Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Free Member

I’ve been experiencing an issue with my Mac Pro lately that might be better answered by Apple but, since it’s burner-related and I’ve gotten so much useful help here, I figure it can’t hurt to post about it.

There have been some recent storms in my area and I’ve had to shut down and unplug the machine a couple of times this week. When I turned it back on after about five days, it gave me an error saying a blank disc couldn’t be recognized because the disc drive wasn’t supported. I did a PRAM reset and that message went away; a blank disc was then recognized as usual.

However, as I burn a disc, the machine now seems to be making a soft humming noise; this is in addition to the common sound of the fans whirring. It doesn’t make the noise during normal operation and, placing my hands on the sides of the machine as it handles a disc, I can tell it generates from the center of the unit (rather than the top, front region where the optical drives are located). The drive seems to be functioning as normal, both reading and burning, although there is some latency towards the end of the "verify" stage of a data burn.

I’ve also, at the exact same time, started burning Sony Daxons at 12X after a long period of only burning Verbatim MCC at 6X. Don’t know if that might make a difference.

Does anyone know why this would happen? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

04-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

Which drive is this? A stock Mac drive? If so, is it the typical evil LG drive? Or the Panasonic/Matsushita/Matshita drive? --- Or some other aftermarket drive that you added on your own?

Humming tends to be a vibration of the disc. I recently lost my favorite Toshiba DVD player. It started to hum, and you could sometimes see faint scratches along the edge of the disc. Worse, sometimes it would make extra sounds as the disc would hit the interior as it spun. It was a progressive error.

R.I.P., my Toshiba.

The disc isn't being held firmly in place is it should be, although not so bad as to be loose in the spindle. I tried to repair my Toshiba, but eventually gave up.

Again -- people often worry about how long a burned DVD will last, but as many of us know (or are learning), the drives give out much faster. In 50-100 years, we may have libraries of DVDs with nothing to play them.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
04-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Free Member

I’m sorry to hear about your player, Admin. It’s tough that it both gave out and physically damaged, however lightly, your discs in the process. I hate scratched discs.

After burning a 6X Verbatim, I discovered that there is nothing wrong; what I was hearing was simply the computer working harder to burn at 12X.

I’m doing audio restoration work late at night in a sound-proofed room, so my ears are really tuned in to minute differences thanks to the absolute dead silence. I’m really happy to know there’s nothing wrong, but at the same time feel a bit silly for both worrying and posting about it.

The drive is a Pioneer NEC, and it’s been working wonderfully. I actually have two that came with the computer and I really value them both, since they’re not made anymore.
04-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,448 Times in 2,080 Posts
Quote:
I’m doing audio restoration work late at night in a sound-proofed room, so my ears are really tuned in to minute differences thanks to the absolute dead silence.
I felt that way this morning. The only gear turned on was a Mac mini (99% silent) and an external hard drive. Outside was dead quiet, even an open window. I felt like I was in a wind tunnel, because of the hard drive noise in the enclosure. My ears were simply amplifying the only sound. I could even feel/hear my heart beating. My fix? Some music.

Quote:
The drive is a Pioneer NEC, and it’s been working wonderfully. I actually have two that came with the computer and I really value them both, since they’re not made anymore.
Yes, excellent drives.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs