Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
06-07-2018, 02:45 AM
Free Member

So, I'm heavily debating on upgrading to a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro display tablet but I'm not sure if dropping that kind of money into a new tablet is a good investment.

So the quick rundown is that I am currently using a XP-Pen Artist 13.3 drawing tablet that I purchased barely a year ago-ish?

From the moment I bought it, I forgot about pencil and papers and now I make my sketches directly in Photoshop. I must say that I haven't noticed a meaningful advance in coloring, but it's much better when it comes to drawing, an unresolved matter for tablets.

I love my tablet dearly and can work with it no problem, but wonder if upgrading again might benefit me and/or my art.

Have you found any benefits in upgrading to a XP-Pen Artist 22E Pro graphics tablet ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Graphics-Dr.../dp/B07CP1LMHJ ), over other tablets? What kind of benefits?

I know the XP-Pen Artist has been the cheap best drawing tablet for some time now, and I’ve always wanted to go that direction. I do a lot of digital illustration and design in Photoshop and Illustrator, and I’ve invested a lot in these apps (both in terms of experience/knowledge, and custom brushes/tool presets).

So I’m just trying to decide what might fit my needs best for the ability to do professional-quality digital illustration, both on the go and and my desktop. What are your experiences with this option?
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

06-07-2018, 11:59 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
What I use is the Toshiba Portege z20t. https://us.toshiba.com/computers/lap...0t/Z20t-C2112/

I got mine as refurb overstock on eBay for $450 -- one of those crazy sale prices that probably won't come again ever. Right now, I see some new ones available for about half MSRP on both eBay and Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Porte...ebe63f0d853e2c

It's a matte portable tablet with Wacom pen tech inside. To me, it works better than a "drawing tablet" because you can see exactly what you're doing, as well as treat it like a piece of paper. It works much like a wireless Cintiq, if such a thing existed. This is as close as it gets for imitating the feel of pencil on paper, which is what I need to draw. I can move it around, put in in my lap, etc -- like paper on a clipboard. I hate how "drawing tablets" are fixed position, and make you box with it to draw, putting your hand into odd/cramped/unnatural positions. I can't draw that way. I know a few professional illustrators, and they often complain about cramps and pains, and it's because those fixed-position style tablets are antiquated POS.

To me, the z20t is a stepping stone to having "digital paper", which I hope to see in my lifetime.

I was going to write a review on it at digitalFAQ.com, but just haven't had time to do so.

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs