Quantcast Dreamcast (with Xing Hong VCD Player) - digitalFAQ.com Forums [Archives]
05-21-2004, 12:23 AM
Free Member

I tried out a few burned KVCDs on my Dreamcast, using the Xing Hong VCD player. Now this is one of the earlier VCD player discs, nothing as slick as the Dream VCD player offered on Lik-Sang (which is on my "to-buy" list) so I didn't expect much. I first tried out one @ 528x480, which gave me a screen of mostly green blocks with jerky, skipping sound in the background. Next I tried a "General-use" 352x240 @ CQ 70. This showed a little more promise, but had its glitches: artifacting, only patches of the screen refreshing, etc. So why am I telling you this? Well I tried a basic, normal VCD, burned on the same media; I encountered similar -- though slightly less severe -- effects. I'm not sure what exactly causes this, perhaps it's that my burner has a minimum burn speed of 4x, maybe its the media. Regardless, I know that a Dreamcast can play VCDs with no issues.

I'm interested to see if anybody who owns a Dreamcast -- one that they know can play normal VCDs -- has tested KVCDs. If so this would be a great low-cost solution. (Most used game stores sell Dreamcasts for about $20)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Site Staff / Ad Manager

05-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Free Member

Hi yukichigali, unfortunately the Xing Hong VCD player just plain sucks.

Its playback is jerky and sound usually always goes out of synch. I have heard good things about the Dream VCD player from Lik-Sang though.

Also with the Dreamcast you will also suffer when using resolutions like 528x480, I used the Dreamcast DivX player and the same jerky problem happened unless I made my res 352 x 288 (I live in PAL country) with 22khz mono MP3 sound.

The DC cant handly large resolutions because I doesnt have enough memory to sufficiently buffer the video data and so it will lead to skipping.

So In your case its best to stick to 352 x 240 resolution, but like I say that Xing Hong VCD player is really bad I had it and the quality even with plain VCD's was aweful with jerky motion and out of synch sound.

I hope this info helps.

Michael.
05-27-2004, 08:00 PM
Free Member

Gypplay is far superior to the xing hong VCD player and its FF/RW works very well.

and about that memory thing, I dont think thats true, since almost all the games used that video format that is basically just MPEG with different audio and headers, I believe that the GD-Rom is just not fast enough to stream data quick enough.
05-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragmaster170
Gypplay is far superior to the xing hong VCD player and its FF/RW works very well.

and about that memory thing, I dont think thats true, since almost all the games used that video format that is basically just MPEG with different audio and headers, I believe that the GD-Rom is just not fast enough to stream data quick enough.
The memory issue is very true no games had a resolution larger than 496x496 no matter what format it was in be it Mpeg, Sega Softdec or DivX.

The DC Hardware simply cannot support larger resolution and indeed you need memory to buffer the video file so that playback is smooth as like you said it cannot be streamed fast enough off the GD-ROM without memory buffer therein lies the problem.

Even GypPlay may have superior playback to DCDivX but even that has slgihtly jerky playback

Michael.