Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
09-08-2010, 05:55 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gismo694me
I bought myself an eeepc 1005p netbook because I wanted to get into computers(all new to me). Since buying it I LOVE this new world and am really getting into it. What I want to know is I am thinking of updating my netbook from 1gb RAM with a 2gb ram. Increasing it to 3gb ram. Do you think this is a good idea? will it speed up my system heaps? I would buy a desktop but finances don't allow for that just yet.
Here's to hearing from you,
Cheers.
Computers bottleneck at 3 major points: RAM, CPU and hard drive speed.

Video encoding, for example, is mostly an issue of CPU and hard drive. More RAM makes almost no difference in this area.

Photo editing, on the other hand, is very heavy on RAM, and hard drive can be important for certain apps that generate thumbnails. The CPU isn't the most important resource.

So it really goes back to what you want to do. What do you want to do on the netbook?

Continue here, if you could, instead of PMs/emails. I'll get an email notification when you reply to posts I make here.
Just register for free, and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks.

This question was asked in a private message. Rather than hide our tech advice in private conversations, Site Staff will often answer PMs (from any site) here in the digitalFAQ.com forum, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors