Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-29-2013, 11:00 PM
Former Site Staff | Computers

Yes, what kaliree said, most definitely backup any important files you have onto an external drive.

And please attach the log files when you get a chance.

-JMP

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Check out my latest Editorial.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-30-2013, 02:03 AM
Free Member

I just tried to attach the log file, but when I went to it on here & selected it, an error box came up that said,

CBS
You don't have permission to open this file.

Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission.
03-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Free Member

Are you an administrator on your computer? If so, what version of Windows are you using? Is it Windows Vista or Windows 7? If so:

1. Download this file: http://www.howtogeek.com/downloads/TakeOwnership.zip
2. Unzip and install
3. You will now have "Take Ownership" as an option when you right click on files.
4. Right click on the log file and choose "Take Ownership"
5. Attach the log file to your next post.
03-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Free Member

I was able to open it after I downloaded that program, however when I tried to upload it on here thru the attachment link, it said invalid file. So I then tried to copy and paste everything in here but when I tried to submit it, it said there was way too much text and it wouldn't upload it.
03-30-2013, 10:12 PM
Free Member

Superstar, you just can't get a break, huh?

So let's do this:

1. Open the log file
2. Copy all the text
3. Open Notepad and create a blank document
4. Paste the text into the Notepad document
5. Save the Notepad document as a .txt file
6. Attach that .txt file to your next post
03-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliree View Post
Superstar, you just can't get a break, huh?
You don't know the half of it. haha.
I just tried to do that & it said "Your file of 8.45 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 250.0 kb for this filetype.
It's a very big log file..
03-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Site Staff | Web Development

Try again, Superstar. Attachment size increased to 32MB for txt files.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-30-2013, 10:42 PM
Free Member

Admin to the rescue!
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
Free Member

I think it worked this time, thanks!

Attached Files
File Type: txt LogFile.txt (8.45 MB, 5 downloads)
03-31-2013, 01:03 AM
Free Member

Okay. You have several (6 or more...I lost count) files that are corrupted. Many are Windows system files. Since sfc /scannow did not repair the files, you have to do some work to manually locate good copies of these files and then manually replace the corrupted files with the good copies.

This will be tedious and it is dangerous. If you make a mistake you could ruin your existing Windows installation and then you would need to reinstall from scratch. At this point, it might be a better and less painful alternative to reinstall Windows and start over with a fresh copy of the OS, but if you want to try to fix it without reinstalling, read on...

------Did you backup EVERYTHING important yet?! Now is the time to do so, before you do anything else. Do it now! ---

You can find good copies of most of your corrupted files on your original Windows installation disk. The others should be able to be found on the Microsoft web site. You can get them from a Google search, but be very careful to use credible sources, otherwise you will likely end up with a lot of malware. See? Isn't a fresh Windows install looking better by the minute?

Step1: To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File Checker tool.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

(Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file includes information about files that were not repaired by the System File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File Checker tool.)

Type sfcdetails.txt in Search programs and files, and then press Enter.

The Sfcdetails.txt file uses the following format:
Date/Time SFC detail
The following sample log file contains an entry for a file that could not be repaired:

2007-01-12 12:10:42, Info CSI 00000008 [SR] Cannot
repair member file [l:34{17}]"Accessibility.dll" of Accessibility, Version =
6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_MSIL (8), Culture neutral,
VersionScope neutral, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:b03f5f7f11d50a3a}, Type
neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, file is missing

Step2: If the System File Checker tool cannot repair a file.

1.At an elevated command prompt, copy and then paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER:
takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
For example, type takeown /f E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.

2. Copy and paste (or type) the following command, and then press ENTER to grant administrators full access to the file:
icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F
For example, type icacls E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll /grant administrators:F.

3. Copy and paste (or type the following command to replace the file with a known good copy of the file:
Copy Path_And_File_Name_Of_Source_File Path_And_File_Name_Of_Destination
For example, type copy E:\temp\jscript.dll E:\windows\system32\jscript.dll.
03-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliree View Post
This will be tedious and it is dangerous. If you make a mistake you could ruin your existing Windows installation and then you would need to reinstall from scratch. At this point, it might be a better and less painful alternative to reinstall Windows and start over with a fresh copy of the OS, but if you want to try to fix it without reinstalling, read on...

[COLOR="Red"]You can find good copies of most of your corrupted files on your original Windows installation disk. The others should be able to be found on the Microsoft web site. You can get them from a Google search, but be very careful to use credible sources, otherwise you will likely end up with a lot of malware. See? Isn't a fresh Windows install looking better by the minute?
Still following these threads....personally I would have reinstalled the OS....when I found the first signs of corruption...but that doesn't mean a course for everyone.

I think he is using Vista...which chances are higher that he would have some form of OS disc...likely a recovery disc which would be fine.

Problem since W7...some don't get any kind of disc...yet an iso can be downloaded from sites.

Back to this, perhaps he can painstakingly sort through and get it back going without resorting to reinstall...
yet reinstall is about 2 hours...or so...but then the necessity of reinstalling all software and acquiring drivers if there isn't a disc.

I had a networking problem on my W7 laptop and after fighting with it some months, I got mad and placed the OS disc in drive....that solved all my problems.
I have had this laptop since late 2009....the point being after many months...or years, an OS gets bloated misconfigured or whatever....many of us simply reinstall.

That's my 2 cents, not to be taken seriously at all and will drop out of this thread for good to see the outcome.
Good luck to the one getting help and those helping.
03-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Free Member

I am using Vista. I would like to do a full recovery actually. Unfortunately, I don't have the disc for it. I actually did a recovery last year without the disc, I somehow found the recovery option, but I don't remember how I did it, I can't seem to find it now.

I will try what Kaliree suggested, because he spent so much time writing that out for me and putting a lot of time into helping me, as JMP has done, but I have been considering a full recovery for a few weeks now and just starting over.
03-31-2013, 09:12 PM

Is your system a name brand such as an HP or DELL? If so, it may be possible to get a set of recovery discs from them (for a cost).

Personally, if it were me and I had corrupted system files, I would consider reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling Windows.

Also have you considered moving from Vista to Windows 7? It's essentially the same as vista looks wise, but built to be more stable and uses less resources.

03-31-2013, 10:53 PM
Free Member

It's a Dell. How would I reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows?

I would go to Windows 7, but unfortunately money is tight at the moment and I can't really do that
03-31-2013, 11:03 PM

You would need a Windows Vista installation disc for your appropriate version (Home Basic, Professional, Ultimate).

As for formatting and reinstalling, you would boot from the installation disc (not running within windows), and run the Windows installation choosing to format the drive for installation.

Since you have a Dell, I would first recommend trying to contact them to obtain a system restore disc for your model of computer.