Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-24-2019, 05:10 PM
Free Member

There's been numerous posts I have been reading over the years on trying to transfer the files made with VD and moving them to the main editing rig for further processing, since WinXP has to remain offline for security reasons.

The method of course has been the use of utilizing external hard drives with eSata connections and then connecting that drive to the editing rig. However, I figured another way to transfer files by simply just using the NICs on my machines.

In my case I have one XP capture machine, and the more modern one I have is a Skylake system running Windows 8.1. I have a dual-port NIC installed in the Skylake machine where I can just simply connect a straight through Ethernet cable to the XP box which also has a 1GB NIC installed. No need for a crossover cable since the NICs are new enough to auto negotiate the connection.

Then its just the matter of setting up the network connection on both machines so they can see each other. I set up a separate network by setting an IP address with a different subnet from the Skylake system network which is using a wireless NIC for the internet connection.

So within XP I can create a shared folder that the Skylake system can access and the same in reverse. This way when I finish creating files on the XP system, I can just simply move the files from the XP box to the Skylake system with 1GB network speeds. And since its an independent network connection the XP box still has no internet connection whatsoever, so it remains safe from the evil Internet as its connected directly to the Skylake box.

I'm sure some of you may know this already, but I thought to put this out there so as to have an alternative to using external hard drives and dealing with eSATA connections.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

09-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

What kind of transfer rates do you achieve?

Can I use a hub to connect multiple systems together to swap between them all?

I use hot swap bays for all of the systems. However, I make sure I turn off the computers before I remove/replace the drive.

Wondering if I could get a fibre card for an XP based machine.
09-28-2019, 04:27 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei316 View Post
What kind of transfer rates do you achieve?

Can I use a hub to connect multiple systems together to swap between them all?

I use hot swap bays for all of the systems. However, I make sure I turn off the computers before I remove/replace the drive.

Wondering if I could get a fibre card for an XP based machine.
So far I've been getting near gigabit speeds between the two machines. Of course this was testing with 30GB video files.

Depending on your networking skills you could simply get a switch to connect different XP boxes to it and therefore have a separate network with a different subnet. All you would have to do is manually assign a static IP address to each XP box. If you have modern NICs that would also eliminate the needs for crossover cables too and just use straight through ethernet cables. This way you would have a completely isolated network for your XP machines to talk to each other and not having to interfere with your main network that uses the internet.

With your hotswap bays, technically you should be able to remove/insert drives without having to power down (speaking from a server prospective).

As for fibre....I seriously doubt you could get one for XP since the OS is long dead as far as drivers are concerned, even for 10Gb connections.
09-28-2019, 04:33 PM
Premium Member

I have two managed switches available to use. All of my NIC's are Gigabit.

So connect all PC's to switch... assign static ips to each box... i am now confused.
09-28-2019, 04:49 PM
Free Member

Quote:
I have two managed switches available to use. All of my NIC's are Gigabit.

So connect all PC's to switch... assign static ips to each box... i am now confused.

I also have a managed switch, but it can either be managed or unmanaged, it doesn't matter. With my test setup I just have it wired directly between the two machines but the same concept applies with the switch. When I get my x99 editing rig back up and running I will have the XP machine connect to it in addition to the Skylake system.

To keep it simple all you would have to do is with each XP box go to the network adapter settings and usually where it says to automatically assign an IP address simply type one in manually. You can decide what subnet you want to use for your machines. You would just need to put in the IP and subnet mask; don't have to mess with DNS or anything like that.

You also have to run the Network Sharing Wizard in XP where it will open the proper ports in the firewall to share with other machines.

I know it may seem confusing at first but its pretty easy though. I prefer this method over having to swap drives and such and dealing with eSATA ports which I have never used nor have any external drives for. I will try to do a documented instruction sheet on how its done. Its a good thing I kept my 'XP Inside Out' book which is a heavy hardcover book lol for reference since I also want to eliminate the Recycle Bin on the desktop (different procedure doing it in XP compared to the modern OS's).
09-28-2019, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

That makes sense.

I am getting tired of powering down my machines and then swapping drives. Plus I am clumsy and I WILL eventually drop my 8tb capture drive!! I know the Win7 machine has no problem with hot swapping but the XP machines I am hesistant to even try it.

Would I be able to add my Win7 and Win10 machines to the network? Can I access the internet on my Win7 machine only?
09-28-2019, 05:10 PM
Free Member

Quote:
That makes sense.

I am getting tired of powering down my machines and then swapping drives. Plus I am clumsy and I WILL eventually drop my 8tb capture drive!! I know the Win7 machine has no problem with hot swapping but the XP machines I am hesistant to even try it.

Would I be able to add my Win7 and Win10 machines to the network? Can I access the internet on my Win7 machine only?
Yes, 8tb drives are still a bit expensive lol.

Yes you can interface your Win7 and Win10 machines (via dual-port NICs). In my test setup I have interfaced my XP box directly to the Skylake system which runs Win8.1. With my Skylake system I have a wireless NIC (in addition to the ethernet card installed) in which the wireless card connects to the internet. The wired connection is connected direct to the XP machine with a separate IP.

Once I have ran the Network Wizard in XP, my Skylake box was able to see the XP machine and the shared folder I have setup for it.

So, if you have a dual-port NIC on your Win7 and Win10 machines, you can simply assign the unused port the separate IP subnet your other XP machines are communicating with each other on. The other port can have its own IP (different subnet) that remains internet connected and the two networks will never see each other (unless you want them to, and is another whole topic).

Seems complex but once you get the concept its pretty easy. Good thing I have been taking some courses in IT and networking.
The following users thank VideoTechMan for this useful post: Sergei316 (09-28-2019)
09-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Premium Member

I have to order some cable and get a second NIC for the Win7 machine.

Kepp your eyes and ears open... I will definetley be in contact.

Thanks for all your help.
09-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Premium Member

Could I use a DHCP server as well or is that overkill?
09-28-2019, 06:11 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Could I use a DHCP server as well or is that overkill?
DHCP server isn't needed, especially for the XP boxes. All they will be used for is to transfer files between each other so once an IP is set for each machine, that's pretty much it.