Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Having trouble figuring out how to turn off strike-through text in Outlook email? Here's the fix...

IMAP accounts can be great for email, with their ability to be used from anywhere -- similar to webmail (GMail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc), but without requiring a web browser. You can use clients on your iPad, your mobile phone, or with computer software like Mozilla Thunderbird (freeware).

A large number (a majority?) of businesses and professionals use Microsoft Outlook for email, and it's a great client for management multiple accounts -- both POP3 and IMAP (and at the same time!). It's been my email program of choice since 1998 or 1999. However, when you use IMAP in Outlook, deleted and moved emails don't actually delete or move right away.

And that's actually how IMAP works. Actions are not instant, but queued for the next sync with the IMAP server. Most software hides this queuing action from you, but Outlook does not. Outlook strikes through the email. For those of us who handle a large volume of email, it gets confusing to look at. When I delete an email, I want it gone! When I move it, I want it moved! Now -- not later!

To turn off this visible queuing action -- i.e., turn off the strikethroughs "feature" (annoyance) -- you need to follow these steps...

In Outlook 2007:
  1. Go to View > (as in File, Edit, View, ...)
  2. Current View >
  3. Hide Messages Marked for Deletion ... and that's it.
  4. ... and then re-add your viewing pane (see instructions below), which most people use.
In Outlook 2003:
  2. Arrange By >
  3. Current View >
  4. Hide Messages Marked for Deletion
  5. ... and then re-add your viewing pane (see instructions below), which most people use.
In the older Outlook 2000: ... for the five people still using it (seriously -- UPGRADE!)
  2. Current View >
  3. Hide Messages Marked for Deletion ... and that's it.
  4. ... and then re-add your viewing pane (see instructions below), which most people use.

outlook2003-imap-hide-strikethroughs.jpg

To Re-enable the Viewing Pane:
  1. Go to View >
  2. Reading Pane >
  3. and then select the pane you prefer; I'd suggest that bottom is easiest.
You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

And that's it.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors