digitalFAQ.com Forum

digitalFAQ.com Forum (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/)
-   Computers (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/)
-   -   Anybody here know how to change your IP address? (https://www.digitalfaq.com/forum/computers/795-how-change-ip.html)

wayshway 04-26-2006 03:01 PM

Anybody here know how to change your IP address?

Anybody here know how to change your IP address? Can someone give me step by step instruction? My OS is windows xp.

Take care
Bobby

Zany2theMax@aol.com

lordsmurf 04-26-2006 03:21 PM

Temporary or permanent?

wheezer210 04-26-2006 04:00 PM

you on dial up or cable/dsl?

If you're on cable the only way to permanantly change your IP is to call your ISP and ask if they can change it for you.

For a temp solution you can use any number of proxies to mask your IP.

wayshway 04-26-2006 04:16 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Temporary or permanent?
Permanent please? :)

Thanks

lordsmurf 04-26-2006 04:43 PM

Are you on DSL or cable, or on dial-up?

wayshway 04-26-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by lordsmurf

Are you on DSL or cable, or on dial-up?
Cable.

Take care

lordsmurf 04-26-2006 05:31 PM

If you have a DHCP connection, and I bet you do, go into the router, log in as an admin, and change the MAC ADDRESS of the router. Just go change ONE number, preferably somewhere in the middle or end. Change a "0" to a "1" or a "1" to a "0". You will probably have to turn off all computers, unplug your routers, unplug the modem, wait 2-3 minutes minimum, plug back the modem, wait for it to connect, plug back the routers, wait for it to go green, then turn on computers again. You can bypass turning off computers if you know how to release IP and then renew it again.

I do this every now and then, when I'm getting pinged by random BS and don't feel like waiting it out.

Skuff 04-27-2006 01:37 AM

Just curious, how would you do it on dial up?

padre2 04-27-2006 02:03 AM

Normally, each time you dial-in, you'll get a different IP address (it depends on how busy the local dialin location is). You can try to do a release and renew, but Windows platforms have this odd habit of requesting their old IP address when they do the renew. So if no one has dialed-in recently, or between your release and renew statements, you'll end up getting your same IP address back.

To try it, go to a DOS box and do "ipconfig /release" and then "ipconfig /renew"

padre2 04-27-2006 02:08 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, about the MAC address changing - be careful! Some broadband ISPs (cable/dsl) register the MAC address of the router or PC nic card. Comcast was doing this for a while before it became an administrative nightmare. Originally they only supported 1 computer hooking up to their service, so they would register the MAC address of the device connected to the cable/dsl modem. They were only expecting that to be a PC, and that MAC address would never change. Well, when PC network cards would crap out, or people would install routers at home, it would screw them up (you wouldn't get access, because your MAC was registered). So most of them have removed this 'feature' and now just worry about the ID of the cable/dsl modem only.

wayshway 04-27-2006 02:39 PM

Okay guys,
Step by step insrtuctions please. :D

I have 2 computers.
Main computer in my room has a cable modem and a Linksys router for my Vonage.

Theres an ethernet cable going from the Vonage Linksys router to a Linksys wireless router for the computer in the other room.

Were do I start? :)

Take care

padre2 04-28-2006 01:27 AM

wayshway, did some research this morning. That 192.158.x.x address is coming from your Vontage router. What you need to do is boot up your laptop or whatever device you have that's wireless, and check the default router IP address (DOS box, ipconfig). That should be your Linksys wireless router. That's what's hooked up to your cable modem, so it's got the IP address you want to change.

weevil6772 05-01-2006 12:27 PM

There's tons of programs that'll give you random IP addresses, etc.Hide IP global I think is a name of one that's good.It'll give you IP addresses from all over the world when you log online.In case you wanna go incognito or something....

Eli 05-02-2006 09:02 PM

for 1 thing move out of Swaziland ,.. bad area ,... lol

jpklcapp 06-23-2006 06:23 AM

Whenever I am using a program that I do not want to be tracked on - like LIMEWIRE I use www.anonymiser.com - anonymous surfing - free trial but I bought it. If I am feeling particularly squeemish that day I also bounce that through a proxy in China or some other impossable to track location. You can use remote proxy addresses really easy to do - just search on google for open proxy servers and then add it to internet explorer with the tools>internet options>connections tab @ the bottom. That doesn't even require any software to accomplish

wayshway 06-26-2006 11:13 PM

Quote:

quote:Originally posted by jpklcapp

Whenever I am using a program that I do not want to be tracked on - like LIMEWIRE I use www.anonymiser.com - anonymous surfing - free trial but I bought it. If I am feeling particularly squeemish that day I also bounce that through a proxy in China or some other impossable to track location. You can use remote proxy addresses really easy to do - just search on google for open proxy servers and then add it to internet explorer with the tools>internet options>connections tab @ the bottom. That doesn't even require any software to accomplish

Heelo, I found out how to change it. :)
Also, the link isn't working.:)

Take care