digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Best Router for various things - XBOX 360, laptops, desktop computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/2810-best-router-xbox.html)

Superstar 01-17-2011 10:46 PM

Best Router for various things - XBOX 360, laptops, desktop computers

My router that I use has 3 computers on it (2 desktops and 1 laptop) as well as my xbox 360, which I use for online playing. My game that I play on 360 the most has been lagging a lot the last few weeks when I'm in online play. I called xbox twice, and they tried two different things, but it's still happening very frequently. I also called my ISP, and they tested the modem on their end and there's no problems with that.
So, by process of elimination, I'm guessing that the router is the problem. I've had it for about 1.5 yrs or so, and it's been good until recently as I said, so I'm assuming it's time to replace it.
I was told by one of the guys that I talked to when I called xbox that the Linksys e2000 and e3000 was about the best one that I could get for the things that I said above that I need from the router.
Would you agree? If not, what one would you suggest for me?

admin 01-18-2011 04:45 AM

You didn't finish the process of elimination -- you didn't eliminate the XBOX itself.
How does the XBOX behave when it's directly plugged into the internet connection? No router.

Quote:

I also called my ISP, and they tested the modem on their end and there's no problems with that.
This also means nothing.
Read this related post: Charter Cable Internet going slow? Here's the fix! (No need to change ISP!)

I'm of the opinion that most ISP techs are inept. Or worse, tend to lie. You simply cannot trust their flimsy assurances that the connection is "fine" or buy into their typical response that "your router is bad". You have to eliminate the incoming connection yourself.

I'd hate to see you waste money on an unnecessary router. :(

Superstar 01-18-2011 10:09 AM

I did plug it into the modem directly and it seemed to work good.
The guy I talked to from xbox told me that my router isnt really designed for gaming like that, and then he suggested the 2 linksys routers...

admin 01-18-2011 10:14 AM

What is the current brand/model of your router?

Superstar 01-18-2011 11:12 AM

D-Link, WBR-1310

Superstar 01-18-2011 08:15 PM

I just went to the XBOX site, and looked at their list of compatible routers for xbox live, and mine isn't even listed there. It's just weird that I've been using it for about 1.5 yrs, and never had a problem until about 1-2 weeks ago.
So, I guess I should look into buying another one. As I said, the guy from xbox recommended those 2 linksys ones, they both look kinda pricey, but if they're the best for what I need, I'll get one.
Do you think I should go with one of those, or can you suggest another good one?
Thanks

admin 01-18-2011 08:45 PM

Give me a day to look for you. :)

Superstar 01-18-2011 09:41 PM

Ok thanks. I saw Office Max actually has the Linksys E2000 on sale this week, kinda ironic. I guess it's normally like 100 but it's 70 or so this week.
So, let me know what you think, thanks :)

admin 01-19-2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstar (Post 14272)
I just went to the XBOX site, and looked at their list of compatible routers for xbox live, and mine isn't even listed there.

Give me a link to this list. :)

Superstar 01-19-2011 10:48 AM

http://support.xbox.com/en-us/Pages/...xbox-live.aspx

admin 01-19-2011 11:06 AM

I would get this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B00008SCFL
The Netgear WGR614 for $35 with free shipping.

Yes, there's a lot of bad reviews on Amazon, but looking over the actual comments being left, most of those people wouldn't know a router from a toaster. Note that at least half of the comments are good, while most of the bad ones would more likely be issues with the ISP, modem or computers/devices connected. In some cases, the bad review is complete nonsense. A number of them look to have been written by immature college kids, based on comments like "my roommate" and "my dorm" and tendency to use childish descriptions ("it sucks" -- wah!). Several more of the "my router died" comments are probably from not having it plugged into a UPS (best) or surge protector (better than directly into the wall outlet).

My current top preference is generally to Netgear for routers, D-Link for switches. The Cisco and Linksys products were excellent pre-wireless but I've lost confidence in their devices in the past 5 or so years -- lots of issues.

I do sometimes have other suggestions for good routers (example: Trendnet), but none are in that official MS XBOX list.

I use a Netgear wireless router here, thought I don't have an XBOX360. :)

Superstar 01-19-2011 12:15 PM

Why do you suggest this specific one? I did read the reviews, so I'm curious about it.
I can go get the linksys one today but I'd have to wait a few days to get this one in the mail.
So, do you think this one is the best one for what I'd need it for? I'd have 2 desktops, 1 laptop and the xbox connected to it, and I like to keep the computer online as I'm on the xbox.

Superstar 01-20-2011 12:38 PM

What do you think makes the Netgear one better than the Linksys e2000?
I've only had the one router that I have now, so I don't know much about them..

admin 01-20-2011 01:07 PM

It's my preference.
I've run into far too many issues with various Linksys routers in the past 5-6 years, but had no troubles from Netgear routers.

The Cisco Linksys E2000 is a wireless N router. Do you need N?

I'd much rather get the Netgear N router: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0019TBSBQ
It's $107 + free shipping, and no tax, but you get what you pay for, when it comes to wireless N routers.

Note that you'll need a XBOX wireless N adapter to get N range and speeds.
For example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002RS7NB2

If you want N, and you want spend less, then go ahead and get that Cisco/Linksys.
It's $70 + free shipping (no tax) at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003B20F54
Remember to calculate your tax costs, when comparing price to a local store like OfficeMax. Also consider their return policies (or lack thereof) when buying a router locally -- allowed time limit to return, any restocking fees, etc. Looking at the online sale ad, the Officemax is $70 + tax (probably $75+ in most places). So maybe not the best deal.

Superstar 01-20-2011 01:12 PM

Honestly, I don't know what "N" is. What is it?
Is that what the Netgear WGR614 is?

admin 01-20-2011 01:21 PM

"N" is the speed/range of the router.

Skipping the old/intermediate versions, you have three basic types of router.
  1. B - limited range, decent speed
  2. G - good range, good speed
  3. N - good range + stronger (go through brick walls, etc), better speed
Almost all of my laptops, desktops, devices, etc use G, so I use G routers. I'm not complaining. It's worked fine for a few years now. Even a lot of new devices still come with G -- like many (most?) laptops.

The XBOX 360's original wifi was a G, too. You have to upgrade to get N.

Netgear WGR614 is a "G" router.

Buy what you feel is best here -- any of them probably work okay, although it's always hard to say which one is "best" because of all the variables (ISP, the device, the router itself). I just know what my preferences would be, so I give them when asked. Realize this is also based off experiences in dealing with both my own setup and the setups of many others (online and offline) -- I'm not one of those keyboard warriors who has installed two routers and is now an expert. In my experience, it's the Netgear that proves to be "best" more often than a Linksys.

At some point, you have to take all the available information and advice, and make your own decision. I've never been a fan of making a decision for somebody -- especially since most people have a knee-jerk reaction of blaming others for their own decisions.

So if you think the Linksys is the best use of your funds, balanced with the speed router it buys, then go for it. [8~2]

It might be fine.

Superstar 01-20-2011 01:33 PM

Well, you know I always trust your instincts, the laptop, the AG-1980 VCR, all the DVD advice, so I'll take your advice on this one too and get the Netgear that you recommended.
I had to call XBOX for a 3rd time a few days ago because the lag was terrible, and the guy I talked to this time says he uses a Netgear WNR1000, and it works great for him. So, obviously NetGear works good for this too, so I'll buy the WGR614. I'll have to wait a few days for it to get here, however I do like that I'm saving like $35 or so over the Linksys e2000.

I've never heard of the XBOX wireless N adapter before. I just looked at the link you sent, do you think I could just buy that, and use it in conjunction with the router that I currently have? It works a lot of the time, but lags sometimes too, which is why I'm thinking of getting a new one. Or, would I need an "N" router to be able to use the XBOX N adapter?

I have another q actually. How do I charge a laptop battery? Ever since I got the laptop last week, I've just been plugging it in when I use it, and I tried to put the battery on 2 nights ago, for the first time, and it said something like, there's only 1% battery life left on it, and that shocked me. I remember in the item description for the laptop, it said something about how long the battery life can go, I think I said like, 3.5 hrs maybe? What can I do about that?

admin 01-20-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

I have another q actually. How do I charge a laptop battery? Ever since I got the laptop last week, I've just been plugging it in when I use it, and I tried to put the battery on 2 nights ago, for the first time, and it said something like, there's only 1% battery life left on it, and that shocked me. I remember in the item description for the laptop, it said something about how long the battery life can go, I think I said like, 3.5 hrs maybe? What can I do about that?
Could you start a new post for that? :)

Superstar 01-20-2011 01:52 PM

I found the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router on ebay, brand new, unopened for $79.90, do you think that's a good deal? I saw that you said you get what you pay for with N routers...what did you mean by that? Do you mean they're great buys or they can be iffy?

Or, could I just buy the XBOX wireless adapter, and use that with the Router that I currently have? Or would I have to buy the Netgear WNR3500 AND the Xbox adapter?

And yes, I started a new thread for the battery question.

admin 01-20-2011 01:57 PM

I would never buy a router from eBay.

Superstar 01-20-2011 02:08 PM

Well, the seller is top rated with over 1000 feedback, and it's brand new, never opened in the box....

but, could I just buy the XBOX wireless adapter, and use that with the Router that I currently have? Or would I have to buy the Netgear WNR3500 AND the Xbox adapter?

Superstar 01-21-2011 01:32 PM

Is the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router
that you suggested, the same one as the
Netgear - RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router

If it's not the same one, what's the difference between the two?

admin 01-21-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Well, the seller is top rated with over 1000 feedback, and it's brand new, never opened in the box....
Well, maybe it will be fine. I just know what my preference is when it comes to certain things. There's been far to many shady people selling on eBay in past years -- and sometimes "new" isn't really new. It all comes back to trust, or lack thereof.

Quote:

could I just buy the XBOX wireless adapter, and use that with the Router that I currently have?
Possibly, if your current adapter is the issue and not the router.

Quote:

Or would I have to buy the Netgear WNR3500 AND the Xbox adapter?
To get the "N" speed, you'd need both. An "N" router, however, still operates fine at B and G speeds. And if you upgrade devices/adapters later, you're already set with the right router.

