Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Premium Member

Adobe Premiere is mentioned a lot on this site regarding Video Editing (and Photo Editing?)..But seems Pretty Expensive!,(but worth the money!).. So my Question is; Is there ONE Adobe Program that handles both Photo/Video Editing? Or do I have to Purchase 2 Different Programs for Photo,and/or Video?....Once every year I will see Adobe Software on Clearance Sale at almost 1/2 Price at Staples Office Store,Usually the "Elements" Version
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-19-2012, 06:41 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

A single program does not exist, no. These are two completely separate processes. If such a program did exist, it would be a mess of code (spaghetti code), and likely require a high end computer to load all of the required drivers and libraries at the same time. Generally speaking, you don't even want to run Photoshop and Premiere at the same time, because they're both very resource intensive.

Adobe Premiere Pro is a 3-digit priced professional editing suite. CS3 and CS4 is what I use.

Adobe Premiere Elements is a 2-digit priced consumer editing program. It is limited compared to Pro, and mostly made to edit video made on consumer camcorders (first DV, now HDV and AVC). Export options are far more limited, as are the project settings. For example, 352x480 has long been forbidden, and only 720x480 was available.

Adobe Photoshop is a 3-digit priced professional photography and graphics editing suite. CS5 is what I use.

Adobe Photoshop Elements has stripped out much of the advanced layer, compositing and filtering functions. It still works quite nicely for basic photography and graphics/image editing. In the 1990s, Photoshop had an "LE" (limited edition) version, though it went away for several years. It often came with high-end scanners, or with the Aldus/Adobe software bundles of the era. Elements was its replacement.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom (formerly just Adobe Lightroom) is a darkroom-like photography editing suite priced between the full and Elements version of Photoshop. It has a lot of the filtering abilities of Photoshop's pro version, but lacks the advanced layering and compositing features that are used in artwork and graphics. Only advanced niche photographers tend to use both Lightroom and Photoshop now, because Lightroom does most of what's needed for correcting and editing digital photographs.

Adobe has a two-pack at Amazon (cheaper than adobe.com) with both Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements for $89 + free shipping.
That's available here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=digitalfaq-20

To get both of the pro versions together, you have to buy one of the suites/collections such as the Master Collection, Web Premium Suite, or Design Premium Suite. Without verifying, I believe each of those comes with Photoshop because it's difficult to do anything in video, print or web without advanced editing of imagery. You can buy these directly from the Adobe.com store, or at a trusted site like Amazon, or AcademicSuperstore (if you're a student or teacher). Amazon also has the academic pricing discounts.

Search of Amazon for "adobe collection": http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...ias%3Dsoftware

Is it more clear now?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
The following users thank kpmedia for this useful post: rocko (08-20-2012)
08-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Premium Member

Yes!...And for someone like me, just getting into Computer Photo and Video stuff, and after investing many$$$$ into Audio Gear and software,It sounds like the $89 would do for now,for making DVD covers/from snapshots of Captured Video files ,and also combining older Photos into the DVD covers,Ect...
08-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,461 Times in 2,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockovids View Post
It sounds like the $89 would do for now,for making DVD covers/from snapshots of Captured Video files ,and also combining older Photos into the DVD covers,Ect...
Agreed.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: rocko (08-20-2012)