). Liteons are well-known for being able to rip faster than many other drives, in addition to supporting most burnable media formats (aside from dvd-ram). I'd suggest going over to the forums at www.cdrlabs.com and reading up a bit in their "DVD-ROM" Forum. Liteon drives are fairly popular weapons of choice. (this isn't an exact quote, but someone here once said something to me like, "Liteon products are like the George Foreman Grills of the computer world...they're all over the place" .

I've had a Liteon 165H drive for ~1.5 years and it's still chugging along just fine. The only complaints I can think of (which are actually pretty minor) are:

1) it is louder than some other dvd-roms during spinup/extraction (but if you really want to prolong the life of the drive, then you should probably mainly be using it just for ripping anyways and not for continuously watching 2-hour long dvds with it...it's better to rip your movie and watch the vob files from your hard-drive rather than having the drive spinning for 2 straight hours).

2) the build-quality of the drive is a little bit on the flimsy side (but then again, most drives these days are built in a similar way, and unless you can personally test every drive or open them up, you won't know which ones are more "solid"). I can see that it uses plastic gears inside, which I'm sure would tend to wear down quicker than other materials if a person were constantly over-using it, putting it through a torture test. As long as you're not opening the drive's tray and using it as a cup-holder, it should last awhile.

All things considered though, there's not a lot to complain about.

-d&c
01-23-2004, 06:20 PM
Free Member

Thanx alot guys ,i'll be getting it in the morning(closed friday nights )
01-24-2004, 12:58 PM
Free Member

Got the dvd rom insatlled(can't wait to see the difference between dvd and avi conversions)

Don't know if you guys could help me out a bit with a few questions

1.The dvd rom came with powerdvd 4.0 and i have an audio problem,when i put an audio cd in it plays fine but when i put a dvd in it plays really quiet,i have to put the volume to full on the computer to hear it.

2.I have been doing kvcd's for a while now without too much problem,but now i have an extra couple of steps i need to do,which guide is the best to follow for dvd decrypter and dvd2avi to follow

3.Which version of dvd2avi is recommended(i remember a while ago all the problems between 1.76 and 1.77)

Thanx guys
01-25-2004, 06:24 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigggt
Got the dvd rom insatlled(can't wait to see the difference between dvd and avi conversions)

Don't know if you guys could help me out a bit with a few questions

1.The dvd rom came with powerdvd 4.0 and i have an audio problem,when i put an audio cd in it plays fine but when i put a dvd in it plays really quiet,i have to put the volume to full on the computer to hear it.
I think you've probably already figured out your other 2 questions in other threads (actually, you've probably figured this one out already too).

When you say:
Quote:
i have to put the volume to full on the computer
...what do you mean exactly? Do your speakers have a volume knob that you're maxing out? Or are you referring to the volume slider in PowerDVD? Or the Volume Control settings that you can change by clicking on the speaker icon in your system tray? It could be any of those things...

Good luck,
-d&c
01-25-2004, 07:25 AM
Free Member

I guess you should look in the audio configuration of PowerDVD and tell it you have only 2 speakers ans don't want more. The volume problem you have can be due to the "virtual surround" processing.
01-25-2004, 09:34 AM
Free Member

Thanx d&c and Phil,i got it figured out ,i just have too many things i am trying to figure out right now and ddidn't spend too much time on the volume problem