digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Building a computer for this hobby... (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/1080-building-computer-hobby.html)

DAN_D 07-11-2007 01:09 AM

Building a computer for this hobby...

I'm looking into building/buying a computer that would be used exclusively for dvd creation and video restoration. If possible, I would appreciate it if LS, as well as others would post an (extensive) list of everything (hardware & software-wise), that one would need to buy to get a great start in this aspect of "this thing of ours". I think LS has posted similar lists before, but it would be nice to have one posted here and added as a sticky, that way it's easily accessible for myself as well as anyone else interested in this side of the hobby.

Also, could you also post the approximate cost of everything that will be needed?

Thanks,

Dan D.

P.S.

I'm also open to having someone else possibly build this computer for me, (which I'd pay for, of corse), e-mail me with pertinent info. if anyone is interested.

markatisu 07-11-2007 01:39 AM

Well what all do you want to do?

Do you want to just take stuff recorded off DVD and edit it and author it with nice menus?

Or are you looking for the full blown restoration setup that requires 2 SVHS (or more), a nice DVD recorder, a standalone TBC, and optional detailer and bvp/color processing unit?

What kind of projects are you looking to do? That will determine a lot of times whether you are needing a stronger PC to aide you, basic editing and authoring can be done on a computer as old as a Pentium III (or older in some cases), I should know I use a PIII 600mhz with almost 1gb of RAM because all I do on it is edit with Womble and do some at times re-encode things if needed.

LS should just need to copy and paste what he posted before (not sure where it is or if it was on old CPS), not much has changed in the land of restoration besides newer equipment and faster CPU processors.

I cant be of much help because I use a Mac for everything I do, so I dont get into the video card/pc side of things too much.

DAN_D 07-11-2007 01:44 AM

I'm looking to do both...record off of dvd, edit, author with nice menus as well as restoration.

Is a MAC better for this endeavor?

markatisu 07-11-2007 01:53 AM

I prefer a Mac but thats just me, LS has not had the greatest time with them. They are not the best at the entire re-encode/software enhance process. Slowly (and I mean slowly) OS X is getting better encoding software but its not at the forefront because many people dont work with UNIX (which is what OS X is based off) outside of programs like ffmpeg

Now sound restoration is something I think is on par with the PC, besides Apple Soundtrack you have great programs like Amadeus II.

But the thing about the new Intel Macs is you can load Windows XP or Windows Vista so it makes the point moot about software since it essentially is a PC as well as an OS X machine. If you are experienced I would recommend one of those because you could get the best of both without sacrifice (dont like the PC stuff boot into OSX, dont like OS X boot back to the PC).

However, I have not found a better DVD authoring program than DVD Studio Pro, the closest one I can compare it to is Ulead DVD Workshop but I prefer DVDSP more which is why I have stayed with the Mac (I am still using my 2000 PowerMac G4 with 1gb of RAM to do all my projects because it is not slow and gets my work done).

But for starters or entry level I would recommend a PC, it has the easiest to learn on software and LS as well as Phillip have given quite a few guides and input that would help you get into things quickly.

On a PC I did a lot of my early projects. More recent ones were all made on a Mac though and a lot of people seemed to really be fond of the discs (my latest sets).

My setup includes

-3 SVHS units (A JVC 3xxx with no filters, a JVC 9xxx with built in TBC, and a JVC Hxxx that Eli provided with built in TBC)
-1 DVHS H40000u
-1 Matrox RtMac DV system for the Mac
-1 AVT 8710 TBC/basic adjustment unit
-1 JVC DVD Recorder
-1 BVP
-1 Detailer IV (slider model)
-PowerMac G4 400mhz with 1gb of RAM, BTC 1100 & Pioneer 110 burners
-Dell Pentium III 600mhz with 1gb of RAM, with basic DVD-ROM & firewire
-Multiple external firewire hard drives (ranging from 80gb-250gb+)
-Epson R200 disc printer
-HP 4500 color laserjet

And that in a nutshell is my recording/restoration setup

In the fall I am going to be replacing the PC with a Intel Macbook Pro with 2gb of RAM to handle both Mac and PC software (and minimize my office/work space).