Go Back    Forum > Digital Life > Computers

LinkBack Thread Tools
03-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Free Member

I have a new Seagate 5TB portable hard drive.
When I plug it into my PC, the light on the Portable hard drive lights up showing it is plugged in.
In the "Control panel/hardware and sound/devices and printers" the Seagate PHD is listed.
In the device manager in "disk drives" the Seagate PHD is listed.
However, it does not show up on the PC (as G or H, etc.)
I can not get access to it to put something on it or to reformat it.
Can anyone tell me what I can do to fix this problem?
I would appreciate any help given.
Thank you
Someday, 12:01 PM
Ads / Sponsors

03-09-2019, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

You drive may not be getting enough power to work properly. Is it plugged into a USB 3.0 / 3.1 port. The plastic part of the port will be light blue, not white as on a USB 2.0 port. Or is the drive plugged into a USB hub? A USB 2.0 port or an unpowered USB hub may not provide the required power for portable drives.

If the cable provided with the drive has two plugs, make sure both are plugged in, ideally one into to a USB 3.0 port. Again, the extra plug is to ensure the drive is receiving enough power.

It's also a good idea to add one of these (dual plug USB cable) as not all PC USB ports provide enough power to properly use the drive.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, as much as possible, always unplug the drive at the plug end, not where it connects to the drive. The USB interface on the external drives are cheap and prone to failure, especially with constant plugging and unplugging at the drive end.

Also, add one of these to your PC toolkit. It's a dual plug
The following users thank lingyi for this useful post: lordsmurf (03-09-2019)