Quote:

Is the Netgear WNR3500 RangeMax Wireless N Router that you suggested, the same one as the Netgear - RangeMax WNR3500L Wireless-N Gigabit Router
According to what I just saw online, yes it is the same.

Superstar 01-21-2011 02:05 PM

I actually don't have an xbox adapter, I never heard of it until you posted the link for it yesterday.'

I've been using the same router for about 1.5 yrs now and never had a problem until about 2 weeks ago, now I lag a lot during my online games (against other ppl on xbox live)

As I said earlier, my current router isn't on the list of compatible hardware, however it's worked for the 1.5 yrs until a few weeks ago. It still works, but lags sometimes.

What's weird is, my internet connection never lags or anything like that, it's just the xbox (they're connected to the same router)

That's why I was hoping I could get just the xbox n adapter, and use it with the current router that I have, so I don't have to buy both, that's be like $160 to buy both.

Superstar 01-26-2011 02:57 AM

I went ahead and ordered that Rangemax WNR3500 N Router that you suggested. It should be here either tomorrow or Thursday.

Is there anything special that I have to do when I get it, to set it up?

I bought my current router almost 2 yrs ago, and unfortunately I can't remember what I did to set it up. I keep thinking I just plugged it in, and started using it, but I'm sure that's wrong.

I'm guessing there's an installation CD that I'll have to put into all 3 of my computers that it's going to be on?

Would I have to do that for my Xbox as well? I'm going to buy the Xbox Wireless N Adapter for it also.

The reason I'm worried about this is because as you know, one of the computers that will be going on the router is the laptop, and when I called into Xbox the 1st of 3 times that I called them, I happened to tell the guy that I was getting a laptop anyday in the mail, and he had me go onto the D-Link website and log in with a username and pw (I honestly didn't even remember setting this up on their website, I just guessed the username and pw and happened to get it right) and he had me type in some things to set up my wireless netword for my laptop, and that was done and set up a few days before I even had the laptop.

So, I'm really worried about having to do this again because I'll have no clue what I'm supposed to do for the wireless network for the laptop.

I'm guessing the 2 desktop computers will be easy to set up (even though I've never had a wireless router, I currently have them both plugged into the router that I now have) but I'm really worried about the laptop.

admin 01-31-2011 06:27 AM

Quote:

Is there anything special that I have to do when I get it, to set it up?
Yes -- setup the wireless encryption (password), either WPA or WEP.
Read the manual for this.

Quote:

I keep thinking I just plugged it in, and started using it
Most times, it really is this easy. You don't technically have to encrypt the wireless, but it's the smart thing to do. Some routers also come with wireless disabled by default -- you have to enable it. I forget what Netgear does, and it may vary from model to model anyway.

Quote:

I'm guessing there's an installation CD that I'll have to put into all 3 of my computers that it's going to be on?
Nope, no reason for this. Windows XP SP2 and above includes Microsoft's own management tool for wireless. (Same for Mac OS X, for Mac users.) Any software that does come with the router is probably crap you don't need. Lots of hardware comes with software, but it's often unnecessary -- sometimes outright terrible.

Quote:

and he had me go onto the D-Link website and log in with a username and pw (I honestly didn't even remember setting this up on their website, I just guessed the username and pw and happened to get it right) and he had me type in some things to set up my wireless netword for my laptop, and that was done and set up a few days before I even had the laptop.
On most routers, you can jam a bent-back paperclip into a small hole for 5 seconds, and it resets the username/password to the factory default. Sometimes this is printed in the book, and then you can often refer to the official manufacturer's site -- or even search Google for "default router password _____ (brand name and model)" -- with it likely pulling up a forum post from dslreports.com. I've done this a few times in the past, when I got a used router or had to repair a network for somebody else that didn't know their username/password to access the router.

Quote:

I'm guessing the 2 desktop computers will be easy to set up (even though I've never had a wireless router, I currently have them both plugged into the router that I now have) but I'm really worried about the laptop
Wireless routers still have wire slots.

Kenneth M 02-25-2011 07:24 PM

You should also consider using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VWY0VY

I just found out about it today. It gives better-than-wireless internet connectivity going through regular electrical outlets in your home.

admin 02-25-2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenneth M (Post 14689)
You should also consider using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VWY0VY
I just found out about it today. It gives better-than-wireless internet connectivity going through regular electrical outlets in your home.

You don't want one of these. They work horribly.
I wrote about it this thread: Powerline Ethernet adapters to network computers in older home

To quote myself:
Quote:

These things are junk. They don't work. I tried all of them last summer and fall. The signals dip and disappears, even in homes/offices with new wiring that exceeds normal specs. ... I ended up climbing in the attic and just running new wires to the room needing additional access. I also had to add a new router with more available ports.
Save yourself the time and effort.

Kenneth M 02-26-2011 12:43 PM

Very interesting!

I have already bought these Western Digital boxes and am going to connect them in my 13 year old home. The modem will be upstairs, the computer that the signal needs to hit is downstairs.

I am now very curious as to how well these will work! I will report on them in a few weeks once I get my wife's computer up and running and connected to the internet via Powerline.