Quantcast Software SVCD Player Capable of Playing Subtitles! - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-02-2004, 07:35 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

According to doom9 news (http://www.doom9.org), VLC is now able to play SVCD selectable subs in the PC! I haven't tested this feature yet but always wanted this because sometimes I like to watch my movies in the PC screen (besides the DVD, of course). If anyone is interested, check here:http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

EDIT: Looks like CVD and SVCD style subs are supported:
http://developers.videolan.org/vlc/NEWS
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-11-2004, 06:44 AM
Free Member

Hi vmesquita,

I've tried it with a disc that works with Philco, but couldn't see any subs in VLC. In fact I couldn't even find anywhere on the user interface to select the subs!

Maybe... when they say [SVCD (Philips OGT) and CVD subtitles]
they mean you can open a .sub file in the Philips or SubMux format ???

Besides, VLC seems "a little" unstable It crashed randomly on 3 machines I tested, under Windows 98SE, XP and 2K.

More news in doom9, I'm going to test this today:

Quote:
On the brighter side there is a new release of Media Player Classic (6.4.7.9) with a new mpeg splitter that includes support for cvd/svcd subtitles (changelog).
from the sourceforge page:

Quote:
New internal mpeg splitter: It can read program/transport/elementary streams, demuxes mpeg1/mpeg2 video, ac3/dts/mpeg/lpcm audio, cvd/scvd/dvd subtitles. You can switch streams through the filter menu (play/filters/...) similar to the original ogm splitter. The subtitle stream is set to a default dummy entry (to prevent emails asking how to turn it off , so it has to be changed to a real stream before you will see anything. Possible problems/bugs/annoyancies: seeking doesn't work very well with small files, and it may not be that resistant to stream errors always (time will tell I guess
The mpeg2 decoder was updated to accept and display cvd/svcd subtitles of course. Before you ask, there is no other known decoder for dshow doing this. None of the effects of svcd subs are supported at the moment, I don't have the specs on them and have no test files either.
03-12-2004, 02:26 PM
Free Member

The media player classic works!!!!

I'll update the guide with how to use it for testing.
03-12-2004, 04:11 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFR

The media player classic works!!!!

I'll update the guide with how to use it for testing.
yes GFR, is great and open ac3 too!

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ckage_id=84358

03-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Free Member

Yep. Works perfectly
But to see subtitles I have to set secondary subtitle track (of course I'm ok with that )