15. XSLT?
17. SQL Server?
19. XML?
21. HTML?
25. Visual Source Safe?
27. ASP.NET?
29. ADO.NET?
35. WCF?
9. Visual Basic .NET, modern Microsoft (MS) language, VB based on .NET. I know what it is, but I have no desired to learn it. I played with VB about 15 years ago, and I avoid .NET (ASP.NET), preferring ASP or PHP for my web language needs.

11. SOA = another one of those damned pointless IT acronyms. "Search oriented architecture" is a fancy way of saying "can I make something that a search engine can read from?"

13. JS is what makes web pages do "extra stuff". From the fancy drop-down menus on this site, to the char-limiter on the contact form, it just adds custom functions beyond the basics. I think you can use JS outside the web, but I have no experience with it.

15. XSLT is a 4-letter word that causes me to use more four-letter words. I imagine the developer of XSLT was a sadist, and this was his answer to the question "How can I screw up CSS and make it even harder!?" My last employer wanted me to learn that, and I bluntly said "no" -- I used CSS and tabled HTML instead.

17. SQL database, MS proprietary version. I can use them with various applications (forums, wikis, etc), but I sure as hell cannot develop one. I do know my way around editing the db via the MS Enterprise Manager software. Used MS SQL since 2000, currently on 2005. Not to be confused with other SQL type dbs, such as mySQL, postegreSQL, etc. "SQL Server" always means the MS version (or should). You generally only use MS SQL with MS languages like VB.NET, ASP or ASP.NET

19. XML is a language being used for all kinds of software and web stuff now. I use XML for sitemaps, although I'll admit the apps (vBulletin, WordPress, etc) generate those for me. I can, however, edit them when needed. I'm good at the reverse-engineering thing, you know. It's mostly a web use language, and it can be described as a "set of rules" more than a language. It's really simple, more than HTML (although I'll admit I've seen some complicated XML stuff).

21. HTML is the code the web is based on. It provided for hypertext/links, tables, colors, fonts, images, etc. Basic stuff. Don't be like MS, though, understand there are "rules" to HTML, and that a well encoded site should be compliant to the web compliancy standards set up by W3C.

25. Visual Source Safe -- I had to wiki this one. All I saw was blah blah blah databases blah blah blah.

27. ASP.NET is like ASP 2.0. It takes the older MS ASP language from the NT IIS web days, and expands it. Another MS language. Must have IIS server to run it, and generally devs use MS SQL to power the data it collects/sends.

29. ADO.NET is part of ASP.NET, an expansion of ADO (access data objects / activeX data objects). It's how you control accessing data in the thing you've dev'd.

35. WCF. WTF? That's not really an acronym commonly use. Had to Wiki that one, too http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...ion_Foundation and it's some more Windows / .NET stuff. Brand new, too -- part of .NET 3.5 from 2008. All I read was blah blah blah blah blah. Some of these tech writers need to be slapped in the back of the head. I can't even understand the pretty picture.

All in all, I think I did pretty good.

For all the tech low-down, look those terms up on Wikipedia. Most of them probably have articles, if not all of them.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors