digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Powerline Ethernet adapters to network computers in older home (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/2341-powerline-ethernet-adapters.html)

Sossity 08-01-2010 12:50 AM

Powerline Ethernet adapters to network computers in older home

If anybody on this forum has heard of these, I am thinking of trying this solution, as I have tried wifi & it did not work, too many settings,codes & configurations that are difficult to figure out.

Right now, I am in a 55 or older home, some parts of it have been rewired. I have read many good reviews about power line Ethernet adapters, but I am not sure if they would work in my situation.

Now, there is a 7 year old Dell PC in our kitchen with AT & T DSL service, AT & T provided a modem router, specifically the speedstrem 5100, but it has only one Ethernet port, the other outlet is for the phone or DSL line. I tried to set up an apple airport extreme with it & it did not work. I was told to put the speedstrem in bridge mode, & I lost all internet connectivity. I had to call AT & T tech support to reset the speedstream & get connectivity back.

This was a horrible experience, our family had a huge fight over it, & my father got very angry with me, so I do not want to go through it again. So I was prepared to hard wire everything, even if it meant running Ethernet cables all over the house from the PC with the modem router in the kitchen to connect to my macbook pro in another room.

I would prefer something that is very simple, with no software to install or configure. I dont want to have to change the speedstream modem settings at all. I would rather everything to be just a matter of plugging & unplugging something, & the ability to easily go back to my original set up if something does not work. I dont have the time or the technical knowledge to set up complicated settings for a network.

that is why the powerlines appealed to me, they offer a hardware solution without so many cables running everywhere.

but I am concerned about interference, especially in the kitchen, (with the fridge, microwave, & telephone) & reliability, because other people in my home use the computer in the kitchen, & I cant screw up the internet connection. I notice when the fridge turns on in a new power cycle, the lights dim briefly in an adjacent room.

AT & T seems very tricky to network, when I called them, they told me no other name brand routers are compatible with their service, & they had an AT & T branded 2 wire router, & it would be the only thing that would work. Well I went online to look up the model their support rep told me on the phone, & it had alot of negative reviews on amazon. It was a notoriously bad router, that was hard to configure & did not last.

I want to be able to use the internet in another room on my macbook, I am taking online classes, & it is distracting with people coming in & out of the kitchen.

admin 08-01-2010 03:41 AM

These things are junk. They don't work. I tried all of them last summer and fall. The signals dip and disappears, even in homes/offices with new wiring that exceeds normal specs. In the home you've described, you'll have nothing but problems. I ended up climbing in the attic and just running new wires to the room needing additional access. I also had to add a new router with more available ports.

2wire routers are also notorious junk that is foisted on customers by ISPs. No tech in his right mind would use a 2wire. They're not awful for a modem, but miserable as routers.

WARNING: You have found one of my pet peeves! = Stupid things ISPs tell customers.
As such, I will come across as far more aggressive as I normally would. Now then...

AT&T is lying to you. ISPs seem to hire morons.
Quote:

AT & T seems very tricky to network, when I called them, they told me no other name brand routers are compatible with their service
That statement is so ridiculous. Imagine if Ford told you could only drink Coca-Cola in your new car -- Pepsi and Dr. Pepper would not work.

The downstream router has no bearing on the function of the AT&T modem any more than your choice of beverage affects the car.

Charter tries to give me the same BS all the time. They are fools. It's nothing more than an attempt to avoid troubleshooting the zillions of routers that exist out there. However, rather than say "we do not support anything other than ____ brand router," they chose to lie.

-- ASIDE: There was a similar discussion some months ago, where a video conversion service was claiming that video quality "cannot be corrected". Well, that's obvious BS, too. It's the same type of misinformation. --

A standard network looks like this:
  • Inbound signal
    • > Modem (or integrated modem+router). For a cable connection, the modem handles the DHCP* handshake. For DSL or the newer fiber services, the modem handles the login and stay-alive. This is where the ISP ends, sort of. Now here's where it gets hard for most people to understand...
      • > The next device in the chain is "married" to the modem. The MAC** address of this device is given to the ISP, so that the modem may draw an IP*** address for your connection. This device can be your computer, another router, a switch ... your toaster. (Okay, maybe not a toaster! Although I have seen refrigerators with built-in net access!) The ISP cannot tell you that this device is not supported. This device is past their sphere of influence, excluding the MAC of the device, which issues the ISP IP. Let's assume the device you have added is a router.
        • > The MAC of the router**** connects to the modem, which marries it and then requests and receives the ISP IP, and then your router now has internet access that it can issue out to the computers connected to the router. If it's a wireless router, then you'll have wireless access. The router issues its own IP addresses to what is essentially a sub-network. A LAN, or local area network. (The ISP is the WAN, or wide-area network.)
          • > The computer pulls an IP from the router (if the computer is configured to use a DHCP connection, as is default in Windows and Mac), and then it is connected to the LAN. The LAN is connected to the WAN. Therefore the computer has WAN/internet access. All of the computers on the LAN have access to the WAN. (Unless the router has been set to firewall/disallow a certain computer by MAC, or a range of IPs used by that computer.)

The only caveat is that you might need to log into the modem, and disable the built-in router, so that your new downstream router handshakes/marries the modem. While most modems will still work fine with the integrated router enabled, some will not.

Note that AT&T may choose to lie to you here, too, saying that you cannot log into the modem. That's BS. You login to modems and routers by way of a local IP address typed into a web browser. Most of them using a standard 192.168.0.1 address. (You can change the address too, to avoid sniffing bots that may try to hack your connection. For example, making it 192.168.129.1) Login details are usually found in instruction manuals, or you can look this info up on Google real easy, with your model information, plus the search keywords "IP login address default username password"
NOTES:
* DHCP is a method used to auto-configure a device with an IP, when the DHCP device senses available IPs from a connected external device.
** Media Access Control address. This has nothing to do with Apple computers.
*** IP address is the number assigned to your connection. For example, 173.194.33.104. You can't be online without an internet protocol (IP) address.
**** If you get a wireless G router, then you'll have a pretty decent wireless signal throughout the house (for an average sized home). If you need more coverage, you'll need both an N router and an N network card in the laptop. Some newer laptops have integrated N while others will have the older G. Many laptops can have N network cards added, by way of the expansion ports, be it PCMCIA slot (PC card), ExpressCard slot, or even using a USB2 N stick.

When my ISP tells me that something cannot be done (and I know they are wrong/lying), I get rude. I pay too much money for service to deal with some Sally Stupid on the other end of the phone. I tell them they're full of crap, and to please put an intelligent tech on the phone. I don't care if the person is offended. They are not qualified to be a tech. Quit, find another job.

I've had an ISP tell me something as silly as "you can only use Internet Explorer with our internet service." Clearly that person is an idiot that should not be listened to. I often go one further, calling their corporate and reporting stupid techs.

Installing a new router is easy.
1. Unplug power from modem, turn off all computers. Leave it that way for about 10 minutes.
2. Plug in new router. The modem is now wired to the new router, and the computers are now wired into the router. No computers in the integrated modem+router.
3. Plug in modem. Wait maybe 3 minutes. Watch all lights go green/whatever, and usually NOT blinking after connection is established.
4. Plug in router. Wait maybe 2 minutes. Watch lights as the router will "find" some things.
5. Turn on one computer. See if you're connected.

If not, call AT&T. Tell them you need them to flush/reset the MAC address cache for your connection. If you get another idiot on the phone, escalate the call to a higher level tech.

Feel free to lie to the tech, and tell him/her that you added a new computer, and it's not connected to the internet like the old one. If the person tries to blame the computer, which is likely, insist he/she checks the connection first. Inform the tech that you've already turned off the modem, waited 5 minutes, and turned it back on. If it's a computer with the connection issue, they are obligated to help. If it's a router, Chicken Little will scream that the sky is falling, and they insist they cannot help, that routers are the spawn of Satan, and the interwebs only works on compooters. ... Even though the modem/ISP sees nothing more than MAC from either device. (At least in this frame of reference.)

Hopefully it won't get this far. It will just be live once the wiring is done correctly, and all the gear is turned on in the right sequence, with adequate delays between them (as noted).

I know this is very complicated. You just a crash course in Internet connections. IP 101. :)

admin 08-01-2010 03:58 AM

Since you gave the model of modem, I took a few minutes to look up the info for you. This is what I found:
username = admin
password = admin
IP = 192.168.1.0 or 192.168.254.254
Refer to your 5100 manual, if you have one.

What I'm about to explain to you is also laid out pretty well at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11827?...23283824521575

What you'll want to do is pre-alter the modem, before plugging it into a live network with the ISP. You may need to change the default IP of the router, because it can conflict with the default of the modem. They have to use different IP addresses/numbers.

"May" means that you might OR MIGHT NOT need to do this. See if the numbers match. No reason to waste your time if the numbers are already different.

If required, you'll do this by turning off a computer, unplugging the internet access. Power up router, plug it into computer (CAT5/CAT5e/CAT6 cable), and then turn on computer. Log into the router's default IP. Again, most use 192.168.0.1, but defer to your router paperwork. Find the place in the router where you can change the IP. Make it something simple that you'll remember. AND WRITE IT DOWN IN THE MANUAL! I suggest 192.169.100.1 for this.

Okay, that's changed.
Turn off computer, unplug power + CAT cable of router.

Plug into modem again.
Turn on computer.
Login into modem. Disable integrated router, if the option exist.

Now run through the full setup in the last post.

Your problem was using bridged mode. That's a problem waiting to happen. I've never had luck with bridging two routers, either. I used to slave a wireless from a wired router, before replacing everything last year.

While I linked to a page that discusses a D-link router, you can buy whatever you want. I use a Frys G wireless, as well as a Netgear G wireless.

That took quite a bit of writing. If you weren't a Premium Member, I'd have never written that much! :)

If this has helped in any way, especially if I helped save you some $$, remember the cause! http://www.digitalfaq.com/donate.htm

Thanks. :)

Sossity 08-01-2010 06:05 AM

First off, thanks a bunch for your detailed explanation, it still is quite confusing for me, & I am reluctant to make any changes to the modem, as the main kitchen computer & DSL service is not mine but my mother's, so I dont think I will risk making a mistake like that again.

If I go wireless, I think it might be simpler if I just got a whole new router & replace the speedstream with it, rather than getting into settings I dont understand.

I found this on amazon, http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-GT72...pr_product_top & it stood out because alot of the reviewers said it was compatible with AT & T.

another option I am leaning towards now,( especially after what you said about the power line adapters, I was seriously considering buying those, but I definitely do not want problems) is just hard wiring everything, with some cat5e ethernet cable from this Ethernet port expander which is what I just got; http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-FS105N...=pd_cp_e_3_map and attaching it to the speedstream, adding more ports, & wiring my macbook pro to it, & running wire to different rooms.

before you advised against the powerline adapters, I was looking at these; http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Mega.../dp/B000QGBC8C but I was a little skeptical & thought I would ask someone who might be knowledgeable. That makes sense that they might not be that good, I was reading up about them, & the site I read said that they were a lesser known technology in the US, & more popular in Europe because of the brick housing there. It's odd, it seems these have been around a while & not that well known in the states according to this site; http://www.pcworld.com/article/13809..._rewiring.html

Again, I appreciate you in depth reply, but I think I would be better off just completely replacing the speedstream or expanding it's ports, & doing a hard wire, rather than tinker with settings that are confusing to me. If this were my own, I would be more willing to risk it & experiment, but as it is not mine & stable reliable internet access is crucial for my whole family, my mother & I do not drive, & we live in a somewhat isolated neighborhood so we rely more heavily on the internet than an average person, & I am taking online classes.

lordsmurf 08-02-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

I am reluctant to make any changes to the modem
As I tell people often -- it won't catch fire if you make a mistake. :)
You can easily change the setting back again. If you can use email, and browser a website, you can do this with no problems. It just sounds scary. It's not.

Quote:

I think it might be simpler if I just got a whole new router & replace the speedstream with it
The speedstream is a modem, not a router.
The speedstream might have a router in it, but it's still a modem.
The router functionality would be "in addition to" the core modem purpose.

Are you sure this modem even has a built-in router? If it does not have wireless, and it does not have more than one outlet for networking cabling, then it's not a router.

You still need a router behind a switch to issue IP addresses to the LAN. Think of a switch as a "splitter". Think of a router as a "local area network controller". You can't make a LAN from a mere splitter. The split signals have no idea what they're doing without some direction from a controller further upstream. The ISP is not that upstream.

Beyond that, the switch you linked to is expensive for what little it does. It's $20. My G router was $20 from Fry's.
Online, you can get a good name brand G wireless router for $30: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B000BI1XNE
I'd value a plain old switch (non-Gigabit) at maybe $10.

Quote:

I think I would be better off just completely replacing the speedstream or expanding it's ports, & doing a hard wire, rather than tinker with settings that are confusing to me.
I don't. I think you'll end up having different problems, new problems. I'd look at a solving your issue with the above advice. Trying to side-step it is not going to end happily.

It only seems confusing when it's written in detail. It's like being a kid and told "you're going to the doctor to get a shot". OH MY! A SHOT! But after it's done, you sit and think to yourself, "that's all?" ...... This is no different, really.

Good luck. :)

Sossity 08-02-2010 03:41 AM

I cannot risk doing anything like I did before I nearly came to blows with my father over my last mistake, I absolutely cannot make any more mistakes, my parents will kick me out of the house. All I want to do is be able to use the internet in another room with another computer, maybe I should just subscribe to my own internet service, wifi is too complicated for me.

So a switch will not work with the modem? so the only solution is a complicated wifi router? so what everybody is saying is the only possible solution is a wifi router? I do not understand them or the settings. I cannot figure out how to piggyback the speedstream modem to them. Wif is also difficult because the older computer with the AT & T DSL service is is not wifi equipped, so I am faced with fiddling with adapter & it's settings.

are there any inexpensive basic internet services I can subscribe too? one where I could pay as I go or make a yearly payment?

admin 08-02-2010 05:08 AM

Adding requires change. Replacing requires change. If you can't change, then I don't know what to tell you. The internet is not plug-and-play like a USB device.

I only know about the internet options where I live and work. Everywhere is different.

Wireless routers still have wired ports. You add wireless, you don't replace wired connections. Any machine that need to receive wireless must have a wireless card added, if it doesn't have one already. Many (most?) laptops have had integrated wireless for years now.

Sossity 08-02-2010 09:22 PM

I went to another website called DSL reports, & it seems that the modem is made to work with only one computer at a time. They told me to put it in bridge mode, I have done this & lost all connectivity, as on here I was told bridge mode is trouble. this is their responses;

Quote:

Sossity

join:2010-08-02

[Windows] having trouble making a network with sppedstream 5100

I am in a dilemma, I would like to be able to use the internet in another room on my macbook pro laptop.

The situation is; an older PC in the kitchen, with no wifi built in. It is a 7 year old dell dimension with windows XP home service pack 2. Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB of RAM.

It has AT & T DSL service with a speed stream 5100 modem. I have tried unsuccessfully to hook the router up to an apple airport extreme router, was told to put the speed stream in bridge mode, I lost all connectivity to the internet in the end, had to call AT & T support to walk me through a reset. When I hooked the 2 up, I got some wifi, but I could not get into the apple airport utility to configure the airport.

AT & T told me none of the wifi routers currently on the market are compatible with the modem, & that the only one that is is their 2wire modem.

So I recently thought I would go a simpler route & go with a wired network. I bought a netgear 5 port ethernet switch, with the idea of plugging in the speed stream modem & kitchen PC into it, & them my mac in another room with Ethernet cables. With the netgear expanding on the speedstrem 5100 single ethernet port. But someone told me this will not work because the modem is not a router, that if it has only 1 single Ethernet port it is not a router.

I am losing my marbles one by one, is this modem capable of expanding on with a network? or is it made to be just locked into one computer only?

or am I stuck in the kitchen indefinitely when I want to use the internet?

I wanted to be in another room because I take online classes & the kitchen gets distracting, I would like to be in a quieter room.

are there any routers or anything that are compatible with my setup? I need something simple & easy to setup, I no next to nothing about networking, the settings are very complicated & confusing. Being that the computer in the kitchen is not mine, I cannot afford to risk losing internet connectivity.

if it is not possible to network with a speedstream modem, is there a low cost internet service I can subscribe to myself?
to forum · permalink · [Encourage,Ignore,Watch] · hey mods · [Send instant message] · 2010-08-02 05:36:07 · Reply to this · Quick reply to this · Print · Edit

Quote:

shdesigns