Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-21-2021, 11:51 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reading Bug View Post
So I'm thinking:
1. CrystalDiskInfo - to check Power On Hours to confirm it's a new drive.
2. HD Tune - for Error Scans, et al. What I'm used to and trust, for what it's worth.
3. DiskCheckup - for a long Smart test. Maybe.
4. Then filling the drive for a full read/write.

My questions, which don't seem to be on Datahoarder, are:
1. Is a long Smart test necessary with the above, or is HD Tune plus a full read/write good enough?

2. Regarding heat, is it a problem testing an external for up to a full day?

3. lingyi, you mentioned you do a full read/write, then format to write again. I saw someone else mention this too. Why reformat?

Thanks again for indulging me. Once I have a good MO going, I won't need to ask again.
Don't know what FIOS in regard to a hard drive is either. You're probably right that it's something to do with a full write/read test.

It's been a long time since I've used HDTune, but I think it will give SMART results, so no need to CrystalDiskInfo or DiskCheckup. If any of the three gives different results, there's something wrong with the drive, either the firmware or physically, time for RMA.

As for full write. Yes, IMO it's fine. As I stated above, it's a stress test that a drive should pass without issue. I recommend running a fan, either under the drive forcing air through the vents or propping up the drive on a wire rack so the fan can blow past all sides at once. And yes, it will take time, a couple of days to do a full write/verify for a 12TB+ drive https://techinternets.com/copy_calc

I do a reformat so I start with a clean drive after the test. It's an extra layer of security knowing that it passed once and it should pass again. I used to do the same thing with my videotapes. I never used a brand new tape for anything I planned to save. I'd use it at least 5-10 times to make sure the recording was good and the cassette functioned correctly. I don't know if this is true for videotapes, but back in my audiophile days, I read that recording/playing back a new tape would help remove any loose oxide particles and burnish the surface.

As I said above, I'm a firm believer anything electronic is more likely to fail during the first few days or weeks after it's first powered up. I don't know how true this is, but before you calibrate a TV or monitor (lordsmurf, please chime in on this), I've read that you should let it run for a while (at least 200-300 hours for my plasma TV) because the electronics will drift over time. Even then, recalibration is required after X number of hours.

Bottom line, hard drives are meant to be used. There's no timeclock on how long it will last. Too many variables of build, use and environment. To borrow from Drago, "If it dies, it dies". That's what we have backups for!

FYI, Walmart has/had the 8TB Seagate external (SMR) for $140 right now. It's $164 for Amazon Prime Day.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

07-03-2021, 07:57 PM
Free Member

So I went ahead and purchased an 8TB Seagate Backup Plus today, and ran tests (including SMART) using CrystalDiskInfo, DiskCheckup and HD Tune. I understand Seagate uses Hex values but don't understand it at all. Maybe I'm just dense. I looked at various breakdowns from Datahoarder and elsewhere, and I still don't understand it. I think the drive is fine, but wanted to double check here. Also, I'm confused about Power On Time (Line 9) in DiskCheckup. Power On Hours shows zero on CrystalDiskInfo, so maybe it's just another funky Seagate thing?

Any help interpreting these numbers in plain English, if it's possible, would be appreciated.

Also, in HD Tune I was getting an I/O error when doing a file benchmark test, which I recall happening on previous Seagate drives. Should I be worried about that, especially for long transfer sessions?

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DiskCheckup.jpg (240.2 KB, 4 downloads)
File Type: jpg CrystalDiskInfo.jpg (132.0 KB, 3 downloads)
File Type: jpg HD Tune.jpg (148.8 KB, 3 downloads)
07-03-2021, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Can't find the threads, but there's a recent thread that talks about how what SMART reports from other programs other than CrystalDiskInfo when run on Seagate drives is sometimes funky. As I think I stated above, CrystalDiskInfo is highly regarded and should be enough to verify SMART status.

There's two threads by the poster where he/she says the drive passes the WD Diagnostics Short Test, but is stuck at 90% on the long test. No sure if the poster is letting the test run it's full course or prematurely ending the test because it seems it's stuck. Point is, this is why taking the time to run a full write test is invaluable. You may never hit the 90% full mark, but write/read failure at any point may be indication of future issues.

Edit: Here's one of the threads. I think the OP deleted the first one: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...t_stuck_at_90/

Here's the other thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...tore_2tb_do_i/

Last edited by lingyi; 07-03-2021 at 09:43 PM.
07-05-2021, 05:57 PM
Premium Member

Note that the test failure may be due to the USB interface, USB/SATA cable or power supply. The only way to verify this is to swap out the parts.
07-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Free Member

Thanks, lingyi. From what I've read elsewhere, it seems as long as Reallocated Sector Count and Pending Sector Count are ok, the drive should be fine. Also read that, as far as Seagate math goes, as long as the Raw Read Error rate isn't above 8 figures, you're also good.

I've done a complete stress test now (full write test), and all is good. So I'm feeling pretty confident. I just wish Seagate did regular math so I don't need to fall back on Algebra II. That class was too long ago!