Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

You don't need gigabit. That increases speed between computers, but has no affect on Internet speeds. If you're not sharing large files between systems, it's not something you need.

G works.
N is farther and stronger than G.

A fridge and microwave won't affect wireless routers.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Premium Member

while shopping for wifi routers, I notice a lot of them come with an installation cd with a somewhat automatic setup wizard that helps one take them through the steps of setting up a router. If I use the setup wizards, while they automatically try to detect internet settings, & setting things up, will the router make any changes to the modem I am hooking it up to? or will the router auto adjust it's settings to work with the modem? I would like to avoid messing with the modem, if I have to do any configuring, I would like to do it to the wifi router first.
08-08-2010, 03:53 AM

Pretend it doesn't come with a CD. There's no need for anything on that disc.

08-08-2010, 04:54 AM
Premium Member

you mean I can just plug the router straight into the modem & to the computer with my cat5e Ethernet cables without out any configuration? I dont need to configure or set up anything on the router? just plug it in & let it connect? what about to set up wifi security? why do they come with installation CDs if one does not need them? I thought everyone on here got through just telling me wifi is not like plug & play USB. Coming from the problems I had before with the apple router & how it was supposed to be so easy, I have not thought anything else could easy. I do remember reading somewhere that some people set up their routers through their IP address when typed into their browser.

If I use wifi, what type of security would work best on my Os & PC? it is running windows XP home service pack 2.

Last edited by Sossity; 08-08-2010 at 05:06 AM.
08-08-2010, 05:06 AM

Software companies pay hardware companies to put "free" (trial/limited) versions of software on the discs. They get you to install all sorts of anti-virus, firewall, etc -- and then you're harassed to upgrade to better versions, or to renew after the "trial" period of 3-12 months expires.

Some of them come with "monitoring" software, too, which serves no real purpose.

It's hardware that works without a computer. You can plug a router into the wall, and it's working automatically. There is no need for software on a computer. Windows already knows what to do when it sees a network -- it doesn't need extra software.

The only configuration you may need to do is purely done through your existing web browser. I open Firefox and log into 192.168.0.1 and there's my router. (It asks for username/password, because I set that up.) The instructions will give you an IP address and the default user/pass to log in. But in general, you don't even have to do that if you don't want to.

However, for wireless, you really should enable WEP or WPA security. Use an easy HEX string (HEX = A-F,0-9). Maybe ABC123ABC456 -- easy enough, yes? Then write it on a piece of paper in pen, tape it to the router so it doesn't come off, and you won't forget it. If you set a router user/pass, do the same. Write it down, tape to router. When Mac/Windows goes to connect to the router WIRELESSLY, it will see your wireless router, then prompt you for this HEX key. If you're wired, then there's no HEX password.

The instructions will explain this too, but in Engrish.

08-08-2010, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

So the router will not make any changes to the modem when I hook it up via the Ethernet cable?

I read about router CDs & most have an initial setup wizard that is supposed to make initial setup easier, but I can just plug it in & if it connects, type in it's IP address to configure?

Upon hooking up modem, router, to PC, what do I do if no connection is made? that was the problem with the apple router, I got a signal, but I could not go into the airport utility to configure it, & I did not know what it's IP address was to configure.

What level of wifi security should I use? WEP or WPA? I am using windows XP home edition service pack 2. So to set up wifi I would just go to the router's IP address?
08-09-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
So the router will not make any changes to the modem when I hook it up via the Ethernet cable?
No. Impossible.

Quote:
supposed to make initial setup easier
I don't see how running software is easier than not needing software.

Quote:
but I can just plug it in & if it connects, type in it's IP address to configure?
It will. There is no if.
Remember to unplug/start everything in the order from the first page of this thread. The only reason it would not connect is if you turned something on in the wrong order.

Quote:
What level of wifi security should I use? WEP or WPA?
Yeah, one of those. It doesn't matter, just use one.

Quote:
So to set up wifi I would just go to the router's IP address?
In a web browser. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.

08-10-2010, 01:21 AM
Premium Member

I found this router on ebay; http://cgi.ebay.com/NETGEAR-WNR2000-...48113808831804

Is this a good one? is it a good deal?
08-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
I would just buy a new or refurbished one from Amazon.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs