Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
11-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Free Member

I just got on a computer that i hadn't used in a few months, and it prompted me to download some windows updates. so i did that, and i also had to download the newest version of java. so, after i did those things, i had to reboot, and after it booted up and got past the windows screen, its taking me to a black screen with a lot of text on it, telling me windows had a problem. it's letting me try to boot with safe mode, etc. so, i try that, and everytime i do it with that, or any of the other options including start windows normally, last known good config, etc, it doesn't work, it just keeps going back to that screen after it reboots itself. i can't even get to the desktop.

i've never had this problem after installing a windows update. how can i fix this?

thanks!
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

11-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Quote:
a black screen with a lot of text on it
Either take a photo, or type it out. That text likely has an error message with useful information.

Quote:
it's letting me try to boot with safe mode, etc. so, i try that, and everytime i do it with that, or any of the other options including start windows normally, last known good config, etc, it doesn't work, it just keeps going back to that screen after it reboots itself
Are you saying that Safe Mode won't even boot up?

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.
11-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Free Member

I've included pics, in the order that it happens.

Pic 1 shows what happens when I first turn it on. I selected "start windows normally" so then it goes to the Windows screen, which is pic 2.

After it goes off the windows screen in pic 2, it just reboots itself, as seen in pic 3.

After it reboots itself, it goes to pic 3, which is the same screen that's in pic 1.

This time, I select "safe mode" as seen in pic 4, and the screen goes down a little with a bunch of code, then the screen goes black, and all of the codes that you see in pic 5 come up. So no, it doesn't even boot up in safe mode.

The only way that I can get out of what you see in pic 5, is to just manually turn off my computer.

I can't even get to my desktop anymore

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.6 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (40.8 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (38.2 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (39.9 KB, 2 downloads)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (82.6 KB, 2 downloads)
11-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
Pull out everything but the essentials: motherboard, main hard drive, main graphics card.
Sometimes RAM can be bad, too, so remove as much as possible.
Now try again.

This is a process of elimination. So taking hardware out of the equation is the first step.

If no change, unplug/remove the hard drive, and change the BIOS to boot from a CD/DVD drive. Try to boot from a Xubuntu disc.
Find the torrent at http://xubuntu.org/getxubuntu/
If you're unable to download the torrent, I can upload my ISO. But it may take a couple of days. I'll have to do it during downtime.
If Xubuntu works, then we know it's completely an issue with Windows, and not likely any of the hardware.

This is a Linux OS that mimics Mac OS X pretty nicely. I use this on my personal laptops.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs