Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

I have read that this is coming out, & hard drives will have this interface, this has made me rethink getting firewire 800 enclosures, if the new tech is coming out later this year, would it be even better?

I know no one can see into the future, but will external hard drive enclosures come with firewire, usb & thunderbolt?

I have seen these on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VTZFN4

are these a good deal? or wait for thunderbolt?
The following users thank Sossity for this useful post: euromac (04-25-2011)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-04-2011, 07:34 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Never wait.
Get what you need today, based on what's available now.

New tech is always "coming soon" and it's an exercise in futility to wait around for what comes next. Most of the time, what's new doesn't really work all that well, and has bugs. So unless you like being an early adopter, always go for the proven technology.

That Macally eSATA + FireWire 400 + FireWire 800 + USB2 SATA enclosure looks nice. I'd buy it.
The Amazon price is good, too, at $70 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VTZFN4

Price note: Good Firewire 800 enclosures are harder to find than eSATA or USB2, hence $70 range, instead of $40-50 range.

I see no reason to wait.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: euromac (04-25-2011)
04-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Free Member

Good post i was going through all this too. I wanted to buy external hard drive and i found the macally enclosure and i really like it. So i decided to buy it and start looking for 3.5 sata hard drives ..(didnt know anything about hard drives) I was doing some research and i choose the WD brand.., but they have 3 types The Green the BLue and the Black, so i went to Best Buy and ask whats the differences and he said the speed. The black one -fast noisy, Green slow- silent ..I really want a 7500rpm hard drive but if the black one is going to be noisy i rather stick with the Green one. Im going to buy a new macbook pro so i might give $100 extra for their option 500gb 7500rpm hard drive. Or should i get a 2.5 inch WD scorpio 7500 rpm 750Gb $109 and use it as s primary drive on the macbookpro and get the 500gb thats comes with it and use it for the macally external.. Im lost i need to decide what to do now I mostly edit music, photos, HD videos, Adobe cs5, LogicPro, etc..Admin please help Thanks sorry my english not very gud loking
04-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Never wait.
Get what you need today, based on what's available now.

New tech is always "coming soon" and it's an exercise in futility to wait around for what comes next. Most of the time, what's new doesn't really work all that well, and has bugs. So unless you like being an early adopter, always go for the proven technology.

That Macally eSATA + FireWire 400 + FireWire 800 + USB2 SATA enclosure looks nice. I'd buy it.
The Amazon price is good, too, at $70 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B003VTZFN4

Price note: Good Firewire 800 enclosures are harder to find than eSATA or USB2, hence $70 range, instead of $40-50 range.

I see no reason to wait.
Please Help Thank You.
04-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Quote:
but they have 3 types The Green the BLue and the Black, so i went to Best Buy and ask whats the differences and he said the speed. The black one -fast noisy, Green slow- silent ..I really want a 7500rpm hard drive but if the black one is going to be noisy i rather stick with the Green one.
Black is fast, but "noisy" is subjective. It's not going to sound like a 747 jet on your desk, if that's what you're afraid of. I helped a friend stock an external RAID-1 with a pair of WD Black Caviar drives, and I can't say that it sounds any more/less loud that my own WD Green Drives in the same OWC enclosure.

WD Blue is what I have in my laptops. I don't even know if they make Blue desktop drives, as I don't think I've ever seen one.

Quote:
Im going to buy a new macbook pro so i might give $100 extra for their option 500gb 7500rpm hard drive. Or should i get a 2.5 inch WD scorpio 7500 rpm 750Gb $109 and use it as s primary drive on the macbookpro and get the 500gb thats comes with it and use it for the macally external.
I would not buy a Mac, and then take it apart and swap drives around. I'd buy a Mac with the specs you want, then leave it alone. (I'd make an exception for adding your own after-market RAM, as Apple's pricing on RAM is best described as "financial rape".) At best, add external gear to it.

Put as much internal storage into a laptop as you can.
Add external drives to it later, for performance (eSATA, Firewire 800) or archiving/backups (USB2).

Quote:
HD videos, Adobe cs5
I assume you mean Premiere and Photoshop? These will suck up all of your RAM and drive space. CS5 is a huge resource pig. So get at least 8GB of RAM, and then get the best/largest internal drives you can afford. It will make using CS5 much more pleasant, and you can work faster without always waiting for the system to process off temp files.

Quote:
Thanks sorry my english not very gud loking
Your English is fine. I've seen monolingual native English speakers do worse.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: euromac (04-15-2011)
04-15-2011, 02:03 PM
Free Member

Thank you for fast response. I think that is exactly what I am going to do. I will have to choose from the two options they have for the macbookpro either 500GB 7200rpm or 750GB 5400rpm which are the same price $100, or stick with the stock drive that comes with, which is 500Gb 5400rpm. In your opinion which one should I go for. Then, I will add after market 8gb ram, and the 1tb WD black for external drive. I chose the Macally external enclosure, because i like the design. model (G-S350SUAB2 Hi-Speed eSATA/FireWire/USB2.0 Storage Enclosure for 3.5" SATA HDD). Since this enclosure doesn't have a fan, will i be all right with the black one or should i get green one. As far as performance of the black and green is there a big difference? Yes, I will be using: Premiere Pro, Photoshop, After Effects..etc.. Let me know in your opinion which is the best way to go for. Once again Thank you for helping.
04-15-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
either 500GB 7200rpm or 750GB 5400rpm
Get the 750GB 5400rpm internal. It's bigger, it's quieter, it's cooler.

Quote:
Since this enclosure doesn't have a fan
It's aluminum, so not as big a deal as you might think.
That said, however...

Quote:
will i be all right with the black one or should i get green one. As far as performance of the black and green is there a big difference?
The Green will be cooler.
Performance? Only if you're capturing video to the drive via Firewire 400, 800 or eSATA. If you are, then 7200rpm would be better, so get the Black drive in that case. For anything aside from capturing, either drive is perfectly fine.

The following users thank admin for this useful post: euromac (04-15-2011)
04-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Free Member

So i bought the 2tb 64mb 7200rpm, today it came and i installed it in my macally box it was very easy to do. However, now it dont seem to work when i plug it in to my old macbookpro. It says This disk you inserted was not redable by this computer. Initilize.. Ignore or Eject. Do i have to do something else like format i dont have any idea. Please help me again thanks.
04-25-2011, 02:13 PM

How is the hard drive formatted?
What OS is the "old" Mac Book pro using?

Although I have Macs, and have used Macs since the 1980s, I forget the file systems offhand. I do know it has issues like Windows, such as FAT32 vs NTFS vs exFAT, etc. Did you perhaps format the new drive in a way that is too new for the older MacOS on the old computer? There are several ways to format Mac journaled drives (HFS, HFS+, etc).

04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Free Member

I havent did anything to it just mount it in the enclosure and plugged it in. I think i have to to do something in order to use it.. Im heading to best buy to ask somebody
04-25-2011, 02:40 PM

No need for Best Buy.

Disks typically come without any file system formatting, or formatted as FAT32 or NTFS for Windows.
For use on a Mac, you often have to format / re-format the drive.
On a Mac, "format" is known as "initialize" (or "initialise" for British English), and that's what it was trying to get you to do.

This is a new drive, yes? Understand a format will erase all contents of a disc. It basically "blanks out" a hard drive, and readies it for use.

All Best Buy will do is try to sell you something else, simply act incompetent, or worse (give out incorrect advice).

04-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

On a Mac, it's easy to manually initialize a new hard drive. Simply go to the Disk Utility that comes with Mac OS X. This example was done on a Mac mini with OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

You can get to the Disk Utility in one of several ways:
1. Either by going into the main hard drive, and Applications folder,
2. Or by accessing the Applications folder from your dock (if present).
3. One method that will work on all OS X systems is to go to Finder, go to Go, and then Applications. Like this:

mac-goapplications.jpg

It will pull up the Applications folder.
Then locate the Utilities folder, go into it, and find the Disk Utility.
Launch the disk utility.

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

This is the Mac I'm using, which has:
- a main hard drive (Toshiba),
- a CompactFlash camera memory card currently inserted in a USB reader (Nikon),
- an LG DVD burner,
- and a 2TB external hard drive (Newer Technology RAID-1 enclosure).

To initialize this drive, I'd pick a drive, then go to the Erase tab.
Then pick the proper format (Mac OS Extended Journaled), and then name the new drive.
If I were to click the Erase... button, the drive would be wiped clean and formatted blank for use.

That's what you need to do to your new drive.

- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: euromac (04-25-2011)
04-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Free Member

Yes, The besbuy guy was pretty nice and said the same thing also he showed me how to do it, But now i have to choose the format there are 5 types: Mac OS extended (Journaled), Mac OS extended , Mac OS extended (Case sensetive, Journaled), Mac OS extended (Case sensetive), MS-DOS (FAT).. I should've asked..
04-25-2011, 03:23 PM

Are all of your computers using OS X as the operating system?
No OS9 or anything?
Not planning to use this on a Windows machine, either?

If 'yes' to OS X, 'no' to older OS, 'no' to Windows, then pick Mac OS Extended (Journaled). That's what my RAID photo drive is set to. This drive is only used on this Mac, or one other. Both are OS X 10.5 or higher.

I do have MacDrive 8, should I ever need to using it on a Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7 computer.

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: euromac (04-25-2011)
04-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Free Member

Im planning to use it on both Mac OSX and Windows 7... Do I have to get something else MacDrive 8? Have to spend more money ? oo no
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Free Member

Im planning to use it on both Mac OSX and Windows 7... Do I have to get something else MacDrive 8? Have to spend more money ? oo no
04-26-2011, 01:06 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,447 Times in 2,079 Posts
Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Then for your Windows XP, Vista or Win7 system:
Buy MacDrive 8 for $38 shipped: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002L7HT7W

That's the best solution.

- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: euromac (04-26-2011)
04-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Free Member

Yes thank you for reply, thats exactly what i did last night..Format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and i downloaded the demo version of MacDrive 8 it last 5 days, but i already transfered all the files i need. I transfered around 50 gb of files for around 15 20 mins. I dont think i will need MacDrive 8 in the future.. because i can just transfer the Win7 files from my MacOS if i need to ... and the WD hardrive can write to Win7.. Now have to reinstall my macbookpro sell it .. and buy the new one.. Thanks for helping.. Let you know how everything works after i buy my new macbook pro..
04-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Excellent.

I transfer files between Macs and Windows machines through the gigabit networks, via file sharing (SMB). It's easy to set up shared folders -- bidirectionally, too, meaning Mac can access Windows folders/drives, and Windows can access Mac folders. And printers.

Thumb drives are handy, too, for anything 16GB or smaller.

And then I have external drives formatted as exFAT, or NTFS with the Snow Leopard NTFS write hack. MacDrive is mostly for reading my dedicated Mac-only drives on the infrequent need to take a Mac drive on location with the XP notebooks.

How old is the old MacBook Pro?
Specs? How much? (Curious, mostly, but would always buy if price was right.)
Remember that this site has a marketplace -- free to sell av/computer/etc gear. Though admittedly it's not always super-duper fast, and may take several weeks. Worth it, however, if you're not in a rush. A number of members have done quite nicely here!

Take care.