Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
10-30-2015, 05:12 PM
Free Member

Hello,

I had to recently move and the house I'm in now has a modem upstairs in a room, however I'm downstairs and there's no modem down here.

At my old house, I had both my laptop and Xbox 1 hard wired to my modem, and I most times had great internet connection & speed on both of them. However, here I have to be wireless and the speeds are much different.

For example, my download speed at my last house was over 90, and here it's barely 3. Playing xbox one online with that isn't good.

I had to buy a range extender which did help. Unfortunately, I can't bring it into my room, because the signal is weaker in here than it is 5 steps outside of my room into the hallway for some reason, so I had to set it there. I can't hard wire either the xbox or the laptop to that, because of that reason.

Is there anything else that I can do, to get better speeds for both my xbox one and laptop?

Thanks
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

01-04-2016, 08:23 AM
Site Staff | Web Hosting, Photo

Wireless doesn't work as well as people want you to believe.

I gave up years ago, and simply wired the entire house. The only devices not wired are some WDTVs (living room and kitchen, open floor plan), and those are in the same room with the router.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- Please Like Us on Facebook | Follow Us on Twitter

- Need a good web host? Ask me for help! Get the shared, VPS, semi-dedicated, cloud, or reseller you need.