Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

I have my mac laptop in an adjacent room to someone's bedroom, & I use head phones to listen to music so as not to wake them while working with content on my external hard drive.

I notice I have this when my external hard drive is plugged into my hub & turned on, what is it? is it serious?

I dont this sound when my hard drive is not turned on & running.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

This is standard electrical interference. Something, somewhere, is not as well shielded as it should be or could be. This is very common on tightly-packed devices, especially when anything in use is cheaply made. In this cases, I'd note that most laptops use somewhat budget-grade sound cards, and Apple is no exception.

Serious? No.
Just annoying, at most.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
02-19-2011, 02:24 AM
Premium Member

is there anything I can do about it?

this seems odd since I see apple laptops and computers used by DJ's & others in the music industry.
02-21-2011, 04:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Not really.
Try better external speakers or headphones, maybe.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
02-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Free Member

I second all the information given by the gentlemen above. I would also suggest that you try higher quality headphones (if you don't have high quality already).

Is your external drive running directly off your Macbook, or is it plugged into the wall?

If it is running off the Macbook, try a different port, then try different cables (USB or Firewire).

If it is running off the wall you may be receiving interference from your house's wiring. Try another wall outlet to see if that helps. If not, try the same setup in another building. Preferably, a business that was recently built and has higher grade, modern wiring.
02-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
If it is running off the wall you may be receiving interference from your house's wiring. Try another wall outlet to see if that helps. If not, try the same setup in another building. Preferably, a business that was recently built and has higher grade, modern wiring.
... in case this wasn't clear enough -- kaliree means for testing.
..... Not that you have to move into a new office building -- hahaha! -- Just wanted to clarify that.

That's actually a good idea.

~~~~~~

If it does turn out to be power-related, then a good UPS may be able to filter it.
Sossity, are you using a CyberPower or APC UPS (uninterruptible power supply) -- a.k.a. a "battery backup surge protector" brick?

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: kaliree (02-22-2011)
02-22-2011, 02:23 AM
Free Member

Oh! Good catch.