Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
12-19-2012, 03:19 AM
Premium Member

I was discussing external hard drives the different formats ie; FAT32 vs NTFS, vs exFAT, & how I wanted my drives to be cross platform, on another forum, & how to back them up. Among the suggestions I was given was NAS, & specifaclly the brand of Synology.

I have alot of data that I keep on external hard drives, & wanted a way to back them up, to keep a copy of each external offsite away from my home in the event of a disaster at home, like a fire.

would NAS storage work for my purposes? I was suggested the brand of Synology, NAS, & I looked at their website, & they state that they are their own cloud storage.

from what I gather so far, the NAS would work well for some backup purposes, but what if there was a housefire at my home & everything was burned up? how would I access my data then without having a physical duplicate of it somewhere offsite to restore?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

You don't need NAS storage, that's overkill. What I would do (and do) is buy a 2 TB Fantom Drive.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B004IYJX1G
Set up a schedule every 3,6,9 months to copy all your data over, then carry them offsite. Buy as many as you need. Not much else to the process.

Thanks,
-JMP

This was an unanswered question or unresolved issue found during a site audit. It's hard to have an FAQ when the answers are missing, or final outcomes are unknown. At The Digital FAQ support forum, questions are never intentionally ignored, and may have been missed due to a forum glitch or human error. More details on the audit. (In some cases, threads have been edited/updated with newer information.)

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.