Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-05-2011, 06:37 AM
Free Member

I am thinking of getting high performance hp desktop gaming one thing i don't know is what motherboard does Intel i7 hp uses better not be msi i don't like msi worst company i hope its asus.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

12-05-2011, 07:57 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

It's going to vary from model to model. Which specific HP model were you looking at?

I see several models at http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...%20performance

MSI motherboards can be very good -- or very bad. Same for Gigabyte, Asus, etc. In the past 20 years, I've not known any computer to be consistently good of bad, aside from Intel (always good) or VIA (almost always subpar). So I wouldn't wholesale bar any specific brand. Generally speaking, most OEM computer makers (HP, Dell, etc) also use custom motherboards from manufacturers, often Intel based when used on Intel CPU systems. And then they've generally taken care to ensure functionality, unlike the problems you'll run into with a do-it-yourself rig.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
12-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good energy efficient power supply to power these i7 motherboards? I want to try to save on energy as much as possible.
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishvabis View Post
Can anyone recommend a good energy efficient power supply to power these i7 motherboards? I want to try to save on energy as much as possible.
Well, if you're referring to the HP systems, not just any generic i7 capable motherboard, then you may be out of luck.
Most HP computers that I've run into are already using so-called "efficient" power supplies.
Refer to http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_...ng/80plus.html

I like to use the Logisys 480W to 550W power supplies from Geeks.com
See those at http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=PWR

These are quiet, and don't get overly hot, which does lead to the assumption that power is not being wasted. (Albeit admittedly a non-scientific conclusion.) It's not a room-heating wind tunnel, I can say that. It's just a standard modern ATX power supply, for pretty much any system. I did notice my power bill went down after tossing some older hardware.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!