Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-04-2016, 03:24 PM
Free Member

Hello.
When I try to launch Central Point Backup for the first time I get this error:
"Central Point CPBVXD.386 is missing. Please make sure that this file is in the CP Backup application directory and that it is listed in the [386Enh] section of the S-Y-S-T-E-M-.-I-N-I file."
Both conditions are met, yet the error still occurs.

Thus I have two questions:
1. How to fix it?
2. What is an alternative free backup software for windows to read and write tapes, floppies and other media, especially to dump them to HDD.

Cheers.

EDIT: Apparently writing the fiel name without "-" triggers security block of the site, why?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-08-2016, 01:20 AM
Site Staff | Web Development

I haven't heard that name in probably 15-20 years. I didn't even know Central Point was still around.

Nothing quality is free, but I prefer Paragon Drive Backup for around $30.
Or Terabyte Backup.

- Did this site help you? Then upgrade to Premium Member and show your support!
- Also: Like Us on Facebook for special DVD/Blu-ray news and deals!
03-08-2016, 12:49 PM
Free Member

I don't intend on ever using tape backup other than to extract the tapes I scavanged from old faculty of physics after they moved out, so I don't need payware, but when I have all drives to the tapes I need I'll just use a trial of a program that has no limits for transfering tapes.
03-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Regarding old tapes. Do you know for a fact they were archived with Central Point Backup for Windows? Also, do you have the tape drive that was used to back the tapes up? Most consumer tape drives used smaller QIC tapes. I have a copy of Central Point PC Tools for Windows 2.0, it can be "found" elsewhere.

Ideally you have the 486/Pentium with tape drive originally used to make the backups, as that would make restoration a snap.
03-09-2016, 03:56 AM
Free Member

The only drives I now have are Tandberg SLR 5th generation drive and Sony SDT-9000 and I don'r have any SLR tapes.
I'm trying to extract the content of DDS tapes, I have no idea on what software/hardware they were written, or if they were erased before being left over.
03-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Premium Member

Restoration is likely next to impossible without knowing:
1. The drive used to record the tapes. While the tapes may say DDS2, there is no knowing if a DDS1 drive was used to record the tapes. Backwards compatibility with older formats is also a crap shot between drives.
2. The backup software used. There is no standard "format" of tape backup archives (aside from the UNIX "tar" command). Hundreds of vendors made tape backup software for PC/Mac with differing formats.

Best bet: Hook up the drive you got and hope they were a UNIX shop that used tar. I have an old SCSI Archive/Seagate DDS2 drive here, otherwise I don't have much in the way of DAT tapes.
03-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Free Member

I have Sony SDT-9000.

I tried using tar command in Ubuntu, it gives no results, I tried 3 different softwares all say the tapes are empty.

Well, I'll check the last resort and if that fails, I'll record them as DAT tapes.

As for formats, I thought they were written without file system, simply as flux of binary data.