Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-22-2011, 06:18 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

The Screengrab plugin for Firefox has long been one of my favorites, as it allows you to take screen shots of an entire webpage -- not just screen shots of the visible portion of the page. It's very useful for developing a portfolio (from your own designs), or even taking shots of other sites for inspiration! I've even used it a few times to take "proof" shots of various sites, to create accompanying documents when sending DMCAs, or to document how a site looked at a specific point in time (sort of a do-it-yourself Wayback machine).

The original developer abandoned it with Firefox 3.x, declared it to be end-of-life (EOL), claiming that "FF changes too fast and I don't have the time to maintain it anymore. Bugs have developed that I am not in a position to investigate. Therefore, Screengrab is EOL. Sorry." However, no bugs are noticed here. And it works fine. The problem is that the plugin's RDF file specified that the plugin is not allowed to work beyond version 3.6.x. I've fixed it to work with any version up to Firefox 12.0.x

Download

Download the plugin here -- Screengrab for Firefox 7-8-9-10+ (Click to Add to Firefox)
  1. You must be logged into the site. If not already a member, sign up as a Free Member.
  2. When you click the link, your Mozilla browser will probably ask how to open this file. You won't save it, but rather open it with Firefox in-browser.
  3. And then it will probably give warnings about this site not being an approved developer, danger, etc etc. You can safely ignore this.

How this Plugin was Updated

Firefox Add-on XPI files are nothing more than renamed ZIP archives (.zip files). To update the plugin on your own, you'll have to do this:
  • Visit the official Mozilla Addon page for Screengrab
  • Right-click the 'Add to Firefox' button, and 'Save As...' the XPI file to your computer.
  • Rename it from .xpi to .zip
  • Unzip it.
  • Edit install.rdf in a text editor, such as Notepad++.
  • Change line 24: <em:maxVersion>3.6.*</em:maxVersion>
  • For example, to make the change like I did: <em:maxVersion>12.0.*</em:maxVersion>
  • Save the file, re-zip the archive, rename it to .xpi
  • Upload it to a webserver somewhere, such as your own website.
  • Then enter the URL into Firefox, open it in Firefox, and ignore the warning.
Or just use my ready-to-go update and save yourself the hassle.

Attached Files
File Type: xpi Screengrab.for.Firefox.fixed.by.digitalFAQ.com.xpi (76.0 KB, 323 downloads)
File Type: xpi Screengrab-0.96.3-fx.Original.xpi (76.0 KB, 10 downloads)

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
The following users thank admin for this useful post: jmlcdburning (01-03-2019)
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

A new version of this plugin has been released at: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...b-fix-version/
So it's available in the "official" Firefox repository now.

However the problem is still there -- the plugin is only valid up to version 20.0.* of Firefox. As was the case last time, the plugin is probably already abandoned, seeing as how the developers site reads "It works!" (an Apache default page). So we can probably look forward to this repeating all over again soon. Version 18 is currently in the release channel, and version 19, 20, and beyond are in the dev channel.

I've attached another fixed version, which goes up to version 30.0.* instead, by using the same simple edits shown in the first post.

To install it, go to Tools > Addons, and then locate the little gear dropdown on the right side:

firefox-screengrab-1.jpg

Select the xpi file you've downloaded. That's it. Firefox installs it, and a restart is required.
Note: The screen grab shows an outdated version, but method is the same. Too lazy get another one!

You must be logged in to view this content; either login or register for the forum. The attached screen shots, before/after images, photos and graphics are created/posted for the benefit of site members. And you are invited to join our digital media community.

You'll find the xpi attached below.

Attached Files
File Type: xpi screengrab.0.96.10c.fx.v30.by.digitalFAQ.com.xpi (96.4 KB, 1 downloads)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.