Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-27-2016, 12:26 PM
Free Member

Since I am getting the ViewSonic IPS monitor, it has the DVI-D port only. Of course the AIW cards both have DVI-I ports but will connect fine with the monitor.

I'd like to know what's a good DVI based KVM switch for both my XP boxes? The better ones from what I looked at are more expensive, but I don't have a problem with that if they work reliably. I also have only one set of speakers so I am not sure whether I would need to get another set of speakers or if the switch has audio capability that works properly.

I'd appreciate any help.
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,458 Times in 2,090 Posts
DVI-I is analog with digital. DVI-D is digital only. So any DVI-I card should connect to DVI-D KVM or monitor without an issue.

As for suggestions, I thought I gave these to you in another thread.

I'm using the Starview 4-port DVI KVM.
- The video is perfect.
- Sometimes the shift key sticks (holding it down too long confuses the KVM), and I have to swap to another screen and back again. But it's not too often.
- From what I remember, the audio was pretty terrible, but all KVMs are. I prefer to have dedicated speakers for each system. Less wires = less noise. I've not tried KVM audio in at least 3 years now.

Aside from that, I have no idea.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
03-02-2016, 04:20 AM
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
DVI-I is analog with digital. DVI-D is digital only. So any DVI-I card should connect to DVI-D KVM or monitor without an issue.

As for suggestions, I thought I gave these to you in another thread.

I'm using the Starview 4-port DVI KVM.
- The video is perfect.
- Sometimes the shift key sticks (holding it down too long confuses the KVM), and I have to swap to another screen and back again. But it's not too often.
- From what I remember, the audio was pretty terrible, but all KVMs are. I prefer to have dedicated speakers for each system. Less wires = less noise. I've not tried KVM audio in at least 3 years now.

Aside from that, I have no idea.
It wasn't directly asked; the thread in question was regarding the different video connectors on the monitors. I see that the DVI based KVM's are more expensive compared to the VGA versions.

I only have one set of dedicated speakers, so may consider another set for the second XP box. Starview, I believe its Startech as a google search refers the Starview on Startech's website.

Thanks again!