Quantcast Quality of Subtitles with Vsfilter - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
02-04-2004, 05:54 PM
Free Member

......For some reason I can't get the quality right with Textsub / Vsfilter. They look "blocky" or like if "bites" were taken out of the round letters like e, a, o.

Don't know why this happens....I use it like before.....

This is my srt.style file :

Code:
ScriptType: v4.00+ 
PlayResX: 480 
PlayResY: 480  

[V4+ Styles] 
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding 
Style: Default,Arial,24,&H00ffffff,&H00808080,&H00000000,&H80000000,0,0,0,0,75,100,0,0.00,1,1,2,2,20,20,80,1
It happens with SVCD as well as CVD res......
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

02-04-2004, 06:34 PM
Free Member

Do not change the resolution in the style file, that is done automatically (I can't even tell how, but it's done).

Use exactly the following, and just adapt the ScaleX and ScaleY parameter :

Code:
ScriptType: v4.00+
PlayResX: 384
PlayResY: 288

[V4+ Styles]
Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, OutlineColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, Underline, StrikeOut, ScaleX, ScaleY, Spacing, Angle, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, Encoding
Style: Default,Arial,10,&H00ffffff,&H0000ffff,&H00000000,&H80000000,-1,0,0,0,100,100,0,0.00,1,2,3,2,20,20,20,1
02-05-2004, 01:48 AM
Free Member

....Yeah, I changed the resolution manually only the last time. In search of a solution......

I see you have fontsize 10. That would result in subs that are not visible. At least in my case......

ScaleX and Y compress the letters (horizontally/vertically) I think, or don't they ? I believe there is a way to calculate what they should be (in combination with the resolution used, CVD or SVCD) but can't remember exactly.

I also installed the latest version of Vfilter (mine was older), but that didn't work either......

Anyway, I will try with "100 - 100" for ScaleX and Y. Don't know why I chaged it to 75 - 100 (it always worked before, that's the strange thing.).
02-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulus
I see you have fontsize 10. That would result in subs that are not visible. At least in my case......
Not at all. As the resolution, the size is scaled correctly. Again I can't even tell how

Quote:
ScaleX and Y compress the letters (horizontally/vertically) I think, or don't they ?
In fact when I use a style file it's because I have size problem. And I change only ScaleX and ScaleY to fix it.

Quote:
I believe there is a way to calculate what they should be (in combination with the resolution used, CVD or SVCD) but can't remember exactly.
I read this without saying a word but again, it's useless to adapt scaleX and scaleY to the A/R of the picture. All is done automatically !

The 384*288 at the top give an A/R of 4:3. If your picture is 480*480, there is an automatic A/R correction done on the subtitles :

Xnew= Xold *480/384 * ScaleX
Ynew= Yold *480/288 * ScaleY

That is why you do not have anything to change ! The value I gave to you, I use them for all resolution from 352*288 up to 544*576 !

Quote:
Anyway, I will try with "100 - 100" for ScaleX and Y. Don't know why I chaged it to 75 - 100 (it always worked before, that's the strange thing.).
Because you were doing CVD (352*480) and someone told you that 352 is 75% of 480 and so use 75 for scaleX. That is completly wrong.
02-05-2004, 06:14 AM
Free Member

Phil,

Do you use GripFit and where in your script exactly you put the textsub? Before or after the cripborders? Before, cripfit takes care of the rezise (but the subs are not in the black borders of the movie). After Cripborders, I have to scale the subs menually. There is no automatic AR change on my system....

Tanks,

Staigerpaip
02-05-2004, 06:31 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staigerpaip
Do you use GripFit and where in your script exactly you put the textsub? Before or after the cripborders? Before, cripfit takes care of the rezise
Gripfit does it resize in the gripsize line. This line is already processed when you reach the textsub line and so : GRIPFIT CAN'T TAKE CARE OF RESIZING OF THE SUBS.

The resizing is done "elsewhere", and this place is in the vsfilter plugin itself.

Quote:
(but the subs are not in the black borders of the movie). After Cripborders, I have to scale the subs menually. There is no automatic AR change on my system....
I have to rescale them also when I put them in the border (else they are to large) BUT I don't have to change the A/R. I always have ScaleX=ScaleY even if I do 352*576.

Try it, you will see that letters are perfect whatever the resolution.

Note: be carrefull, I am talking about doing non anamorphic 4:3 targets ! Is that what you are doing ?
Because vsfilter does not take in account anamorphic destinations.
02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Free Member

Phil,

Doing non anaphorphic 4:3 encodings...

Tried your settings but only voor 352x240/288 vsfilter automatically adjusts the AR. For all other resolutions the subs are distorted. I made sure I have the last version of vsfilter (december 2003) and avisynth 2.5.4. I tested it with the simplest avs script with gripfit:
Code:
AviSource("x.avi",False)
GripCrop(352, 576, overscan=1, source_anamorphic=false)
GripSize(resizer="LanczosResize")
GripBorders()
Textsub("e:\skvcd_sub\subtitle.srt")
With the style script you mentioned above named subtitle.srt.style

Played with bsplayer the subs have the correct AR when displayed in original AR. When I resize to 4:3 The subs are stretched. The overscan didn't make a difference.

Very strange. Maybe we should move this tread to the subforum (I stopt using dvd2svcd for a long time).
02-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staigerpaip
Very strange. Maybe we should move this tread to the subforum (I stopt using dvd2svcd for a long time).
Me too . I moved the thread. Paulus never remember there are other section in the forum

I will redo some test to be sure because I do 90% of my subtitled encoding in 352*288 so error is possible. But I did movies in 480*576 and I never ever had scaleX != scaleY.

I will tell you.
02-05-2004, 03:47 PM
Free Member

......As long as it is uncertain where the error lies I still feel this is the correct forum section ........

I still have to test but I don't think my problems are caused by any setting in the style file. I used these ScaleX and ScaleY settings before (can't remember if in combination with V4 script though .....) and with perfect result. Maybe it's a codec problem or something......(installed an Xvid codec recently..... ) .really strange.

What's also strange is that watching the movie on the PC the subs look OK and on the TV it looks "blocky" / low res ("whit bytes out of the letters").....

Maybe also try to set the DVD player back to "auto" instead of PAL...
02-05-2004, 05:38 PM
Free Member

.......It gets weirder and weirder.......

Now I've changed the TV model in my DVD player setup from PAL to MULTI and now the subs are perfect (source is NTSC SKVCD)......BUT
my previous problem is back, which is "bright pixel line on top of TV screen (red/green and blue)".

.....So I gues I have to chose either good subs but irritating bright line on top of TV screen/image or bad subs. (TV picture is practically same quality in both settings......)

Also tried "NTSC" setting but it's the same, bright line on top......

Will try my other Cyberhome Standalone as well, but I have to install it still...........

Sorry, topic closed.
02-06-2004, 07:42 AM
Free Member

Paulus,

I've had the same problem. When encoding at 480x576 resolution, the subs aren't displayed correctly.

Try this:

PointResize(704,576).TextSub(subtitle).LanczosResi ze(480,576)

and in your srt.style file, change the size to 14. This seems very small, but it will be resized to a size comparable to 22.

I know the PiontResize-line looks a bit weird, so don't ask me how it works....

It worked for me anyways!
02-06-2004, 09:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma
I know the PiontResize-line looks a bit weird, so don't ask me how it works....
It's a double resiwing of ALL THE IMAGE (and not only the subtitle) and this leads to Shit.
Sorry, there is no other words.