Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Preface

I recently wrote a press release for a client, and sent him both the Word doc and the PDF made from it. (Due to the amount of Word macro viruses that are still in the wild, it's wise to send releases as PDFs, too. Just attach both to the email. Let the recipient choose which he feels more comfortable opening!) Anyway, a small change was needed. He obviously could do the Word .doc file update himself. Who doesn't have Word? (Or the freeware alternative OpenOffice?) But he doesn't have Acrobat. He sent an email, asking what to do.

Acrobat? (NO!)

Well, I don't use Acrobat either!

While I own the Adobe Master Collection, both CS3 and CS4, both of which come with Acrobat, I choose not to install it. Acrobat is bloated, slow, and has many known issues that screw up PDF functionality computer-wide. I don't have time for that! While Adobe makes a lot of great software (Photoshop, Premiere, InDesign), this isn't one of them.

Use Foxit Reader and CutePDF Writer (Freeware!)

For reading PDFs, I use Foxit. It's freeware. It advertises itself as a "NO BLOAT PDF Reader - Small download, fast, accurate rendering."
And that's very true! Download your free copy from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/
It works beautifully with the Firefox and Chrome browsers, too, rendering PDFs perfectly.
Already have Acrobat? No problem. Uninstall it. Use Foxit instead!

For writing PDFs, I use CutePDF. It's freeware. They proudly state that "creating a PDF with this free software couldn't be easier."
Again, it's very true! Download your free copy from http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/Writer.asp

The only thing I really cannot do is edit a PDF. But then again, why should you? Can you edit a piece of paper? No. I still have the Word document. I can make the change there, and then re-print the PDF. Don't treat a PDF like it's just another document that can be opened, changed and re-saved. Treat it like a piece of paper. On the rare chance I need to edit, I do have Acrobat full edition installed on one of the computers.

INSTALL WARNING: A lot of freeware comes with "garbage payloads" these days. So don't just mindlessly click NEXT, NEXT, NEXT, OK to install. You might find your homepage changed, weird toolbars in your web browsers, and a desktop full of new icons to crapware now on your computer. Uh-oh! Read what's going on here. You may need to uncheck a bunch of boxes, to avoid adding this or changing that. You just want the software, not the extra freebie junk. Yes, I know freeware needs to support itself, but bombing a user computer is simply something I take issue with. They can solicit donations, just like this site does for our information. (Hint, hint: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/donate.htm to any readers that find information on this site useful!)

Using CutePDF Writer

Adobe Acrobat spoiled many users with a "save as" or "export to PDF" menu option. Some versions of Word, for example, would gain new export buttons and menu comments, when Acrobat full edition was installed. However, that distorted the true nature of what a PDF is.

A PDF is a virtual piece of paper. Instead of printing paper from a printer, it prints to a file -- the PDF.
PDF = portable document format.
Most PDF software treats a PDF as the virtual paper it is, not some "export" format.
To print a PDF file, you simply do the same thing as you would for real paper: File > Print.
Pick your printer. In this case, it's the PDF writer from CutePDF.
Then you're asked for a file name. Type it in, click OK.
Done. The file is printed.

Easy, easy, easy.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-27-2010, 06:16 AM
Invalid Email / Banned / Spammer

http://www.pdfonline.com/convert-pdf/ use this url. Follow the procedure. If you post a word document it will convert you to pdf file. I have tried it. It works
08-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbond View Post
use this url. Follow the procedure. If you post a word document it will convert you to pdf file. I have tried it. It works
While that site probably does work, why would anybody want to send their private documents to an unknown site? How do you know you can trust some random place online with your personal or business data?

The site is owned by BCL, a private data mining and research company: http://www.pdfonline.com/corporate

Let's repeat that: DATA MINING and RESEARCH.

In fact, reading through the long-winded page of legalese at http://www.pdfonline.com/popups/terms.htm it pretty much states in the PRIVACY section that they'll share your documents at their own discretion. On the other hand, my attitude is "over my dead body" and even a subpoena won't make me necessarily budge if I believe it's trampling my First Amendment rights. I don't trust my documents with a company that claims to not save or monitor content, yet somehow magically can use "discretion" on said unsaved/unseen documents.

Well, no thanks. ONLINE CONVERTERS ARE NOT A GOOD IDEA!

Install the local software. It's free, it's easy, it's safe, it's private.

But thanks for your input, all the same.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!