Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Well I finally reinstalled my computer and installed virtualbox. Now that I have two fresh installs of windows xp on the computer at the same time I'm trying to figure out ways to transfer files back and forth between the two.
Using a virtual machine (VM) is a great way to protect yourself from malware and viruses. By running test software or potentially insecure software in an essentially "jailed" Windows system, your main system's OS is far less likely to be infected by crapware.

Browsing the web from within a VM is a great idea, too.

One of the benefits of such a setup is backup/restore is as easy as copying a file. Copy your virgin OS-only virtual machine hard drive file to a backup location. If the VM is compromised, then you simply shut it down, delete the VM HDD, copy the safe backup to the VM's HDD file location (with proper matching file name), and reboot. System is back.

You can make many incremental backups this way, too -- virgin OS install, OS + web browsing apps, OS + test apps, etc. You can make multiple VMs for different uses too. But instead of having to reinstall Windows over and over, just copy the virgin OS version into a new file, and upgrade it from there. I have VMs with just video software, VMs with just web software, etc.

To share files, network the systems as you would any two Windows boxes. Put them on the same network name, and share some folders -- very, very easy!

VMs are also a good place to hide things from the boss/wife/kids! Use a password-protected Windows install with encrypted NTFS file system. Good luck cracking that. NSA could probably get through, but a nosy boss/wife/kid are not getting very far. Not that I have anything to hide, but I've never been fond of people digging around my digital stuff.

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

If you're still having trouble networking the host Windows OS to the VM version of Windows, then re-read this blog on the Sun.com site:
http://blogs.sun.com/acworkma/entry/..._networking_in

While it was written in 2008, and comes with a disclaimer -- "Update: With the release of VirtualBox 2.1, these steps are no longer necessary." -- it appears that even recent VirtualBox + Windows XP installs may benefit from this method, when it fails.

As per email.

Quote:
Alright I was finally able to network the virtual box with my host computer. What I did is on this web page. I just had to bridge the virtual box with my lan. http://blogs.sun.com/acworkma/entry/..._networking_in

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!