Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-09-2020, 01:08 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
What I want to do is have an internal 16tb (or larger) HDD in my main desktop.

The backup process will look like this:
- Turn off system.
- Plug in power cable to HDD, swipe the BD drive SATA (because all 10 of my SATA are full)
- Turn on system, copy over data for backup.
- Turn off, unplug, reboot for normal usage.

I don't really want to mess with storing external backup drives anymore. Trying to declutter my office, desk and drawers. Too many external HDDs, wanting to reduce the footprint. Besides, data over SATA3 is far faster than data over USB3.

What I mostly see is Seagate drives --- and I like Seagate, so not a problem.

But:
- Exos?
- Ironwolf?
- Skyhawk?

I've read some comments online that state Exos is loud and hot, which isn't ideal. But the Exos also is not SMR -- a good thing, but does it really matter for a backup drive? (True, backups will eventually be deleted and replaced, but still.) The cost of an Exos is about $385 (perhaps less via eBay, or a tax-less site if any still exist), while 3x external 5tb are about $330.

Thoughts?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-09-2020, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

I have the Exos 16 Tb by Seagate and it is NOISY! I don't know how hot it is as it resides in a NAS and reports as fine temperature wise. I just recently ran across something that said Exos is SMR. Bummed me out because I was aiming not to utilize SMR in the NAS. I wish I could remember where I saw that information but to be safe you might want to check before you dive in.
The following users thank DrMikeMc for this useful post: always_summer (02-18-2021)
06-10-2020, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

SMR is fine for backup. It will be slow on small file writes, especially overwrites, but backups are usually a set it and forget operation.

If you have terabytes of data to overwrite, it may actually be faster to wipe and rewrite the entire drive. This is what I do with my 8TB Archive drives when I'm updating my video files. Takes about 24 hours to fill the entire drive.
06-12-2020, 12:18 AM
Site Staff | Video

I read where Exos 16tb X16 is CMR with 9 platters, not SMR at all. However, some Exos are SMR. Just not the exact drive I'm eyeballing. I may do it, because I found a place to get it for $386 + free shipping + no tax, which is like an automatic 8% discount. Now it's almost 1:1 pricing with 3x 5tb Seagate SMR USB3 externals. Only downside is I'm responsible for return shipping if DOA ($9?).

Should I pull the trigger before the sale ends in a few days?

My only concern is the noise and heat ... but again, not a 24/7 drive, only for backup as needed. I heard some nasty clunking videos on Youtube, found via Reddit.

USB3 does kind of suck for writing backups, full 5tb write can take most of a day. And the 2.5" 5tb drives can start to overheat after 3-4 hours. So another reason I've been looking for alternatives like the Exos X16.

06-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Premium Member

If you can go a bit smaller or buy two for just a bit more, BestBuy has 12TB EasyStore drives on sale for $199 right now, not quite the $180 it goes for once in a while. CMR and easily shuckable. I have one coming next week. Not exactly what I'm going to use it for. Maybe a backup for my spare. Had to use my Reward Points before they expire.
06-12-2020, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

I did a little checking and the Exos 16 appears to be CMR. Some of the smaller drives are not.
06-12-2020, 11:23 PM
Premium Member

Here's a list of known SMR drives as of April 16, 2020. Note that the 2.5" Seagate Barracuda drives are SMR, which is probably why it's so slow.

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/...mr-drives.141/

The good news that Seagate state the Ironwolf drives are CMR.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...-smr-dont-mix/

As I stated above, SMR or CMR makes no difference to me because the majority of my drives are used to store movie rips and TV shows. I put the drives into my multi-drive external box and let it run overnight and into the next day for backup or updates. I get a consistent 130-150MB/s because the files are large on both SMR and CMR drives. Multiple small files drop to 30-50MB/s.

I've bought a handful of internal drives over the past few years as an experiment to see if the extra warranty is worth it, but mostly buy cheap externals and shuck them. I actively use the drive as my primary until the warranty ends, then move it to use a backup. I replace the primary drive with a usually larger drive for the same price I paid 2-3 years earlier.
06-14-2020, 04:17 AM
Site Staff | Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by lingyi View Post
If you can go a bit smaller or buy two for just a bit more, BestBuy has 12TB EasyStore drives on sale for $199 right now, not quite the $180 it goes for once in a while. CMR and easily shuckable. I have one coming next week. Not exactly what I'm going to use it for. Maybe a backup for my spare. Had to use my Reward Points before they expire.
I looked minutes after you posted this, but it was $249 online.

So I went with the 16tb Exos. $387, no shipping, no tax, from ServerPartDeals. I really wanted a single drive anyway. Hard to beat that price, at least for now.

I'm still waiting for my 16tb $500 SSDs to exist.

I do not understand why SSD makers can't just make a chunky SSD with 3D NAND TLC. I don't get why it must be the same 2.5" form factor, when most of us stick it on the bottom of the case anyway (not in drive bay). Make a friggin' cube! Slap 8 layers together, give me a 32tb 850 EVO! Am I missing something here, or are they?

06-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Premium Member

Glad to hear you got what you really wanted at a good price.

As for large SSDs, I suspect heat is a factor. I once grabbed one of my SSDs to move it while it was running and nearly burned my fingers! Sure, they could make a cube with cooling fan, but as you know, people are resistant to change. OMG! How huge...SSDs are supposed to be 12mm 2.5" only! How am I going to fit it in my case??? LOL

Remember Quantum Bigfoot, the awful (I had one) 5.25" drive during the start of the 3.5" hdd era. Lots of ridicule and complaints about the form factor.