Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
02-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Free Member

Hello all!

I’m starting a designing course and I’ve been told a Desktop computer can be the most economical solution to handle specific softwares like adobe Photoshop and After Effects perfectly.
Right now, i’m studying in Lisbon. So, I would need to buy it from Portuguese stores.
Anyway, I started my search and found this solutions. i’ll leave a link below.
My problem is that I don't know any of the components (in terms of performance). There are AMD and Intel Processors and I don't know what's the best. And then there are the graphics cards.
I saw reviews which said that to render videos properly you need a lot of RAM, how much do you think I should get?
I have a limited budget for the computer (I already have Monitor and peripherals). Around 1000€.
From the ones I selected, which do you think will fit better?
Feel free to make any question or suggestion!

My research: My Desktop PC Search
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

02-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Site Staff | Video

Thanked 2,449 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerstar View Post
Hello all!
I’m starting a designing course and I’ve been told a Desktop computer can be the most economical solution to handle specific softwares like adobe Photoshop and After Effects perfectly.
A desktop is definitely not "most economical", but it is most powerful -- especially for video work. And you can calibrate desktop monitors, and not really laptops/tablets.

Quote:
My problem is that I don't know any of the components (in terms of performance). There are AMD and Intel Processors and I don't know what's the best.
Video software tends to work better with Intel. That's always been the case. And Intel has always run cooler.

Quote:
And then there are the graphics cards.
Neither video nor photo really use graphics. I do some pretty hefty photo and video work, and use the onboard Intel HD Graphics 510 built into the CPU/motherboard.

Quote:
I saw reviews which said that to render videos properly you need a lot of RAM, how much do you think I should get?
That review was nonsense, if by "rendering" you meant video encoding.

But we need to be clear about terms here. "Rendering" is fabricating something from scratch. For example, Pixar movies are rendered. It's neither live-action no cel-shaded animation, but something made on computer. Those are computer graphics (CG), and CG is rendered.

Video work is using assets that already exist. You edit video, encode it, restore -- not render it.

So a review that says you need RAM/graphics to "render" is accurate. But that's also not video or photo.

Photo needs RAM. That's it.
And video needs CPU power and I/O (disk read/write speed), that's it. Note that GPU encoding sometimes happens, but it's pretty rare. Video almost never uses GPU.

Quote:
I have a limited budget for the computer (I already have Monitor and peripherals). Around 1000€.
1000€ = $1250 USD, and that's a decent budget -- especially if you're building your own. My top of the line (in 2015) Skylake build was about $1500. So you can buy a nice setup for that.

Quote:
From the ones I selected, which do you think will fit better?
To be honest, I see almost no difference between them:
- i5 Intel, AMD Ryzen equivalent
- 24ogb SSD
- 16gb RAM
- decent case, good cooling

I have to pick on of those, I'd probably get the "Desktop Gaming XI i5 7600/GTX 1050Ti 4Gb/SSD 240Gb/16Gb Crucial/Nox Hummer ZS"

- Did my advice help you? Then become a Premium Member and support this site.
- For sale in the marketplace: TBCs, workflows, capture cards, VCRs
The following users thank lordsmurf for this useful post: Pokerstar (02-15-2018)
02-15-2018, 11:13 AM
Free Member

Hi lordsmurf!
Thank you very much for your quick and complete reply!
Regarding Video I think I'll be doing both Video editing and rendering!
I apologize for my ignorance in the subject. I'm Only starting the course now
I think I'll order the one you specified! Thank you
02-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Free Member

Id go i7 7700k intel if your budget will stretch to it. Prices coming down with i8 out
If you can stretch to m2.ssd its faster
2X8gb matched pair. Latency according to your budget

Might want to consider a storage drive. Sata 4 to 6tb is cheap enough
Id go full atx if space isnt a consideration. Better cooling as bigger case
Decent graphics card.
Dont forget budget for motherboard and a decent psu
Id suggest a corsair 550w modular or be quiet one
Ultimate cooling would be liquid cooling but not for newbies.
Stock fans dont tend to be great. Look at noctua fans for case and cpu.
Depends how hands on you want to get.
02-16-2018, 04:20 AM
Free Member

Hi Wigam!
I'm not really looking into assembling a computer, because i'm not remotely familiar with hardware manipulation.
Thank you for the tips anyway!

Tags
buy, desktop, video editing