Quantcast New DVD Player for Lots of SKVCDs - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-10-2004, 10:53 AM
Free Member

First off, thanks for taking the time to post so much valuable info for free.
Obviously it is a time consuming exercise and spend as much time as most of you do helping others comendable.

I picked up my first DVD player last week, a Daytek P871 .
Darn this unit plays almost anything, (no mpeg4 ).
I accidently encoded a pal25fps @480x480 and played fine.

I have done a fair bit of capping, encodeing, archinving, with mpeg4(Formula1 racing-still looking for better mpeg4 settings for such fast motion-long distance action ) and this is whole new ball of wax for me.

I will breifly outline what I do and pls comment if nec.

Demux/encode audio with besweet or headac3e @160/128.
Create/modify avysinth script with AvsEdit/notepad and then the built in script editor in VirtualdubMOD to fine tune scaling/cropping/resizing/borders.
Here is a sample of my simple script. I tryed out the latest optimized script and it bogged down my XP/AMD2200/1Gig ram sys so I symplified it and now I get 1.8 to 2.3 x actual frame rate in CCE. Very fast and result is good quality-not normal DVD but better than VHS
Code:
LoadPlugin("E:\VIDEOE~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec3.dll")
mpeg2source("D:\movie.d2v") #or avisource
trim(0,135434)
Crop(18,0,-18,0)
LanczosResize(480,300)
AddBorders(0,90,0,90)
ConvertToYUY2()
#  FOOL CCEnc 
empty = BlankClip()
AudioDub(last,empty)
#(1:30:17.360) 135434
For prediction I started w/manual and moved to Qcce with good results thanks to the guide here.
Once I have my .mpv i mux with bbmpeg or tmpenc, make bin/cue with vcd easy and burn with Alcohol 120%
The main object of this post is to thank you for sharing your hard work and to get an opinion of my simple/fast avisynth script. Are there any filters I could/should add that won't slow me down much but increase quality.
TIA for any comments.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickey
I get 1.8 to 2.3 x actual frame rate in CCE. Very fast and result is good quality-not normal DVD but better than VHS
Your script does nothing but cropping/resizing !
As always the true goal is to make thinks good or fast ?

Put at least one spatial and one temporal filter in your script and the result will be far better looking whith no such big speed drop.

Quote:
mpeg2source("D:\movie.d2v") #or avisource
Crop(18,0,-18,0)
LanczosResize(480,300)
AddBorders(0,90,0,90)
These values are strange : your source isn't anamorphic ? It's not common for DVD.
Always use Moviestacker to find the corrrect Crop/resize parameter. Because as this, it seems to me taht you screw up your A/R there.

Quote:
ConvertToYUY2()
No need if you use CCe2.66 or upper. If you have CCE2.50, taht's okay.

BTW you should use TMPGENC ! Even if it's slower.

Quote:
Are there any filters I could/should add that won't slow me down much but increase quality.
Just DL this plugin (for 2.5) and add a simple "Deen()" juste after the LanczosResize.

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic....highlight=deen
(do not use other deen version, it was updated in the post above).

I'm not 100% sure about this filter as I test it since only 2 days but for sure, things won't be worst than what you have for the moment !
03-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
These values are strange : your source isn't anamorphic ? It's not common for DVD.
Always use Moviestacker to find the corrrect Crop/resize parameter. Because as this, it seems to me taht you screw up your A/R there.

BTW you should use TMPGENC ! Even if it's slower.
Thats why I use the built in script editor in VdubMod, by tweaking the cropping/resizing/addborders to visually check the aspect ratio. I know it is frowned upon but I usually crop 16 of each side. I know that mathimatically they are off but I go by looks. If faces are too long I squeeze up . This method looks great on the TV maintaing widescreen "look".

Why use TMPenc for mpg2/svcd? Is CCE good for only DVD(higher) bitrates? Plus it's soooo slow .

I will check out Deen. Should I load plug in at top and then just "Deen()" and no numbers or parameters?
03-10-2004, 06:26 PM
Free Member

So I did a few short samples with Deen [in script: deen()]
It did slow down a bit but I didn't see a difference in quality.
If I use Tempenc will I have better Quality?

And isn't movie stacker a dead tool? I mean I use avysinth 254 and I think I read around here that the 2 are not compatible.
TIA.
03-10-2004, 07:38 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickey
Why use TMPenc for mpg2/svcd? Is CCE good for only DVD(higher) bitrates?
You answered yourself to the question

Quote:
It did slow down a bit but I didn't see a difference in quality.
Look at the file size with and without Deen. Filesize is supposed to be far smaller with deen. That means that for a given target size, you will be abble to increase the quality. That's how we judge that a filter improve quality.
(the smaller the file is without you can notice it on the screen, the better is the filter. And here it seems that you didn't notice anything, that's a good point for deen )

Quote:
And isn't movie stacker a dead tool? I mean I use avysinth 254 and I think I read around here that the 2 are not compatible.
The "script generating" part of Moviestacker is dead. But you can still use it to computes the rezising parameters and copy/paste them by hand in your script.
03-10-2004, 09:03 PM
Free Member

Thanks for clarifying, Gonna put together a script and try and make a 230 min KVCD
03-11-2004, 06:53 PM
Free Member

Ha, hammm,
Sorry guys but maybe MS is not dead yet.
Since we've seen Muaddib around lately he might be thinking in updating the tool one of these days.
Anyway, for now, MS is only good for resizing and not for scripting under AVS 2.5x, of course.
One tool that you could use instead of MS is FitCD which has been updated on the calculations.
This one hasn't got many scripting skills...but it's AVS 2.5x compliant...
Cheers