Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Free Member

Well, the seller is top rated with over 1000 feedback, and it's brand new, never opened in the box....

but, could I just buy the XBOX wireless adapter, and use that with the Router that I currently have? Or would I have to buy the Netgear WNR3500 AND the Xbox adapter?
The following users thank Superstar for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-21-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Free Member

Is the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router
that you suggested, the same one as the
Netgear - RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router

If it's not the same one, what's the difference between the two?
01-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Well, the seller is top rated with over 1000 feedback, and it's brand new, never opened in the box....
Well, maybe it will be fine. I just know what my preference is when it comes to certain things. There's been far to many shady people selling on eBay in past years -- and sometimes "new" isn't really new. It all comes back to trust, or lack thereof.

Quote:
could I just buy the XBOX wireless adapter, and use that with the Router that I currently have?
Possibly, if your current adapter is the issue and not the router.

Quote:
Or would I have to buy the Netgear WNR3500 AND the Xbox adapter?
To get the "N" speed, you'd need both. An "N" router, however, still operates fine at B and G speeds. And if you upgrade devices/adapters later, you're already set with the right router.

Quote:
Is the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router that you suggested, the same one as the Netgear - RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router
According to what I just saw online, yes it is the same.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-21-2011)
01-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Free Member

I actually don't have an xbox adapter, I never heard of it until you posted the link for it yesterday.'

I've been using the same router for about 1.5 yrs now and never had a problem until about 2 weeks ago, now I lag a lot during my online games (against other ppl on xbox live)

As I said earlier, my current router isn't on the list of compatible hardware, however it's worked for the 1.5 yrs until a few weeks ago. It still works, but lags sometimes.

What's weird is, my internet connection never lags or anything like that, it's just the xbox (they're connected to the same router)

That's why I was hoping I could get just the xbox n adapter, and use it with the current router that I have, so I don't have to buy both, that's be like $160 to buy both.
01-26-2011, 02:57 AM
Free Member

I went ahead and ordered that Rangemax WNR3500 N Router that you suggested. It should be here either tomorrow or Thursday.

Is there anything special that I have to do when I get it, to set it up?

I bought my current router almost 2 yrs ago, and unfortunately I can't remember what I did to set it up. I keep thinking I just plugged it in, and started using it, but I'm sure that's wrong.

I'm guessing there's an installation CD that I'll have to put into all 3 of my computers that it's going to be on?

Would I have to do that for my Xbox as well? I'm going to buy the Xbox Wireless N Adapter for it also.

The reason I'm worried about this is because as you know, one of the computers that will be going on the router is the laptop, and when I called into Xbox the 1st of 3 times that I called them, I happened to tell the guy that I was getting a laptop anyday in the mail, and he had me go onto the D-Link website and log in with a username and pw (I honestly didn't even remember setting this up on their website, I just guessed the username and pw and happened to get it right) and he had me type in some things to set up my wireless netword for my laptop, and that was done and set up a few days before I even had the laptop.

So, I'm really worried about having to do this again because I'll have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the wireless network for the laptop.

I'm guessing the 2 desktop computers will be easy to set up (even though I've never had a wireless router, I currently have them both plugged into the router that I now have) but I'm really worried about the laptop.
The following users thank Superstar for this useful post: mlongue1 (01-26-2011)
01-31-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Is there anything special that I have to do when I get it, to set it up?
Yes -- setup the wireless encryption (password), either WPA or WEP.
Read the manual for this.

Quote:
I keep thinking I just plugged it in, and started using it
Most times, it really is this easy. You don't technically have to encrypt the wireless, but it's the smart thing to do. Some routers also come with wireless disabled by default -- you have to enable it. I forget what Netgear does, and it may vary from model to model anyway.

Quote:
I'm guessing there's an installation CD that I'll have to put into all 3 of my computers that it's going to be on?
Nope, no reason for this. Windows XP SP2 and above includes Microsoft's own management tool for wireless. (Same for Mac OS X, for Mac users.) Any software that does come with the router is probably crap you don't need. Lots of hardware comes with software, but it's often unnecessary -- sometimes outright terrible.

Quote:
and he had me go onto the D-Link website and log in with a username and pw (I honestly didn't even remember setting this up on their website, I just guessed the username and pw and happened to get it right) and he had me type in some things to set up my wireless netword for my laptop, and that was done and set up a few days before I even had the laptop.
On most routers, you can jam a bent-back paperclip into a small hole for 5 seconds, and it resets the username/password to the factory default. Sometimes this is printed in the book, and then you can often refer to the official manufacturer's site -- or even search Google for "default router password _____ (brand name and model)" -- with it likely pulling up a forum post from dslreports.com. I've done this a few times in the past, when I got a used router or had to repair a network for somebody else that didn't know their username/password to access the router.

Quote:
I'm guessing the 2 desktop computers will be easy to set up (even though I've never had a wireless router, I currently have them both plugged into the router that I now have) but I'm really worried about the laptop
Wireless routers still have wire slots.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-01-2011)
02-25-2011, 07:24 PM
Free Member

You should also consider using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VWY0VY

I just found out about it today. It gives better-than-wireless internet connectivity going through regular electrical outlets in your home.
The following users thank Kenneth M for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-26-2011)
02-25-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth M View Post
You should also consider using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VWY0VY
I just found out about it today. It gives better-than-wireless internet connectivity going through regular electrical outlets in your home.
You don't want one of these. They work horribly.
I wrote about it this thread: Powerline Ethernet adapters to network computers in older home

To quote myself:
Quote:
These things are junk. They don't work. I tried all of them last summer and fall. The signals dip and disappears, even in homes/offices with new wiring that exceeds normal specs. ... I ended up climbing in the attic and just running new wires to the room needing additional access. I also had to add a new router with more available ports.
Save yourself the time and effort.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-25-2011)
02-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Free Member

Very interesting!

I have already bought these Western Digital boxes and am going to connect them in my 13 year old home. The modem will be upstairs, the computer that the signal needs to hit is downstairs.

I am now very curious as to how well these will work! I will report on them in a few weeks once I get my wife's computer up and running and connected to the internet via Powerline.
The following users thank Kenneth M for this useful post: mlongue1 (02-26-2011)