Motherboard: ASRock 775 Dual-VSTA
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800 2.93GHz
GPU: ATI All in Wonder 9200 AGP
RAM:2GB G.Skill DDR2 800MHz
OS Drive: WD Blue 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Storage Drive: WD Blue 1TB 720 RPM HDD
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
PSU: EVGA 650 BQ 80+

After moving my rig from the ground to a table it wouldn't boot. I went through the usual troubleshooting and after having little luck I decided to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again. I thought everything was going well after the rebuilt as the computer was booting into Windows XP. However it quickly became clear that all of the back panel USB and PS/2 port no longer work. Both types of keyboard aren't working in BIOS either. I've tried reseating the RAM, replacing the CMOS battery, cycling the power, connecting the front panel USB ports to both available pins on the motherboard, but nothing seems to be working. I've found a few forum posts across the web that suggest installing a PCI USB card could solve the problem, but I'm not sure this will work if I don't have a way to install drivers.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMedia View Post
Build:
Motherboard: ASRock 775 Dual-VSTA
CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme x6800 2.93GHz
GPU: ATI All in Wonder 9200 AGP
RAM:2GB G.Skill DDR2 800MHz
OS Drive: WD Blue 500GB 7200 RPM HDD
Storage Drive: WD Blue 1TB 720 RPM HDD
Sound Card: Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
PSU: EVGA 650 BQ 80+
Nice capture system specs.

Quote:
After moving my rig from the ground to a table it wouldn't boot. I went through the usual troubleshooting and after having little luck I decided to take the whole thing apart and put it back together again. I thought everything was going well after the rebuilt as the computer was booting into Windows XP. However it quickly became clear that all of the back panel USB and PS/2 port no longer work. Both types of keyboard aren't working in BIOS either. I've tried reseating the RAM, replacing the CMOS battery, cycling the power, connecting the front panel USB ports to both available pins on the motherboard, but nothing seems to be working. I've found a few forum posts across the web that suggest installing a PCI USB card could solve the problem, but I'm not sure this will work if I don't have a way to install drivers.
Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's probably the power supply. I've seen weird stuff like that. It doesn't feed enough power (reason ports quit working), yet enough to half function. Remember, all ports have power. Not enough power, no ports.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-24-2018, 12:10 PM
Premium Member

Hi LS

Earlier today I tried booting up the capture PC with another PSU I had lying around. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get back panel USB or PS/2 ports working.

Right now I feel like I have 3 reasonable options and 1 complicated option.

Reasonable options:

1) Buy another motherboard that supports the LGA 775 socket and AGP GPUs
2) Buy a PCI USB card and try using that with my current motherboard
3) Dig up an old Dell Dimensions Desktop that supports AGP and upgrade it with a faster CPU and HDDs

Complicated option:

1) Attempt to find and replace possibly defective capacitors on my current motherboard

Out of these options which would you choose?

Update:

I've decided to replace the motherboard. After doing some research I found a forum post on vogons.org that had a detailed list of LGA 775 compatible motherboards that also have an AGP slot. One motherboard on the list, the ASRock 775i65G R3.0, is compatible with both Pentium 4 and Core 2 Duo/Extreme CPUs, and is still being sold brand new by a few retailers online! This motherboard will be the perfect replacement for my failing second-hand ASRock 775Dual-VSTA. I felt this discovery was important to share because it could be of great help to someone planning a PC build for analog video capture.

Link to forum post below:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php...lit=socket+478
08-24-2018, 02:32 PM
Free Member

wouldn't buying a PCI card for $15 be more cost prohibitive?
08-24-2018, 07:13 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,307 Times in 982 Posts
Who would want to trade a cheap PCI card for an AGP All In Wonder 9200?
I certainly wouldn't.
Are you saying you would?
08-25-2018, 02:40 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
Who would want to trade a cheap PCI card for an AGP All In Wonder 9200?
I certainly wouldn't.
Are you saying you would?
Can't you add this to an additional PCI slot on the motherboard? I added a PCI to SATA adapter card because the SATA ports on my capture PC motherboard wouldn't read any additional hard drives, I added the PCI card an viola! I have to imagine the same could be done with a PCI card with USB slots
08-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by house141 View Post
wouldn't buying a PCI card for $15 be more cost prohibitive?
I thought it over and a PCI USB card might be a quick fix, but a bad motherboard will only get worse over time. The replacement motherboard I ordered is brand new and will be under warranty so I decided that's the better long term solution.
08-26-2018, 03:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

The only way I'd trade an AGP AIW is if I had an AIW 7500 VE 64mb PCI card. Even then, no. Although not a huge difference (5%), the AIW 9000s use Theatre 200, while PCI uses Theatre 100/Rage. Given the choice, I'll take the 5% improvement for MPEG. AVI unaffected.

If he did anything, and is fine with AVI only, there are USB options.

09-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Premium Member

9/15/2018 Update:

I believe I've identified why my PS/2 and USB ports stopped working. There are three pins in the top left corner of the ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA directly above the CPU power input. During the course of removing and re-installing my components I must have slid a 2 pin header out of place. This header specifically regulates power to all of the USB and PS/2 ports on the motherboard. I've attached images of the pins and the header to this post.

Going forward I will still be using the new ASRock 775i65G R3.0.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PS-2-USB_Header0001.jpg (57.4 KB, 12 downloads)
File Type: jpg PS-2-USB_Header0002.jpg (58.6 KB, 9 downloads)
09-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Site Staff | Video

That ASRock 775DUAL-VSTA is such a nice board.
I have the next revisions, the 4CoreDual-SATA2, and keep a spare as well.

Let me know how that 775i65G acts for you after a good bit of capturing. Especially interested in the SATA performance.

09-17-2018, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

That jumper is to allow PS/2 or USB keyboards/mice to wake the machine from sleep. Specifically, it forces the 5v power lines to remain active when the machine is in sleep mode or powered off.

the 775i65G uses the tried and true Intel 865G chipset with the ICH5 southbridge powering the SATA ports. Speed should be the same as older Socket 478 boards.
The following users thank NJRoadfan for this useful post: JPMedia (09-17-2018)
07-07-2020, 08:25 PM
Free Member

JPMedia,

I was wondering if you have a couple minutes to help me with a XP PC build? I found a forum post you did when you rebuilt your motherboard: ASRock 775 Dual-VSTA. I am trying to replicate your build (if that is ok). I am trying to utilize a ATI AIW All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500 64MB DDR AGP card.

I just bought the same motherboard and found the components you had listed - pasted them in the attachment. I was wondering if you could take a quick look to see if I made any mistakes. I have built PCs before but it has been awhile. Also, do you know where/what case I can buy for this system?

I attached a pdf - let me know if you have any problems opening it.

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.

Thank you

Attached Files
File Type: pdf AGP WinXP - Build.pdf (1.32 MB, 9 downloads)
07-08-2020, 03:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

The Antec 300 is by far the best case:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006TVQTHW...language=en_US

Hint: Look at the other sellers, not Amazon itself.
Note: It's a $100 case, and the $80 is just the backorder price. However, if patient, can wait a month, go for it! $80 is great deal.

Get that. I use those for my own builds, and have for years now.

07-08-2020, 03:01 PM
Free Member

Thank you.

I did purchase this case ($80 new on eBay) and went with the 775 Dual-VSTA motherboard, now getting all the components.
07-08-2020, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

@ jklahr

General Question: Have you ordered anything on your list yet?

Specific Questions:

Is that the ATI card you are planning to purchase? It is not an AIW so is useless for capture.
If you already have a real AIW 7500 it should be fine.

Comments:

Shipping anything from the EU or Russia to the US is hit and miss (or worse) today due to the corona virus.

If in the US, you can do quite a bit better on eBay for many of the things you need. For used items, eBay is probably no riskier than used on Amazon...

For example:
search "santa cruz sound card" lists 4 sound cards for less than $40. You can get the drivers on this site.

search "ati (aiw, all in wonder) (9000, 9200, 9600)" lists quite a few promising AIW's.

The caveat here is that any AIW 9600 MUST include a good 29 pin connector cable (not butchered at the 29 pin end). The card is totally useless without the connector cable. Right now there are quite a few that do show what appear to be good connectors. This is rare. I hadn't seen any in 10 months, now there are a bunch listed at one time!

There are some good looking 9600XTs and 9600s listed some fully complete and couple more that at least have the 29 pin cable. The 9600XT has a fan, the 9600 does not. I don't know if there is any difference in capture quality but no fan is always nice. The other subjective disadvantage of all 9600s is that they have only VGA monitor connections (on that 29 pin cable), not DVI. Most of the other AIWs do have DVI connectors (7200, 7500, 8500, 9000, 9700, 9800, etc). None of these need that special 29 pin cable. The 9700 and 9800 generally need separate power connections and have fans that can get noisy.

For any AIW you buy, make sure you understand what cables you need and that you get them with the item or can find them easily elsewhere. For example the purple AIW input cables are readily available.

Here are a couple links to discussions of AIW cables, etc.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...y-ati-aiw.html

http://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/vide...html#post67947

Good luck.

PS: Another case option (I've used) is the Fractal Design Focus G. I like it because it's big enough for a FS ATX board but smaller and lighter (aluminum) than a full tower so easier to move around. It's decently made though the plastic window is kind of chintzy. But it is what it is... Oh and yes, it's cheap
07-08-2020, 04:12 PM
Free Member

Thanks for the help.

Here is what I have purchased so far:

- ASRock 775Dual-VSTA LGA-775 (Socket T) Intel Motherboard (I know it is Kazakhstan but it was the best I could find - hope it works)
- Antec Three Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded 2
- Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 2.93GHz 4M/1066 SL9S5 Socket 775 CPU Processor +Paste
- EVGA 110-BQ-0600-K1 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W, Semi Modular, FDB Fan, 3 Year
- G.Skill NQ Series - Memory - 2 GB : 2 x 1 GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR2 - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8 - 2.0 V - unbuffered - non-ECC
- Turtle Beach Santa Cruz PCI Sound Card
- ATI AIW All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500 64MB DDR AGP 2/4X Video Card (I had the wrong card listed in my post before)
(I used Amazon - had a gift card and eBay)

I am searching for the OS/storage drives now.

Again, thanks for the help. I probably will pick up another capture card.

Jon
07-08-2020, 04:58 PM
Premium Member

Jon,

One other oddity you will have to deal with for the 775Dual motherboard: The SATA ports won't work until you install a driver in the (WinXP) OS for them. This means that you have to install the driver as the OS is installed using a floppy drive or you will have to "slipstream" the driver into a new install CD/DVD for WinXP. The simplest option is to use an IDE drive for the OS. This will mean slightly longer boot times, etc. but will work fine otherwise. The 2 TB SATA drive will work fine once all of the motherboard chipset drivers are installed, including the SATA drivers.

Here's a thread about a similar build that might be worth reading. Post 29 is about the drive issue.

BW

Tags
capture pc, motherboard, usb port, windows xp