Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Free Member

Hi, I tried a new modem on my comcast internet and still had the same problem. so i called comcast this morning and the lady told me that there was not a modem registered on my account and that was probably the problem. she said to call back this evening with the modem serial # etc and that would take care of the problem. i have had the modem and have been using it for over a year, and now comcast says it is not registered and that is the problem. what do ya'll think? lmk. thanks stoogedog
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-18-2008, 01:18 AM
Free Member

Well, it could be the problem. When I first started with Comcast, they required me to give them the MAC address of my modem. If I didn't give it to them, or changed the modem, I couldn't connect. Then, about a year ago, another friend signed on to Comcast, and it DIDN'T require the MAC address. Now it appears they're back to requiring it. Part of the reason I've moved from Comcast to Verizon (including TV), they don't seem to stay consistant with anything.

Another possibility (and more likely cause) is that they wiped out their authentication database, where they store all the MAC addresses who are registered - so you may find a few of your neighbors running into the same problem, if that's the case.
03-18-2008, 03:21 AM
Free Member

hi, thanks for the info. thought i might be getting the run around. hope to get my home computer back online tonight. thanks stoogedog