Quantcast DVD Burners Labels - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
03-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

a few days Kwag send me recomendations to get a Sony dvd burner!

i can't find Sony here in my place,than i got an lg-4081b!
one more friend got the lg-4040b and 2 another friends the Pioneer 106d!

i see posts in every forum with problems using the Pioneers burners.
i find just a few with problems using LG's
and the majority are the users that do his own mistakes, not the lg burner.

now i ask:
how (or why) "everybody" want Pioneer with problems than LG (or another label)
that burn + and - dvdrs/rw and dvd-ram without problems?!?!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

03-15-2004, 01:06 PM
Free Member

If you use DVD-R's, Pioneer should be the best one. I don't know what kind of problems people have had, but with an up-to-date firmware you shouldn't run into problems.

Check this site out:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/index.php
03-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to incredible
I got a 105 from Pioneer (which only supports DVD-R/-RW) but this brand is very good and almost a standard up to now (also a build in drive in the apple G series) ... but that could change very fast.

The ONLY problem known is that this Drive does not support CD-R Overburning via NERO! Just a few MBs if DAO/9660 is selected (I think that was the name). But via Daemon Tools and CloneCD it should be possible as reports in the www proof that.

But anyhow ... I don't overburn CD-Rs so thats only a little "report" of mine
03-15-2004, 01:18 PM
Free Member

And I do have a 106D with which I never failed any burning (on DVD) whatever the brand (Verbatim, Philipps, Noname... nearly 40 yet), whatever the format (-R, +R, -Rw, +Rw) and whatever the speed (2x, 2.4x, 4x).

I think that people having problems used this strange RPC1 firmware we already spoke about
03-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Free Member

I also own a lg-4040b... Never ran into problems yet...

Well I gotta say all I did burn until now were DVD-RAMs and DVD+R Media...
03-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Free Member

Hi,

i think many problems are media related. I also have a LG-4040B, never ran into any problems while burning, always with latest firmware. And stay on 2x or 1x
I've burnt all fomats to test the lg, and nothing failed. Only one media brand (Emtec) had problems when playing on another DVD-ROM.
Don't know about Pioneer, but they've won many tests in Germany till the LG was there

I wonder how many real different media brands are out there. Seems that there areless than 5

Krassi
03-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Free Member

Send a message via ICQ to BobNET
I have two friends who bought LG-4081B drives a few weeks ago, and haven't heard any complaints from either of them yet. Not sure what media they're using though (it might be 2x). It took a while for 4x media to be readily available in Canada, so I think it'll be a few months before they get to test 8x discs...

And for what it's worth, I've never burned a coaster (DVD or CD) with my Pioneer A05 (DVD-R(W) only, no DVD+R(W)).
03-17-2004, 06:11 AM

great!

incredible (aka inc)
found a solution to overburn cdrs in nero with Pioneer DVD Burners.!

take a look:

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9679

( i'm sending this link to my friends that have Pioneers dvd burners)

03-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorel
great!

incredible (aka inc)
found a solution to overburn cdrs in nero with Pioneer DVD Burners.!

take a look:

http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9679

( i'm sending this link to my friends that have Pioneers dvd burners)

Before to do that... You have to knwo that this does not work.

The result is exactly the same as if you did with Nero except that you don't have any eror reported. But you still can't do anything above 83 minutes.

If Nero was the only one in cause, the overburing would have been possible using CDRDAO. But it is not.
03-17-2004, 06:34 AM

ok Phil,
i'm sending this advertences and this link here too!

thanks for that!
03-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
Before to do that... You have to knwo that this does not work.

The result is exactly the same as if you did with Nero except that you don't have any eror reported. But you still can't do anything above 83 minutes.

If Nero was the only one in cause, the overburing would have been possible using CDRDAO. But it is not.
a) It does work (well, for me) ... otherwise I wouldn't report that.

b) yesterday I burned 85 Minutes to disk (wow 2 minutes more ) using that way... no errors no problems, perfect playback ... Ive done the same track using Nero Error & Playbackproblem afterwards at the last 2 minutes of the disk in the SAP.

c) As I know, based on the supported Drive Table of CDRAO (in VCDeasy for example) ... Pioneer DVD writers are only supported in playback, not in recording. And so its a non-support issue of CDRAO ... IMHO, but not shure.

Also its mentioned there, that its not worth to burn 90mins or 99mins as the price of these CDR medias do stay in no relation to DVD-R medias (according to the relation of space and price).

So the sense of the report there is only if a prediction failed/went over about a few minutes.
03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
b) yesterday I burned 85 Minutes to disk (wow 2 minutes more ) using that way... no errors no problems, perfect playback ... Ive done the same track using Nero Error & Playbackproblem afterwards at the last 2 minutes of the disk in the SAP.
Do you mean that Nero went till the end of the burning ? Even with an error ? Because it never do that with my 106D. At exactly 82.59 the burning STOPS ! But this 82'59 on the disc are correctly playable anywhere.

It seems that things are different with you drive.

Quote:
c) And so its a non-support issue of CDRAO ... IMHO, but not shure.
New vcdeasy 2.0 manage to burn on the pioneer but you are right : old 1.1.7 didn't.

Quote:
Also its mentioned there, that its not worth to burn 90mins or 99mins as the price of these CDR medias do stay in no relation to DVD-R medias (according to the relation of space and price).
I saw (and read) that. But I have still 7 CD90 which I can't use since I have this burner, that's why I did test on CD90
BTW in France price aren't the same at all : CD90 = 1€, DVD = 5€. That's why I order all my DVD in Germany

Quote:
So the sense of the report there is only if a prediction failed/went over about a few minutes.
I didn't meant you post was useless. I just wanted to warn Jorel before he tells that to all his friends
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialhot
BTW in France price aren't the same at all : CD90 = 1€, DVD = 5€. That's why I order all my DVD in Germany
WOW!

Isn't there any "Conrad electronics" Store near to you in paris (I dont know if they do have stores in france too but there Website also does contain an pan-european part)

10 DVDs in one "spindle" = 9,95 Euros and they do work perfect in my pioneer drive.

Where do you order them in germany? And which brand/type? Price?
03-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredible
10 DVDs in one "spindle" = 9,95 Euros and they do work perfect in my pioneer drive.
As I told, you are clearly not in France : there is a TAX on each virgin DVD. 1€56 per disc only for this special tax (and you have to add the normal tax that is 19.6% here).
We also have a tax on every digital information storage device : MD, CD and even Hard Disc ! All this goes to the muscial industry in order to compensate the "lost" due to piracy.

that means that every PC owner (included companies) pay a tax to music insdustry even if he never do any mp3 on his PC !
(normally when I order in Germany, I should declare and pay the tax myself to the autorities. EEC you said ? pffff....)

And in the same time we have :
- a law that allow to do personnal copy of DVD and CD we own

but also :

- a judge decision that says that copy protection on the CD audio is legal

Nice country isn't it ?

Quote:
Where do you order them in germany? And which brand/type? Price?
In fact taht is a french guy that has a shop on the border between France and Germany. This site is there : http://www.maxdisc24.com/

Prices ? Near 1€ for 4x noname, to 3€ for 8x Verbatim. Depend on the quantity.