Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
I have been having horrible problems with my PC and graphics card wanting to shrink my 21.5" monitor resolution so that only a 4:3 portion of the monitor is used. Finally, it dawned on me that my desktop photo is small and occupies only the center of the screen. When I changed the photo to a widescreen photo, the problem disappeared! My monitor now is in 1920X1080 mode and my Samsung SyncMaster is recognized as the monitor type.

Sometimes, when I leave the KVM on the XP PC for a while, then go back to the W7 PC, the smaller screen is shown, but I can easily changed the display back to 1920X1080 by pressing the DETECT button, and letting the program detect the wide monitor.

I wish the XP PC could display in 1920X1080, but I don't think it can.
Let me reply in pieces...

Quote:
I have been having horrible problems with my PC and graphics card wanting to shrink my 21.5" monitor resolution so that only a 4:3 portion of the monitor is used. Finally, it dawned on me that my desktop photo is small and occupies only the center of the screen. When I changed the photo to a widescreen photo, the problem disappeared! My monitor now is in 1920X1080 mode and my Samsung SyncMaster is recognized as the monitor type.
Interesting.

Quote:
Sometimes, when I leave the KVM on the XP PC for a while, then go back to the W7 PC, the smaller screen is shown, but I can easily changed the display back to 1920X1080 by pressing the DETECT button, and letting the program detect the wide monitor.
Did you install the KVM software? It often helps with this.

Quote:
I wish the XP PC could display in 1920X1080, but I don't think it can.
What video card?
I actually used 1650x1080, and it has no issues at that size. It may be something as simple as using updated graphics drivers. That's your ATI system, yes? Which card is that again?

This question was asked via email. Site Staff no longer answer tech questions via email, so that others may read and benefit from our expertise. Please continue the conversation here. Either login or join as a Free Member, and we can continue troubleshooting your video, photo or web related issue. Thanks for understanding our tech Q&A policies.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

Windows 7 HP graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4350. I've updated software from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ostype=Windows 7 - 64-Bit Edition

Also download Samsung 2233SW SyncMaster monitor driver from http://www.samsung.com/us/support/su...dl_name=2233SW

I already have the KVM software in both PCs (the other PC being an HP XP). When everything is working right, the HP W7 Resolution shows Display as 1.SyncMaster; and Resolution as 1920X1080 (recommended). You don't say, computer???!!!
04-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Samsung SyncMaster
Is that an LCD screen?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Yes, it's an LCD screen, according to p1 of user manual.
04-03-2011, 01:03 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm stumped.

I have the same KVM at two workstations. The computers at LAN#1 all set the proper resolution just fine. The computers at LAN#2 will forget the resolution if the computer is started before the KVM is set to that system. The only real difference between #1 and #2 is the LCD is different. The monitor with the problem is an Acer.

I don't much care for Samsung LCDs anymore. Their CRTs were excellent, but their LCDs seem to subscribe to the concept of "burn your eyeballs out of head" levels of brightness and white balance. I'd get headaches. Too many monitors are like that, mostly the "big name brands" like Dell and HP. Just miserable to use for long periods of time. (The Acer I have is a similar "cheap monitor" but without the eye-killing levels.)

I think it's just a stupid monitor.

My best guess, based on my own experiences.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
04-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

After 3 days of the HP Compaq XP PC NOT wanting to move to 1920X1080 resolution, I tried it again, and this time it acquiesced! I really like this resolution best of all, because of the way the icons and various programs display.

04-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
You forgot to attach the image.

Read: How to Upload/View/Download Images+Attachments
Try again, my friend.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-06-2011, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Both PC screens 1920X1080.jpg Here (I hope...) are the images of both PCs with 1920X1080 resolution properly displayed.