Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
08-13-2015, 02:18 AM
Free Member

I am looking to buy a good NAS drive so that I can store all my personal family videos, movies, photos, music can be stored and accessed (played) via TV, WDTV Live, Android mobile, local PC and Laptops and also from the internet (remote access).

I already have a Gigabit network cabling at home.

Can I just go for products like WD My Cloud drives, or more expensive Synology brand? I have a spare PC also that I can use as NAS but am worried about its power consumption if it is on all the time.

Are the NAS products in home segment that reliable?

Thanks

Regards
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

08-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
How big a NAS do you want? They have at least 6tb now! Too bad they're too large for most computers to directly connect, as the 2tb/3tb/4tb barriers can be pesky.

I was looking at this recently myself. For now, I still choose to run a computer 24/7 on a battery backup to serve files across the house, to all our devices. It's basically our home server, and it has about 20tb of drives, with about 40tb more to switch out as needed (my whole DVD collection backed up as ISO).

If I were to do it, I'd probably go for WD myself. Maybe that's a bad choice, as I've not researched it in depth, but my cursory research showed that they had great reviews. True, there is other hardware out there, but I don't know that it's needed. Most are for advanced features (interchanging drives, etc) that we'd not need at home (non-upgradable unit).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...RRCVAGC6GKQRHS

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
08-23-2015, 01:51 AM
Free Member

I am just looking for about 3 to 4 TB.

As per your suggestion, I am going for WD MyCloud 3 TB. Seagate central seems to have bad reviews, and other brands such as Synology are pretty expensive.