Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-20-2020, 05:08 AM
Free Member

Hello,

i am currently buying a new dekstop PC, primarily for video production (4k multicam editing). I currently have a special setup (another PC and AIW USB) for VHS capturing. However, I wish I could do everything related to video on new PC (including VHS capturing) with dual boot (Windows 10, Windows XP).
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-Pro
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X
  • Memory: G.Skill TridentZ NEO RGB 32GB (2x16GB) C16 DDR4 (F4-3200C16D-32GTZN)
  • Storage: Samsung (MZ-V7E1T0BW) 970 EVO SSD 1TB + WD Blue 1TB (HDD)
  • Capture Card: AIW USB
  • Sound Card: (please advice)
  • Power Supply: Corsair TX550M Gold Modular 550W
Would it be possible to do VHS capturing normally with this system? Could there be problems with a powerful and new processor? Given that dual core processors are recommended on the forum.

I have read in other forums that Windows XP also works with the aforementioned processor.

If quality VHS capture were possible with this system, I would also ask you for advice on buying a sound card.

Best,
Tine
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-20-2020, 06:46 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
XP with SSD is a problem, no TRIM.
XP+10 with SSD in dual boot may be a another problem, something to investigate.
In general, for XP, just use a good SATA drive.

There's no need to dual boot here.
- Have SSD as the master detected drive by Win10, OS installed. Unplug SSD when using XP. It's just SATA, easy, not like it's a NVMe of anything.
- Have HDD as only drive for XP. Yes, you can capture to the OS drive when it's a fast large SATA and the rest of the system is fast. Just keep the drive clean, never fill past 90% or so. That said, yet another HDD dedicated to capture is always best. Just use tiny HDD for boot, move SATA cable from SSD to HDD. This is how I "dual boot" on my dev box, different OS per HDD, simply move SATA/power. Access capture drive from both OS, without Windows install on it.

AIW USB uses onboard audio, so Turtle Beach Santa Cruz not required. Any decent sound card fine, even the onboard.

If you can get that CPU and motherboard to work with XP, go for it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
11-20-2020, 07:37 AM
Free Member

Thanks for quick reply.

I forgot to say that of course I would also have a SATA HDD for capturing.

Possible solution without changing SATA cables is - Win 10 on SSD drive, Win XP on HDD drive
and when I want to boot Win XP, I can just change boot priority in BIOS, right? Or no?

Few years ago, you said to me in relation with ATI AIW USB:

Quote:
For audio, for AVI, you route through the audio card like AGP/PCI, so same quality. Turtle Beach Santa Cruz suggested.
I'm a little bit confused now, about sound card.

Best,
Tine

Last edited by Mlchk; 11-20-2020 at 07:48 AM.
11-20-2020, 07:41 AM
Site Staff | Video

I've seen two AIW USB cards where audio needed to be routed separate. But all others were fine.

Part of the initial audio advice was due to the VirtualDub setup, which I've long since resolved. I have a lots of VirtualDub versions, and settings, which work best with every card that I have.

AIW USB is usually set at correct input audio levels. It has no controls. So if you run across an unusually loud tape, you'll need an external mixer to level down the audio.

11-20-2020, 07:49 AM
Free Member

Thanks for explanation. What about SSD / SATA and boot priority (BIOS) ?
12-31-2020, 10:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

When I "dual boot", I share plugs.

HDD#1 = 7
HDD#2 = XP

To use 7, #1 is plugged in.
To use XP, #2 is plugged in.
Both are never plugged in at the same time. Both share the cable.

Sometimes I have large GPT drives, so unplug those as well when XP. (But I want to investigate XP Integrals Edition, which may have backported GPT and 2tb+ HDD size allowed? Will test that soon with USB3 5tb.)

Tags
4k editing, new pc, vhs capturing